There's Something About Dragonball.. (Rory's 1000th post!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

There's Something About Dragonball.. (Rory's 1000th post!)

Post by Rory » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Woo! 1000 posts, it's nice to finally be here! :D
Gotta say, before I start the topic itself, I need to thank you guys, no really. This is easily the best message board I've ever been apart of, thanks to great moderators (Looking at you Mike!), and a brilliant community. Just coming on here and listening to you guys, sharing opinions with you, and just being involved is a great experiance! Whether I'm discussing my favourite games, most catchy songs, or just the franchise in general, it's been a pleasure being with you guys (and will continue to be)!
It took long enough to get to 1000, Rocketman, Kaboom, you guys are fuckin' nuts. :P
Ok! Time for a topic!
Now, we all know Dragonball comes in many shapes, sizes and colours! It can fit in your hand, or on a TV screen! With all these different ways to experiance Dragonball, we get different kicks out of the franchise.
My question to you may sound vauge, but that's only because you can answer it however you want.
What is it about Dragonball that keeps you here?
I've been a fan of Dragonball for well over 10 years now (pushing 14), throughout high school, my love for it only grew, unlike many other shows which got left in the dust. You don't get many shows like Dragonball, that are still popular as ever, 20 years later, not many shows have that kind of staying power.
There's something that keeps us all attatched to Dragonball, and the beautiful thing is that it's different for everyone.
I want to know what keeps your love for the series strong, because some of us can see the flaws of the show (Rocketman, looking at you again), yet still love it. Is it the theme of aventure? The characters? Music? Tell me, I'd love to hear what it is you love!

I guess I'll get things started. What I adore about Dragonball, is the world itself. The carefree world is awe-inspiring to me, when you see the colourful landscapes, and the people that inhabit this world. There's a sense of adventure everywhere, and even when things seem grim, you know Goku will pull through. It brings a certain feeling of innocence to the show, which adds to the greatness. Add this to Toriyama's fantastic character designs, and you've got (in my honest opinion) the greatest manga ever made.

Well done if you read all that! Please, I'd love to hear what it is you love, and I look forward to my 2000th! :)

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Congrats dude! I'm close to 1000...

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:57 pm

grats on your 1k - I know how long it feels to take to get there...took me years. :oops:

To your question, it's undoubtingly the charm of DB that keeps me with it. I keep mentioning watching it pilaf-buu with my roomate. Well we were going through a long "meh" period with it. Then SSJ2 struck and sucked us both back into it fully. DB knows how to tug the heart strings.
-Laserkid

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:14 pm

I have no idea why DB holds my attention as much as it does. One Piece, which frankly is better than Dragonball, doesn't keep me coming back at all like DB does.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 pm

It's the characters, hands down. I just... absolutely adore these boys. I mean I could seriously go into whole elaborate explanations as to why for each boy (see http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... 389#289389 for an example). But even the boys I don’t like much (Veg, Son) I could still go on and on about all of their eccentricities and possibilities that intrigues me. They're just all really well done, and fandom has helped add so many layers of story and interest to each of them that I'll never get bored of exploring it all.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:24 am

The things I love about DB are the characters, the designs of the characters, the epic story, and the abilities that the majority of individuals (good and evil) have.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:04 am

Characters. X3 It's always the characters that draw me to any series. I especially love when we get to learn new bits of information about everyone (thank you, Super Exciting Guide!).

Also, the "two years later" look at everyone in "Ossu!" was a goldmine for me. X3
Goku, having become ridiculously bored farming vegetables, has decided to entertain himself by playing several rounds of 'How can we upset Vegeta on purpose today (and not get caught)?' Not to mention it's like watching Vegeta's constant obsession with Goku come back to bite him in the rear. :lol: Like a huge case of "Be careful what you wish for!". He wanted Goku's attention, well he's finally got it.

And Bulma's all "Oh Vegeta, don't be mad at Son-kun, he's just being silly." XD
Chi-Chi would never let Goku get away with teasing like that though. She'd punish him for sure.

And the Son family's got a PC now! Gohan can go online! (I wonder what sorts of places he visits?).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:58 am

My love for the characters and nostalgia for the show.

It's relaxing to come back home from a hard day of work/school/real life in general and pull out a manga or surf the net for artwork to be reminded of the peacefull childhood were these series spent so much time in.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:21 am

Congratulations on 1000 posts!

In my opinion I believe it's the fans that have done it for me. When I come onto this forum I learn something new about Dragonball almost every day, I love hearing the theories submitted and looking at the fan-art whether it be a fan manga or just a quick sketch.

It all adds to the Dragonball Universe and gives me a feeling in my stomach where I just want to watch Dragonball or play the games. Seeing peoples collections of merchandise inspires me to buy more and reading about peoples thoughts on different matters on Dragonball makes me want to revisit Dragonball to submit my own.

So thanks, you guys. :)

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 am

Dragon Ball is like a drug in the anime world: there are so many things better than it, but it's just so damn addictive. :D

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:07 am

Congrats on your 1000th post!

What keeps me coming here is because Dragonball has been permanently infused into my life. When I started watching it, I got attracted to its action, characters, and the music. (I was watching the Funi dub at the time, and that music is far inferior to the Japanese version) I collected the figures, Becket Magazines, tapes, the little coin-things that came with figures, even the Dragon Balls themselves! (OK, the little ones that were packaged with the toys, but you get my drift)

Before I knew it, I just became obsessed with everything related to Dragonball. The characters, Anime, the music, even Akira Toriyama himself. Dragonball Kai is making it even easier for me to enjoy it. A new episode every week, just like the old days of waiting for the new episode after School ended each day. I even watch it live from Japan sometimes with KeyHole TV (A program that streams live Japanese TV) I don't think I'm ever going to forget the Anime that made me who I am today. :D
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:08 am

Well done on your 1000 posts Rory! :)

The first thing is it reminds me of the fun times during my childhood. My favorite thing about the series itself though is the idea that no matter how tough a challenge is with determination and hard work you can pull through it.
I also enjoy being able to draw fan art as well. There's something very relaxing to me about drawing in Toriyama's style.
Finally, Daizenshuu EX keeps me coming back for more because I know they'll be some kind of exciting update/news either on the site or the forums somewhere everyday!

Nearly at 50 posts now.
I've got a long way to catch up! :)
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am

It's probably nostalgia for me too. It was no masterpiece but it was so simple and fun to watch and read. The games always call me back too, no matter how good or bad they may end up being, their hype always drags me back in...

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 am

I think that for me, Dragonball is like a first car or a first pet. You will never forget them nor abandon your memories with them, even if they die.
As many people, Dragonball was the first manga I read and followed, so no matter what happens, I will love the series.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 am

It's the very fact that the series hasn't even started to die out yet, with all the new video games keeping me sustained.

I'm actually in the middle of a marathon of the entire series (just up to the world tournement saga) and it still keeps me gripped because of the quirky comedy and the character interactions, not to mention some of the heart pumping fights such as Piccolo vs 17 and Goku vs Vegeta.

Oh and congrats on the 1000th post.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 am

It's kinda weird how you're dwelling on your post counts...

I'd rather do a special interesting topic... when I feel like it, or on the date I joined.

What I love about Dragon Ball is the modest Episode count, manga volumes and characters. The designs and especially the colours, there's nothing like it.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm

The debates. In all seriousness, if Dragonball had a perfect story, no plotholes, plothax, and well thought out and placed power levels, it wouldn't be any fun at all to talk about. Think about it. If the Boo arc actually had statements like "This Boo isn't quite as strong as this other Boo over here," and gave no room for speculation, would we honestly be here talking about stuff like that so many years after the series has ended?

That's what kept me rereading the manga. 'Cause I had to be #1 and now I am.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:33 am

It's just a special series. Every time I think I've reached a limit in focus regarding DB, I somehow gain it back in like a week or so, and then I'm either reading or watching it again. It's a cool addictive series that always keeps you entertained no matter what. It's the first Manga I've ever read, and the first Anime I've really followed completely until the last episode of GT.

At first, well, the series didn't impress me much; I thought it looked funny seeing kids (I thought Gohan & Krillin were kids when they were fighting Gurd) unleash blasts while flying. However, once they started the episodes over on CN like they constantly did, I became a more devoted fan. I got to understand it from the jump, and then it just got better as time progressed.

I just love it.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 am

Velasa wrote:It's the characters, hands down. I just... absolutely adore these boys. I mean I could seriously go into whole elaborate explanations as to why for each boy (see http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... 389#289389 for an example). But even the boys I don’t like much (Veg, Son) I could still go on and on about all of their eccentricities and possibilities that intrigues me. They're just all really well done, and fandom has helped add so many layers of story and interest to each of them that I'll never get bored of exploring it all.
For me it is the sci-fi and adventure parts of the story, combined with crazy powers and incredible Japanese power-up screams. (Yeah, I am posting from Bali ;d)