Would you place Dragonball in your top 10 anime list?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Would you place Dragonball in your top 10 anime list?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:26 pm

I search for this thread and found nothing. But would you put Dragon Ball on your favorite anime list? Just to hear opinions since it´s a hugh classic.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:28 pm

I'd put it in my top 3.

Of course, I've only seen/read 3 anime/manga series.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Oh yeah I would. Dragonball would be my number 1, to be brutally honest. I'll post my top 10 anime (In no particular order, excluding the Dragonball series). I have many favorites, and it's hard for me to post a top 10... I've seen a lot and I think I'll post them later on.

2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Bleach
4. Fist of the North Star
5. Higurashi
6. Dr. Slump
7. Paranoia Agent
8. Sailor Moon
9. Cowboy Bebop
10. Shin Chan

I haven't seen all episodes of these animes (except for Paranoia Agent, Dragonball/Z/GT, Yu Yu Hakusho, and up to now Bleach), but they are amazing.
Last edited by .:PoetikaL:. on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

My personal list? Yes. Easily. DB's my #1. :3
I should mention that I consider DB/Z to be a single entity, so when I list Dragon Ball, I mean Dragon Ball and DBZ.

EDIT 2:
I've decided to list all my current favorites instead of just 10, as I've since recalled much more I could add to the list and have just decided that since I didn't want to leave them out, I'd just list them all instead. ^^;;

EDIT: Here we go. I'm so terribly 90's; most of my list isn't even on the air anymore. XD
Depending on what form I watched or read it in, I'll note it off to the side with an A or M.

A&M ) Dragon Ball
A&M ) Sailor Moon
A ) Cowboy Bebop
A&M ) Tenchi Muyo
M ) One Piece
M ) Rurouni Kenshin
M ) Azumanga Daioh
A ) Yu Yu Hakusho
M ) Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
M ) Saiyuki Reload
A) TTGL
A) Ouran
A) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
A) FMA
M) Detective Conan
M) Ranma
A) Trigun
M) XXXHolic
M) Kobato
Last edited by Chuquita on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Anime is really just an extension of animation to me. I like a lot of American and Canadian produced (animated in Korea) cartoons as well. But if I had to list my top ten favorite cartoons from Japan, I'd pick...

1.) Dragon Ball
2.) Cromartie High School
3.) Golden Boy
4.) Cowboy Bebop
5.) One Piece
6.) Samurai Champloo
7.) Trigun
8.) Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
9.) Medabots
10.) Gantz

Of course, that's probably almost 80% of the anime I've ever seen so that list is subject to a lot of change in the future. :P

Saiyaman Prime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saiyaman Prime » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:45 pm

I've only seen a few but mine would be.
1. Dragonball
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Berserk
I've also seen others but I've only seen a few episodes/didn't like them.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Anime is really just an extension of animation to me. I like a lot of American and Canadian produced (animated in Korea) cartoons as well. But if I had to list my top ten favorite cartoons from Japan, I'd pick...

1.) Dragon Ball
2.) Cromartie High School
3.) Golden Boy
4.) Cowboy Bebop
5.) One Piece
6.) Samurai Champloo
7.) Trigun
8.) Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
9.) Medabots
10.) Gantz

Of course, that's probably almost 80% of the anime I've ever seen so that list is subject to a lot of change in the future. :P
I forgot Trigun and Champloo. I loved those... this is why top 10's suck for me. :P

I separate Anime and Animation from others... it helps distinguish said shows into the categories. I would have a huge list of shows from the U.S. if I could list them.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Eh, no. Not even close, really. Don't get me wrong, I have a big attachment to Dragon Ball/Z. But I've developed taste over the years, and while it's a big source of nostalgia for me, I'm not so nostalgic as to put it on a pedestal.

My favorite anime (TV/OVA):

1) Cowboy Bebop
2) Legend of the Galactic Heroes
3) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
4) Fullmetal Alchemist
5) Mobile Suit Gundam
6) Vision of Escaflowne
7) Now and Then, Here and There
8) Neon Genesis Evangelion
9) Space Battleship Yamato
10) Bubblegum Crisis (OVA)

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z might make a top 30, but not a top 10 or even 20 for me.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:55 pm

I would not, because the anime is shit. It'd be at the rock bottom of any list I put together.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:I would not, because the anime is shit. It'd be at the rock bottom of any list I put together.
Haha, I see what you did there.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Rocketman hit it on the head. There's too much shoddy animation and just tremendously awful handling of padding/filler to really call the anime anything other than... 12 points from unwatchable, I'd say.

The manga, however, quite possibly. It's currently having a fierce battle with Bleach's manga in my stupid screwed up psyche.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Hehe... yes I would. Of course, I haven't seen 10 anime, but... It works.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Even though I like most animes better then DBZ, I would put it in my top 10 since it was the anime that got me into more anime. If it was not for DBZGT then I would not be a anime fan.

But yeah it would be #8 on my list:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Bio-Booster Armor Guyver
4. Bastard‼: Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy
5. Tenchi Muyo
6. Hellsing
7. Saint Seiya
8. Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai
9. Mobile Suit Gundam
10. Death Note or Yu Yu Hakusho
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Before I post my list, I just want to say that the 90's was a gold mine for anime. That is all.

I would definitely place it as number 1! I consider the three different series to be different anime within the same metaseries, so I'll list them separately. I don't watch many anime to be honest. Here is how my list would go:

1} Dragon Ball Z
2} Dragon Ball
3} Now and Then, Here and There
4} Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
5} Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
6} Full Metal Alchemist
7} Rurouni Kenshin
8} One Piece
9} Yu Yu Hakusho
10} Bleach

I've thought about watching Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. I know Cowboy Bebop is an excellent anime from what I've heard, but what is Outlaw Star like?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm like Inna. Anime is just part of animation for me. Yes, though; Dragon Ball would at least be under my top 10, probably higher. In fact, I don't think I could make a list of favorite ever anime. I've seen too many to remember, and what I like at any given time can change. There are one or two that never really change though.

In no particular order.
  • Dragon Ball
  • Slayers
  • Ranma ½
  • Tenchi Muyo!
  • 3x3 Eyes
  • Guyver
Those all hold sentimental value for me.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:42 pm

I don't think I can really assign a numerical ranking to any anime I like. I've seen some really amazing ones that spread across such a wide array of genres. I mean, how can you group a show like Texhnolyze with a show like Azumanga Daioh? ;p

DragonBall is definitely a favorite though, hell I imported it after all. Among the Shonen manga/anime I've read and watched, I would definitely give it a high ranking. It has survived the test of time and to this day can still bring a smile to my face.

-Corey

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Although my tastes are changing and my top 10 changes monthly, Dragonball is always someone on that list.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:50 pm

I admit, I like Dragon Ball the manga wayyy more than the anime- primarily because I'm actively using my incredibly rusty but always enjoyed Japanese skills. It's fun and fairly easy to read the original material, I have to actually look up words/grammar, so I get to really understand what's going on in the story and the language. And Toriyama's art style is always great to look at, it brings fuzzy warm memories of my younger days copying Goku and Vegeta from the old Viz monthly comics and blurry internet pictures! (we all gotta start someplace!) :o

With the anime, it's also fun to watch, but listening is more passive I guess. So then after awhile I zone out ,and POOF, I miss some important point because I have to concentrate to understand a language that's not my mother tongue and/or read subtitles. Some episodes are also a little painful to watch thanks to Toei Animation being filler-riffic in the 90s and some episodes, to quote BLGT, "drawn by the third string animation team!".

But, also, I don't really watch much anime anymore, so Dragon Ball is easily my No. 1 if I absolutely had to make a list? My freetime in college is limited so I tend to watch movies or US dramas/cartoons before I watch anime. The only other one I've watched within the past couple of months is Akira, I think. Which is also similar to Dragon Ball in which, man, while the movie is good, Akira the manga is great and beautiful and I never get tired of looking at it. :lol:

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Well yeah, that's why I've been writing about it for ten years and why I'm on a Dragonball board o_O

I don't know my top ten because I take this kind of thing very seriously,. but these are my top three favorite shows of any kind ever.

1- Dragonball/Z
2-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
3- Beast Wars

After that there's stuff I love (Gundam Wing, Magic User's Club, Serial Experiments Lain, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu!/TSR, the Samurai X OVAs, Hare & Guu, Trigun), but I don't know quite how to list them with everything else.
Last edited by Velasa on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Yes, of all of... one... anime and manga I've ever read, Dragonball probably goes at the top.