Kai Episode 30 (1 November 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Yeah, Recoome's new voice just isn't as interesting as the original one.

In fact, I'm not fond of any of the new Ginyu Force voices.

And also, wow, they took out a lot of blood. I remember this fight being pretty bloody in Z.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Undercooked Sausage wrote:I'm actually a little concerned with the intro spoiling Freeza's transformations and Goku's SSJ transformation. For someone who is watching Kai instead of Z(which will probably be fairly common in a few years or in later generations) they're going to know what's going to happen.
With the way Super Saiyans are plastered all over TV and the marketting...I don't think there is much to worry about.
One can easily shut themselves off from media, particularly if they're not watching Kai until it gets dubbed here in America off a torrent site or through a friends DVD/blu ray collection.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Undercooked Sausage wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Undercooked Sausage wrote:I'm actually a little concerned with the intro spoiling Freeza's transformations and Goku's SSJ transformation. For someone who is watching Kai instead of Z(which will probably be fairly common in a few years or in later generations) they're going to know what's going to happen.
With the way Super Saiyans are plastered all over TV and the marketting...I don't think there is much to worry about.
One can easily shut themselves off from media, particularly if they're not watching Kai until it gets dubbed here in America off a torrent site or through a friends DVD/blu ray collection.
I have a hard time pondering the hypothetical situation where people with even a passing interest in DBZ never saw Goku or any of the gang in their Super Saiyajin states. I mean wow SSJ promo art is absolutely EVERYWHERE.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:53 pm

TV shows have been spoiling future events in their openings (including DBZ) since the beginning of time!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:42 am

Kai_fan wrote:TV shows have been spoiling future events in their openings (including DBZ) since the beginning of time!
Western TV shows usually, it's not that common in Japan, or it wasn't that common..... Dragon Ball Z opening didn't spoiled anything much and didn't contained anything directly from show...... Also it was lot of effort to recognize Dr. Gero as that big red face in the third opening.....
It's the same for Dragon Ball.... Yeah, it spoiled only few major characters before they appeared and Piccolo Daimao in second opening is in shades and you will think about it: Wow, new major villain will appear as opposite to Kai: Ah yes, climax fight of Saiyajin saga between Goku and Vegeta.... Obviously, climax fight of Freeza saga where Goku is SSJ at the end, nice.

That openings have nice animation, but that's all, I'm missing lot of Dragon Ball atmosphere and magic from Kai.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:52 am

MCDaveG wrote:
Kai_fan wrote:Also it was lot of effort to recognize Dr. Gero as that big red face in the third opening.....
... Holy shit, THAT'S who that was? My mind has been blown.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:03 am

That's Gero? :shock:

For some reason, I always thought it was Kami. :lol:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

couz808

Post by couz808 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:13 am

Here are some screen shots of the new op.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:25 am

I was hoping they could find some way to skip Freeza's first two transformations entirely, since they were time-wasting, even if they were in the manga. But they'll probably have them.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:28 am

Here is the opening by itself. I'm sure our friends at Kanzentai are uploading this to Youtube eventually, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh7nz6jJerw

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 am

Yep, it's Gero, You can see his moustache on bottom of screen in the moment.....

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:51 am

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:22 am

Why add Goku versus Freeza in the opening, but still keep Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Yamcha at the end of it? They're irrelevant now.

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 am

penguintruth wrote:Why add Goku versus Freeza in the opening, but still keep Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Yamcha at the end of it? They're irrelevant now.
I wouldn't toss them aside, but do a transition to the ending scene just like "HEAD-CHA-LA" did when it went from the DB-cast to the DBZ-cast and Goku exploding into SSJ. More characters, yay! Not necessarily the exact same type of thing, but at least toss in Vegeta to the group (maybe in some pose like with his back half-turned to the group)... or something like that.

As we noted in the podcast this week, the Saibaimen still being in there alongside the new Freeza footage was a little weird. Shoulda thrown in some vs Dodoria or vs Zarbon footage.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:50 am

Toei is such a cocktease studio, making this awesome looking opening with SSJ footage, so people will be tricked to watch the episodes. :roll:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 am

Vino wrote:Toei is such a cocktease studio, making this awesome looking opening with SSJ footage, so people will be tricked to watch the episodes. :roll:
Tricked? I think everyone watching this has known for awhile that we're not gonna magically see episodes animated in the style of the opening.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:07 pm

MCDaveG wrote:
Kai_fan wrote:TV shows have been spoiling future events in their openings (including DBZ) since the beginning of time!
Western TV shows usually, it's not that common in Japan, or it wasn't that common..... Dragon Ball Z opening didn't spoiled anything much...
Well, the 3rd one did spoil SSJ Vegeta and, I think, Trunks killing Freeza.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:54 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:
Western TV shows usually, it's not that common in Japan, or it wasn't that common..... Dragon Ball Z opening didn't spoiled anything much...
Well, the 3rd one did spoil SSJ Vegeta and, I think, Trunks killing Freeza.
''didn't spoiled anything MUCH''

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Vino wrote:Toei is such a cocktease studio, making this awesome looking opening with SSJ footage, so people will be tricked to watch the episodes. :roll:
Tricked? I think everyone watching this has known for awhile that we're not gonna magically see episodes animated in the style of the opening.
Also it won't be Toriyama's revisited like it was written in beginning intros, because entire manga isn't drawn like the second half of Cell arc and Buu arc....

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Now that I've finally seen the episode, I can say:

Wha... music playing during Gohan's neck-breaker?!! BLASPHEMY!!!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.