In your opinion, has Kai been a success?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Yamcha beating Olibu.
Hey! That filler was about the only respect Yamucha ever got from Toei past the Saiya-jin arc.

It was an example of what filler should do, and that's give the spotlight to characters more or less ignored by the author. Watching it always makes me think of what Toei could've done with characters like Yajirobe and Chaozu.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:39 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Yamcha beating Olibu.
Hey! That filler was about the only respect Yamucha ever got from Toei past the Saiya-jin arc.

It was an example of what filler should do, and that's give the spotlight to characters more or less ignored by the author. Watching it always makes me think of what Toei could've done with characters like Yajirobe and Chaozu.
Well, yeah. In a perfect world all Filler would be excellent in some way or another (See: the Saiya'jin Arc). But indirectly implying that Yamcha could compete with Complete Cell is, well...a little careless.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Duo wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Yamcha beating Olibu.

Well, yeah. In a perfect world all Filler would be excellent in some way or another (See: the Saiya'jin Arc). But indirectly implying that Yamcha could compete with Complete Cell is, well...a little careless.
I guess.... but I will continue to cherish that filler because of my eternal longing for the human characters to get some sort of respect from AT, Toei, and the fanbase.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:I guess.... but I will continue to cherish that filler because of my eternal longing for the human characters to get some sort of respect from AT, Toei, and the fanbase.
Who?

---

If it makes you feel any better, I've long considered Tenshinhan to be one of the most respectable warriors to ever appear in the story. He'd make my top 5 favorite characters if I ever decided to have a top 5.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Akira Toriyama.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

penguintruth wrote:Some of the filler, stuff like Gohan's wilderness training, the gathering of Goku's friends after his death and their training, is great material, helps to humanize the characters more, and makes the destination mean more when they get to where they're going.

Other filler, however, just serves to do nothing but fill time, as the name implies.

Yes, obviously the filler in DBZ is unnecessary, since it wasn't in the manga, but at times it helps to flesh out the experience a little more. Not that Toei knows something Toriyama didn't, but it helps when you're watching a television program.

I find myself liking Kai, but missing some of the filler from DBZ, because some of it was pretty damn good. Sure, there's a lot of crap, like the Fake Namek bit or Bulma with the GIANT ENEMY CRAB, but there was a lot of amusing or well-thought-up material too, like the orphans in space, or later on with Goku and Piccolo's driver's tests and Tao Pai Pai trying to fool Goku with puzzle rings.

The "filler" I can't stand is a lot of the waiting around in combat. A stare down does add a bit of tension, but you can only go on so long watching clouds pass overhead before the mood is spoiled.
Wise words, penguin. I agree with this post.

... except for the part where you say that Fake Namek's no good. :P The only filler that bothers me at all would be the Afterworld Tournament. I like it, but I do think it messes with the pacing more than most fillers do, and it peeves me for some reason that I can't decide whether it feels more like it belongs to the Cell saga or to Buu.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Some of the filler, stuff like Gohan's wilderness training, the gathering of Goku's friends after his death and their training, is great material, helps to humanize the characters more, and makes the destination mean more when they get to where they're going.

Other filler, however, just serves to do nothing but fill time, as the name implies.

Yes, obviously the filler in DBZ is unnecessary, since it wasn't in the manga, but at times it helps to flesh out the experience a little more. Not that Toei knows something Toriyama didn't, but it helps when you're watching a television program.

I find myself liking Kai, but missing some of the filler from DBZ, because some of it was pretty damn good. Sure, there's a lot of crap, like the Fake Namek bit or Bulma with the GIANT ENEMY CRAB, but there was a lot of amusing or well-thought-up material too, like the orphans in space, or later on with Goku and Piccolo's driver's tests and Tao Pai Pai trying to fool Goku with puzzle rings.

The "filler" I can't stand is a lot of the waiting around in combat. A stare down does add a bit of tension, but you can only go on so long watching clouds pass overhead before the mood is spoiled.
Wise words, penguin. I agree with this post.

... except for the part where you say that Fake Namek's no good. :P The only filler that bothers me at all would be the Afterworld Tournament. I like it, but I do think it messes with the pacing more than most fillers do, and it peeves me for some reason that I can't decide whether it feels more like it belongs to the Cell saga or to Buu.
Well, it does take place a few days after the Cell Games, so I'd consider it a part of the Cell arc.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf