Christopher Sabat drops hints on Kai's dub...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:24 pm

penguintruth wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Even if it's great, it may be a "too little, too late" thing.

Unless it's EPIC. And Funimation doesn't do EPIC dubs.
Pardon me, but, what exactly is an EPIC dub?
An English dub that is easily on par, or arguably better than the original Japanese version.
I think it would be easier to list FUNimation dubs that DON'T fit this description.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 pm

B wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote: Pardon me, but, what exactly is an EPIC dub?
An English dub that is easily on par, or arguably better than the original Japanese version.
I think it would be easier to list FUNimation dubs that DON'T fit this description.
All of them.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Mr. Sabat and Mr. Schemmel are so heavily associated with their characters that the idea of them NOT doing a dub with them as Vegeta and Goku is incredibly unlikely. But if they performed well I could put up with them as long as half to three-fourths of the rest of the cast is done over.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Schemmel isn't any more associated with Goku than Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis. Most people don't even know who "the guy who does Goku" is, because Schemmel does so few roles and doesn't seem to do interviews.

Hell, other than his DBZ roles and Ninja Nonsense, I can't think of anything else he's in.

Chris Sabat, on the other hand, you might make an argument for. But he's best known for being "nearly every voice in DBZ", more than any particular one.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:53 pm

penguintruth wrote:Schemmel isn't any more associated with Goku than Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis. Most people don't even know who "the guy who does Goku" is, because Schemmel does so few roles and doesn't seem to do interviews.

Hell, other than his DBZ roles and Ninja Nonsense, I can't think of anything else he's in.

Chris Sabat, on the other hand, you might make an argument for. But he's best known for being "nearly every voice in DBZ", more than any particular one.
The voice Sean did for Goku in the series and the massive amount of media since then is strongly associated with the character to the North American audience, regardless of whether they know the actors name or not.

Mr. Schemmel also did Lucario in Smash Bros Brawl, the bad guy in Shadow the Hedgehog, and...well, here you go:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0770832/

Not saying I like the guy's version of Goku though. Bring back Ian Corlett, I say!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 pm

FUNimation does pretty much the best English dubs on the market, and practically thrive off of that at cons with the dub panels they help put together. If that sort of mentality can be given to Dragon Ball (which at this point is sort of a hand-me-down from the Watson years), something good might be able to come of it.

Accurate scripts aren't impossible, as Chris Sabat has proven (sans his constantly altering 8000 to 9000 in the video games). There just has to be the force behind it to make sure stuff isn't jacked up.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:01 pm

I just don't hear that much about Sean Schemmel in the anime community. Chris Sabat is in a lot of anime, so he's a somewhat prominent figure.

My personal favorite English dub Goku was Peter Kelamis, but even he was too inconsistent to be considered "good".

I would like Funimation to try somebody completely different for the role. And if they can't, give Schemmel some better direction. I'm certain that it's more than the script that's the problem.
JulieYBM wrote:FUNimation does pretty much the best English dubs on the market,
Mostly because they are the market now.

Can I get a Schemen?

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:18 pm

penguintruth wrote:
B wrote:
penguintruth wrote: An English dub that is easily on par, or arguably better than the original Japanese version.
All of them.
Fruits Basket, YYH, Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Beck, Baccano!, One Piece, Pumpkin Scissors, Mushishi... All fantastic dubs, on par with the originals... in MY opinion.

All dubs are subject to opinion.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Fruits Basket, YYH, Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Beck, Baccano!, One Piece, Pumpkin Scissors, Mushishi... All fantastic dubs, on par with the originals... in MY opinion.

I don't think any of those are quite on par with the originals, but all of them are good, or at least decent.

Though Fullmetal Alchemist has a terribly overrated dub, in my opinion. Not even near as good as the Japanese cast.

But I digress.
Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can I get a Schemen?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:22 pm

penguintruth wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Fruits Basket, YYH, Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Beck, Baccano!, One Piece, Pumpkin Scissors, Mushishi... All fantastic dubs, on par with the originals... in MY opinion.

I don't think any of those are quite on par with the originals, but all of them are good, or at least decent.

Though Fullmetal Alchemist is a terribly overrated dub, in my opinion. Not even near as good as the Japanese cast.

But I digress.
And that's your opinion. Did you know the Japanese mangaka likes a male voice actor for Ed better than Romi Paku?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Did you know the Japanese mangaka likes a male voice actor for Ed better than Romi Paku?
I would be interested in a source for that.

I don't think you can find a better performance in anime in the past decade than Romi Paku as Edward Elric. It's what made her one of my favorite voice talents.

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:34 pm

If we can't be on topic, I'll go ahead and lock the thread until we have more details to go on. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:53 pm

My apologies.

We don't even know yet if or when Funimation will license the show. It's a bit too early to speculate on the English dub.

Still want a new Goku, damn it.

Can I get a Schemen?

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:59 am

It would be wonderful if this was done correctly and aired on tv- then there would finally be a respectable face for the series to introduce people to, not... well, what we initially got.

I do have to express a certain amount of dry amusement when people say they could never replace a voice that was so well known. It's kind of what happened to all of us who were pre-season 3 fans >_> I wish you guys who like the new cast well, really, despite my everlasting bitterness.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 am

Recasting, huh? Very interesting!! I don't hope they recast Trunks as Vic Mignogna... :shock:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I'd love for them to cast a woman as Goku, it would be so progressive for theid dub.

I've not really heard Linda Young, has she ever done a manly voice like Goku or is she too high pitched?

Oh yeah, they could totally get Tim Curry for Freeza...

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Young's voice was fine as Freeza. The best performance from her were in Freeza's final, forth form.
It was the script changes that made things a little shaky, if anything.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Young's voice was fine as Freeza. The best performance from her were in Freeza's final, forth form.
I think Freeza is supposed to sound like a smooth, high-classed snob, not some creepy tranny. The script didn't help, but it was hardly the only issue.

They need to replace one YYH cast member for another: John Burgmeier (Kurama), who can sound sort of elegant, but scary, at the same time.

Young can continue to play Baba.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Can I get a Schemen?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Young's voice was fine as Freeza. The best performance from her were in Freeza's final, forth form.
The script changes, yes, as well as... HER VOICE!!!

You may think I'm a hypocrite for wanting a woman to play Goku, and a man to play Freeza, the vice versa of the Funi dub, but that's how it should be, it's who the characters are.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:49 pm

In the video games (PS2), they sometimes call Goku, Son Goku. And yes, I'm talking about the English version. Why not just do this with Kai when they dub it. The video game scripts seemed to be a lot closer to the original version then any other DBZ FUNimation dub.
but I do know they're leaning towards rewriting it and redubbing it completely from scratch.
I hope thats what he was getting at. Seems to vauge to point in any direction though.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.