Who has lost interest in Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who has lost interest in Kai?

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Velasa wrote:Seriously- we were finally getting all of that material that had been cut out of the old English broadcast back- why the hell would I then want to turn around and watch the show with it cut again?
...because it's crap? Image

Dr. Casey wrote:(Disincluding Rocketman since I'm not sure what his feelings on Kai are or whether he's still enjoying himself as much, and B because he won't be able to form much of an opinion until we reach a part of the series he likes, presumably the Cell and Buu arcs)
I approve of anything that cuts the bubbling fat out of Dragonball Z. The only thing I've heard about Kai I thought was dumb was the Makasomething Bruise, and if the price for eliminating the vast sacks of filler hanging around like bloated ticks is a teeensy bit of censorship here and there, well hot damn, it's a good trade. No baby penis AND no endless stare-downs? I win both ways!

That said, I haven't actually been watching Kai. I don't have much interest in fiddling with the internets for raw Japanese footage. If it ever gets dubbed, I'll be the first in line, though.

The Saiyan/Freeza saga is my favorite section of Z (other than Vegetto, obviously) by the way.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 am

Rocketman wrote:...because it's crap?
Nope. We've got different opinions hon, and I couldn't have been happier to finally see everything I'd wanted for so long. I can't imagine going back to watching the show cropped and edited up to half its length again when the anime is my preferred version of the series.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm honestly starting to lose a bit of interest, but that's probably because I have the first domestic Dragon Box set now.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I lack a DragonBox! Maybe that's why I'm still interested in Kai? Someone should do a poll or something. :lol:

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 am

I haven't really watched anything past episode 12.. though the music is entertaining!
I will however purchase the blue-ray boxes.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 am

I lost interest in Kai after the first episode. I didn't think there was any point in rewatching the beginning of Dragon Ball Z yet again in a widescreen format and shorter, no less and is in a way-to-fast speed. Kai should have been a completely reanimated series with no filler but have a steady speed and not feel so rushed. Also, Kai is pretty pointless in America right now, with FUNimation releasing those Orange Brick and Dragon Box sets containing the same episodes but with filler in it. To me though, the Dragon Box footage looks way better than Kai anyway.
You must have faith in who you are.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 pm

I watched it every week until about episode 15 or 16. Then I started to get lazy about it (plus, I had a really busy summer last year). I'm hoping for a Funimation dub and DVD release sometime this year or next. It's kind of their last chance to do an accurate dub of the Z storyline outside of the video game context. I guess the first hurdle, though, is getting Sean to agree to return and scream his lungs out for another 100 episodes.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 am

It was fun at first. It was kind of like watching a game you show and you had to guess which scene will be cut out and which will be Totally Remastered! After the third episode I realized I was watching Dragonball Z again except someone else had the Tivo remote and was skipping through all the boring and/or unnecessary scenes and episodes. DB Kai just lost it's appeal as soon as I realized it really didn't have any.

But the best part is, if you want to introduce someone to franchise you can now recommend DB Kai. Not only will they see it in REMASTERED-O-VISION! but they don't have to sit though all the boring parts such as "I'm going just stand here and stare at you for about, I dunno, 10 maybe 15 minutes into the episode before we actually start fighting?" I'm glad to say that my boyfriend is extremely interested in watching Kai with me. He's not a fan and he has only watched a handful of episode. We are waiting until Toei airs the last episode of the Freeza saga before we start.

And not derail this thread but should I record his responses after each episode? I'm just curious about a non-dbz fan point of view on the series today.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 am

Scarz wrote:After the third episode I realized I was watching Dragonball Z again except someone else had the Tivo remote and was skipping through all the boring and/or unnecessary scenes and episodes. DB Kai just lost it's appeal as soon as I realized it really didn't have any.
...but that is the appeal. DBZ, without the shit.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 am

I totally agree with Scarz.

It really has no appeal (besides the different soundtrack), except for someone who hasn`t watched DBZ.

And this is the best way to describe kai I`ve ever heard:
I realized I was watching Dragonball Z again except someone else had the Tivo remote and was skipping through all the boring and/or unnecessary scenes and episodes.
Enough said. I could do that with my own remote or in my computer cutting scenes out.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 am

rereboy wrote:Enough said. I could do that with my own remote or in my computer cutting scenes out.
Except that's a pain. I really don't get why anybody would watch a show if they had to do this. The appeal is a reasonably paced story.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:22 pm

B wrote:
rereboy wrote:Enough said. I could do that with my own remote or in my computer cutting scenes out.
Except that's a pain. I really don't get why anybody would watch a show if they had to do this. The appeal is a reasonably paced story.
The point is that I don`t find it appealing to watch a show that basically does what my remote can do if I want it to.

I mean, ya, it saves me the trouble of using the remote. What, that`s enough to make a "new" show? Why would I be interested in a show that is only that?

If I already have DBZ I can choose to watch the filler or not. One day I can skip it entirely, the other day I can watch just some filler, and the other day I can watch all the filler.

I agree that kai is more practical but the trouble that kai saves me isn`t enough for it to deserve to be a "new" series.

The only appeal it has (to me) is the new soundtrack. And that`s it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Dragon Ball Kai is a new series in the sense it is a second adaption of the Saiyan and Freeza arcs built using old footage. You certainly can't call it Dragon Ball Z as you would the actual Dragon Ball Z. New series, old story.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Another reason Kai is great to me is the audio quality.
Mono is fine, but Stereo makes me smile
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

I still watch every week to see Kai's take on the series.

I don't watch anime anymore besides this and Naruto Shippuden, so I might as well watch it.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Though I haven't watched in awhile (I think the most recent episode I've seen was 32?), I wouldn't say I've completely lost interest. I tend to save up the episodes and watch a bunch at once when I have some free time (maybe I'll catch up tonight!). Sure, there's not the same sense of excitement as when it first started airing, but I am still curious to see what they'll cut out, what music will be used for memorable scenes, and what random ass scenes will be reanimated in questionable quality.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm still keeping up. I was never expecting anything different than just DBZ, and I like the music and watching the show again.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Bura wrote:I faithfully watch it every week (raw).
The ultimate way to watch animeys in Japanese, folks.

If Dragon Ball Kai encompasses the entire story, I wouldn't hesitate in calling it the best show ever made. Finally, something other than the Z movies I can get my friends into! I really don't care about it being 100% accurate to the manga because I don't read it anyway (I have every volume of DB & Z but don't like it as much as the respective anime series), just the fact that it's streamlined at all is awesome. The manga doesn't have a lot of the cool lines from the dub (in fact I find manga translations as well as subtitle translations in general to be very wooden and inconsistent, I'm guessing because they're worked on by translators, rather than translators as well as actually good writers), the only thing I like better about the manga is the consistently good art, which is something that will probably never be solved on the anime front so long as anime episodes cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce. Kai is good enough though, episode 30 (Vegeta vs. Recoome) is so beautiful to behold~ :mrgreen:

The re-traced scenes don't bother me either, the only scenes that I thought looked awful were in the Raditz fight, and even that partly had to do with some of the generally bad art/animation that was present to begin with. I also missed Vegeta's watercolor mouth before he shot up in the sky ready to blast Goku, if anyone remembers what I mean. Not a big deal, though. The colors also remind me of Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! which I loved from an artistic standpoint. The new music is excellent, if somewhat repetitive (Kikuchi was repetitive as well, though). I always thought DBZ would have been better had Yamamoto scored it (Maybe then FUNimation wouldn't have changed the BGM, since Yamamoto knows how to rock \m/). Kai has also gotten me to love a portion of the series I could never stand previously, the Freeza Saga. FUNi, when you guys eventually dub this, please don't re-use Z voice recordings because the acting/scripts from that Saga are abominable, which goes back to the "something I can show my friends" point.

Sure, some of the editing may be sloppy, but this is a weekly show so it's understandable. Overall, I give it a 9/10. Let's hope they go on to do the best parts of the series, the Cell and Buu Sagas!
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm

I have never been all that interested in Kai to begin with. But that's probably only because I don't want to go to trouble of downloading it, finding the subs, watching one episode a day, ext. Though the thought of going to the store and buying a Blu-Ray box set of Dragon Ball Kai is intriguing to me. It would be a great way to introduce people to the series and I wouldn't mind a new cast for an English dub.

Thats the extent of my interest though. I can't hold it so it doesn't exist to me. It would be a much different story if it were new animation. I'd be all over that like a flies on a turd.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 pm

The best thing about Kai for me was the possibility of the new movies and seeing the Goku/Freeza fight trimmed.

Until those happen...meh...

I do like the new OP/ED animations, though.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog