Who has lost interest in Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Who has lost interest in Kai?

Post by KKZ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:14 pm

rereboy wrote:It really has no appeal (besides the different soundtrack), except for someone who hasn't watched DBZ.
I just caught this, and it doesn't make any sense. Besides me, there are plenty of other people on this forum that have, more likely than not, read or watched DBZ and find Kai appealing as well.
Last edited by KKZ on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:39 pm

I was speaking about my opinion.

To me, is has no appeal, besides the soundtrack, because the soundtrack is the only really different thing about kai.

The added effects and redraws are too similar to the original to be anything but a remastered version of the original and the edits, although somewhat useful, cannot be considered anything more than a director`s cut of DBZ which instead of adding new material like director`s cuts normally do, it takes material out, therefore without adding anything new to the show.

This is why I don`t find Kai appealing... It severely lacks anything truly new to the series and I don`t think that its anything more than a remastered director`s cut of DBZ. It doesn`t even deserve to be called a different name than DBZ.

The only thing truly new and worthwhile is the soundtrack.

Therefore, to me Kai is a remastered director`s cut version of DBZ with only one new thing, the soundtrack, since it doesn`t give us any new scenes (quite the contrary).

That is disappointing enough since I would be crazy about a totally new reanimated show... But with this classification in my mind I could still dig it for what it is...
But guess what? Even with that in mind, Kai doesn`t do a very good job... They added some censorship to certain scenes, their redraws have very rarelly improved the quality of the anime, their edits are helping the pace of the show but are inconsistent since they keep some filler and get rid of some canon, etc.

So that totally kills any interest I might have since I don`t have that much interest in the soundtrack. I just follow the "news" about the kai episodes out of curiosity.

If you don`t agree with me, and find it appealing... Good for you. I`m just saying my opinion.
Last edited by rereboy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 pm

The "except for someone who hasn't watched DBZ" part made it seem like you were talking about the fandom as a whole not finding anything appealing about Kai.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:58 pm

KKZ wrote:The "except for someone who hasn't watched DBZ" part made it seem like you were talking about the fandom as a whole not finding anything appealing about Kai.
Well, I was talking about me. Someone like me, who thinks like me, wouldn`t find kai interesting, except if that someone hadn`t seen DBZ.

I can`t speak for what anybody else thinks. Just my own ideas. :mrgreen:

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Fansubs as well and also, I've watched the series so many times, it's not worth the wait, so I just read what the changes and re drawn scenes were here

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 pm

I like Kai, but I'm not exactly a faithful watcher. I have all the episodes to date on my computer, but I don't watch one a week. I basically just pull one out if I'm bored, and even then I mainly watch the series where it desperately needed to be changed or if it covers one of my favorite parts. It's not really like a regular anime to me.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I watch it every week, raw.

Some parts are censored and other redrawn frames look like total ass,

but hearing the original Japanese cast in such good quality, as well as significantly faster pacing, is worth it to me.

I'll be buying the domestic releases this May, and look forward to a much more accurate English dub.