FUNimation dub of Kai vs full/original DBZ accuracy

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: FUNimation dub of Kai vs full/original DBZ accuracy

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 am

Rocketman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I can't think of a worse voice for Goku than Sean Schemmel.
Gilbert Gottfried.
Obviously I meant of the people who've already voiced the character for the Funimation dub.

But that is a colorful rejoinder.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:13 am

DemonRin wrote:That's how some of the actors in the dub pronounce it.
Yes, but:

1. It's not a Japanese word.

2. Go here, click the little audio button and tell me what you hear.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 am

Rocketman wrote:
DemonRin wrote:That's how some of the actors in the dub pronounce it.
Yes, but:

1. It's not a Japanese word.

2. Go here, click the little audio button and tell me what you hear.
Yes it is, it's a Japanese word that's a pun on that one.
It means "Destructive Turtle Wave" in Japanese. Get it? Kame, as in "Kamesen'nin" as in "Turtle Hermit" as in "The Turtle Hermit style's signature attack"?
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:51 am

DemonRin wrote:Yes it is, it's a Japanese word that's a pun on that one.
It means "Destructive Turtle Wave" in Japanese. Get it? Kame, as in "Kamesen'nin" as in "Turtle Hermit" as in "The Turtle Hermit style's signature attack"?
'Hame' doesn't mean 'destruction'.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Now you're just splitting hairs.

Fine, It means "Turtle Fissure/Cracking Wave".

Want me to go uber-literal, fine then.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

DemonRin wrote:Now you're just splitting hairs.

Fine, It means "Turtle Fissure/Cracking Wave".

Want me to go uber-literal, fine then.
I was pretty sure that 'hame' doesn't actually mean anything on its own.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:19 pm

My Dictionary says "Crack/Fissure" and that the Kanji is 破目

Maybe I'm wrong, Kamehameha is an odd attack that was made for the pun's sake, but regardless, ignoring the "Hame".
"Kame" Means turtle, and "Ha" means wave.'

It's a Japanese word with a pun on the Hawaiian one. The point is that it's a "Wave" attack made by the "Kamesen'nin"

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:I feel like I’m the only person on this whole forum who honestly thinks that MasakoX’s Goku just isn’t THAT cool.

Yes, it’s perfectly good for a fan parody and I like it just fine in that context… but all this wishing that the voice be used in an actual redub of the series is just blowing it entirely way the hell out of proportion.
I completely agree. You are not alone, as I have been stating the same thing in the past. I tend to refrain from posting about it because I can't tell if people are joking or not when they state that.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 am

I geniunely believe that MasakoX's Goku is exactly how Goku should sound in English. It's certainly miles ahead of any of the professional dub voices for him that Funimation has provided. It's not a joke at all to say he's the best one for the job. I've always imagined Goku to sound like that in English, and whnever I read the manga, that's the voice I hear in my mind, when I don't hear Nozawa's.

In doing a parody of the character, MasakoX has actually come the closest to capturing his personality, his free spirit. Or rather, it's Sean Schemmel's Goku that should be considered the parody.

Now, I'm not demanding Funimatin hire MasakoX, but they need to look in that direction, as far as the voice, to get at least a decent dub Goku. Hell, if they can get Schemmel himself to go in that direction, more power to them, and him. They'll be on the right track.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I certainly agree that MasakoX is by far the best English Goku ever, and he has the character down perfectly. It's interesting, of course, that he is basically aping Peter Kelamis, though, who was controversial when he replaced Ian Corlett. As for me, I thought Kelamis was great as Goku, and even though MasakoX is somewhat of a caricature, he seems to have enough talent to pull it off and still be natural.

And, yes, Kame Hame Ha should be said just like that, not Kamayamaya. Obviously it's not referring to the king of Hawaii, and the fact that it's the same word could just be coincidence anyway. To pronounce it the dub way destroys the play on sounds that was originally intended. Kamehameha sounds silly just like it's supposed to. I would use a similar argument as to why I pronounce Mr. Satan as Sah-tan instead of Say-tan, but I doubt as many people would get behind me on that. ^_~

Finally, in the end, I barely watch Dragon Ball Kai as it is, so I doubt I'll ever have any interest in watching the dub of it, but that does not mean that I won't have interest in them getting the dub right. I care about the franchise, so it is certainly my wish that the North American fandom gets out of its heads the misrepresentation of the series that has perpetuated itself since the mid-90s. The Dragon Box doing away with the replaced musical score is a step in the right direction. Now FUNimation needs to continue that trend of admitting their mistakes and use Kai as an opportunity to present Dragon Ball faithfully... finally.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:48 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:I feel like I’m the only person on this whole forum who honestly thinks that MasakoX’s Goku just isn’t THAT cool.

Yes, it’s perfectly good for a fan parody and I like it just fine in that context… but all this wishing that the voice be used in an actual redub of the series is just blowing it entirely way the hell out of proportion.
I completely agree. You are not alone, as I have been stating the same thing in the past. I tend to refrain from posting about it because I can't tell if people are joking or not when they state that.
THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS.

Seriously, I just can't wrap my finger around it.

And I wouldn't change any of the cast. In their current state, they're all perfect for their characters (IN MY OPINION), so there shouldn't be any issues with casting.
Gaffer Tape wrote: And, yes, Kame Hame Ha should be said just like that, not Kamayamaya. Obviously it's not referring to the king of Hawaii, and the fact that it's the same word could just be coincidence anyway. To pronounce it the dub way destroys the play on sounds that was originally intended. Kamehameha sounds silly just like it's supposed to. I would use a similar argument as to why I pronounce Mr. Satan as Sah-tan instead of Say-tan, but I doubt as many people would get behind me on that. ^_~
Do you seriously think that calling the attack "Kamehameha" of all things COULDN'T POSSIBLY be a reference to the King Of Hawaii and that's it's just pure coincidence? Like, really?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 am

penguintruth wrote:Now, I'm not demanding Funimatin hire MasakoX, but they need to look in that direction, as far as the voice, to get at least a decent dub Goku. Hell, if they can get Schemmel himself to go in that direction, more power to them, and him. They'll be on the right track.
I'm glad you aren't. They'd need to teach him how to act first. And they've already been doing the 'Peter Kelamis impersonator' direction. How 'bout a new one?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 am

Greenman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Now, I'm not demanding Funimatin hire MasakoX, but they need to look in that direction, as far as the voice, to get at least a decent dub Goku. Hell, if they can get Schemmel himself to go in that direction, more power to them, and him. They'll be on the right track.
I'm glad you aren't. They'd need to teach him how to act first. And they've already been doing the 'Peter Kelamis impersonator' direction. How 'bout a new one?
Well... Now that you've said it, I might as well make a post... I had a post written up saying something similar, but I was hesitant. Yeah, Schemmel's early Season Three work was definitely a Kelamis imitation... And look how well that worked... We don't want him going back into that direction.

I mean, how can one admit that MasakoX's Goku is nothing more than a Kelamis imitation, and then say that he is by far, undoubtedly, irrefutably the best English Goku voice there ever was with a completely different direction than any other English Goku? I mean, he's not bad, but where is this sentiment that he is the perfect English Goku coming from? How can you hate Kelamis, but love MasakoX? That would be like saying you hate Sabat's Vegeta, but love Lanipator's and wish Sabat would go with Lanipator's direction, which is... Sabat's direction... If there is one thing I can credit MasakoX for though, is that he does do a good Kelamis impression. His lines tend to be a bit on the flat side comparatively though, but he is doing this independently, for free.

Now, don't get me wrong, and I definitely don't want to come off too harsh, especially since MasakoX is a member of this forum, so I don't want him reading this and thinking that I'm completely trashing him; I'm not. I know it's opinion and everything, but it legitimately confuses me as to how so many people feel that way, especially when they contradict themselves while making that statement.

Like Kunzait_83 said: it just seems to be blown waaaaay out of proportion.

And also, you're nuts if you think MasakoX is superior to 23rd World Tournament era Schemmel. :lol: :P
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 am

I must be nuts, then, because Schemmel's work in Dragon Ball was just as bad as his work in Dragon Ball Z to me. And don't get me started on Chris Sabat's Piccolo in DB. That shit may fly with Piccolo Daimao (and largely worked with him), but with Ma Junior? No.

Also, to me, MasakoX's Goku is like Peter Kelamis if Kelamis was more consistent. Kelamis had his moments, but at other times sounded very forced and uncomfortable with the role. MasakoX always sounds comfortable in the role, like it's natural.

I've been back to the Ocean dubs of movies 1-3 recently (a few months back before my Dragon Box came in) and while Kelamis is still the best of the professional English VAs to play Goku (and I've said so here several times), he isn't quite as good as I recall, and lacks a lot of polish. I daresay, MasakoX has some of the polish that was necessary.

Okay, it sounds odd, just like I'm hopping on the Abridged bandwagon, but frankly, the other VAs in it just seem like mere parody voices, but MasakoX's sounds exactly what I imagine as Goku's English voice.

Look, I'm fine if they go a completely different direction, too. As long as it sounds the way Goku would sound.

Can I get a Schemen?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:26 pm

penguintruth wrote:I must be nuts, then, because Schemmel's work in Dragon Ball was just as bad as his work in Dragon Ball Z to me.
Dude, you missed the smilies at the end; I was messing around. :P

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:08 pm

I suggest a compromise. Schemmel stays as Goku, but he has to take a breath of helium before his lines.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Rocketman wrote:I suggest a compromise. Schemmel stays as Goku, but he has to take a breath of helium before his lines.
Nah, they can do that with computers nowadays... :lol:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote: And, yes, Kame Hame Ha should be said just like that, not Kamayamaya. Obviously it's not referring to the king of Hawaii, and the fact that it's the same word could just be coincidence anyway. To pronounce it the dub way destroys the play on sounds that was originally intended. Kamehameha sounds silly just like it's supposed to. I would use a similar argument as to why I pronounce Mr. Satan as Sah-tan instead of Say-tan, but I doubt as many people would get behind me on that. ^_~
Do you seriously think that calling the attack "Kamehameha" of all things COULDN'T POSSIBLY be a reference to the King Of Hawaii and that's it's just pure coincidence? Like, really?
Well, of course there's the possibility, but I just don't see it as likely. What do we know for sure? We know that it's a Turtle School attack, or Kamesen-style. It begins with that name: "Kame." It ends with a "Ha" as do several other attacks. "Hame" rhymes with "Kame." Sounds like Toriyama's style of humor. Plus, Kamehameha is by far the most recognizable attack from the show. You would think that, if he had lifted it from the King of Hawaii, he might have mentioned that at some point. But as far as I know, no reference has ever been made to the fact that they are the same name. And, perhaps most importantly of all, that's how they pronounce it! Even assuming the attack name was inspired by the person's name, they chose to take it in a different direction and emphasize the pronounciation gag. Honestly, even if Toriyama did explicitly choose the attack name to honor King Kamehameha, the fact is they still pronounce it the way they do, and that's really all that matters.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Honestly, even if Toriyama did explicitly choose the attack name to honor King Kamehameha, the fact is they still pronounce it the way they do, and that's really all that matters.
Well...they also pronounce it 'Seru' and 'Torankusu'...