Kai Episode 40 (17 January 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Kai Episode 40 (17 January 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:43 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 40, aired 17 January 2010

フリーザ最後の超変身!地獄以上の恐怖がはじまる
Furiiza Saigo no Chou-Henshin! Jigoku-ijou no Kyoufu ga Hajimaru
Freeza's Final Super Transformation! The Terror Greater than Hell Starts Now

Please save discussion for after the episode!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Kai Episode 40 (17 January 2010)

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 am

There is more censoring in this episode, folks.

When Kuririn blasts a hole through Vegeta's stomach, the scene is redrawn so the gaping wound and spurting blood are removed. Now there is just a large bruise/gash similar to the Goku/Raditz edit in episode 3. In the scene where Dende refuses to heal Vegeta, there is some blood left intact, but the hole is redrawn into a bruise again.

1999-era FUNimation would be proud of this edit...

"Freeza's Theme - Only a Chilling Elegy" is also used as an insert song in this episode as well, during the scene when Piccolo, Kuririn, and Gohan attack Freeza 3-on-1. Most of the scene is reanimated as well, with a cool motion blur technique to similate some of the faster camera movements. The scene where Freeza shoots a ki blast at Gohan is also reanimated, but now with a "rainbow" effect for the scene instead of a black and white color scheme like in Z.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:53 am

This episode covered 35 and a half page - all of chapters 303 and 304, and the first 7 and a half pages of 305.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:48 am

Somebody should tell Toei that using the same damn insert song more than once within a few episodes is lame.

What made them want to do this? You never even heard "Battle Point Unlimited" or "Spirit vs Spirit" after the first time in Dragon Ball Z. That's what made them special.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:In the scene where Dende refuses to heal Vegeta, there is some blood left intact, but the hole is redrawn into a bruise again.
Actually, that was fixed.
DragonBall Z - DragonBall Kai
ImageImage

Also, I really liked how they used that Freeza song again. Honestly, I was expecting CURE ~I'll Be Here~ as an insert song this time due Dende's passing.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 am

Using an insert song more than once can be justified for some of them.

For example, I'm not shocked that Only A Chilling Elegy is used more than once, since it could partially sound like a regular BGM (they didn't use the actual singer the first time, so it's not really a song, more like a music with church-like vocals - like Requiem, with that opera voice, but not an insert song, just a regular music track). They could keep the singing part for later, so that people unaware of the track itself will see it as a "real" insert song.

But the intro of Only A Chilling Elegy is likely to become a general sound for the rest of the series, that wouldn't be shocking.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:55 am

Wellp, looks like I messed up big time, opening another thread dedicated to episode 40. *sigh*

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:33 pm

penguintruth wrote:Somebody should tell Toei that using the same damn insert song more than once within a few episodes is lame.

What made them want to do this? You never even heard "Battle Point Unlimited" or "Spirit vs Spirit" after the first time in Dragon Ball Z. That's what made them special.
You heard Dragon Ball Densetsu 4 times in 5 episodes, though.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Adamant wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Somebody should tell Toei that using the same damn insert song more than once within a few episodes is lame.

How does that work out? O.o
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:16 pm

Adamant wrote:

Which was as bad a decision then as this is now.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Dragon Ball Kai - Buy all our CDs and Toys!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:48 pm

I really disliked that rainbow effect used at the end. It just didn't feel right for some reason.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:20 pm

Bura wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:In the scene where Dende refuses to heal Vegeta, there is some blood left intact, but the hole is redrawn into a bruise again.
ImageImage

Also, I really liked how they used that Freeza song again. Honestly, I was expecting CURE ~I'll Be Here~ as an insert song this time due Dende's passing.
Was the whole thing edited before though?
Does anyone have a Z-Kai comparison of the wound before this shot? Or was he just waiting for a chance to cry "CENSORSHIP!"
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 am

DemonRin wrote:Or was he just waiting for a chance to cry "CENSORSHIP!"
I legitimately forgot about that one cel of animation.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm

DemonRin wrote:
Bura wrote:
ImageImage

Was the whole thing edited before though?
Does anyone have a Z-Kai comparison of the wound before this shot? Or was he just waiting for a chance to cry "CENSORSHIP!"
From the same episode:
ImageImage