FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm

UristtheGreat wrote:Jheese better not have that annoying ass accent for Kai.
"It's time to throw some PAIN on the barbie."
Yeah I hope not. I also hope Reacoom's voice changes.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:51 pm

But plenty of sub fans would PREFER to watch it dubbed instead of subbed, but can't because of the poor dubbing...
Plenty of dub fans would PREFER to watch it subbed instead of dubbed, but can't because of the horrible voices in the original.

See what I did there? :)

Anyway, on a (more) serious response: Plenty of people enjoy the dub just fine, so obviously it's not that poor.
Panbkin -> "Boros," or something.
First... "Panbkin"? What the hell, Kaboom? I've only ever seen "Pumbkin" and "Panbukin" for him. How the hell do you even pronounce "Panbkin"? XD

Secondly: It's "Borgos". Doesn't make it any less dumb, though.
Uh, because the script changes make it a different show.
Doesn't even come close.
If it were dubbed at the level of any other FUNi title, then this problem would not exist.
It was. By the standard of its day.

And you're naive if you think that there wouldn't be complaints about the dub anyway.
By making weird casting decisions, ignoring Toriyama's script and writing their own, replacing the music so they could earn extra bucks, et cetera, they created a new show.
Funny, looks like the exact same show to me.
The Ultimate Uncut Editions, as well as the season sets for DBZ.
In which case the "Reversioning" is talking about their own dub, not the original. The UUE's are 'reversioned' from the first 2 seasons of dub because they've got footage that was originally cut and the FUNi cast instead of ocean. The Season Sets are 'reversioned' beause they were re-mastered and cropped. It has nothing to do with the dialogue changes between the JP and dub versions.
If Goku lets Vegeta go because he thinks there's good in him, it means Goku is looking for the good in all people and things and thinks we should all join hands across the world in song and prayer. In other words, he becomes a generic do-gooder.
Only if you take it to the extreme so that you have something to complain about. 8)
Are you saying these changes don't affect the way a viewer watches the story unfold? And these are NOT isolated incidents.
They didn't affect me any. As you said, Vegeta's back to being Vegeta once he's revived. Thus the 'sob moment' is wiped from the board. In the dub it feels like nothing more than a 'moment of weakness' and trying to play up to Goku's nice-guy-personality to get what he wants. Which makes more sense than "you're a Saiya-jin, a Saiya-jin has to beat him, so beat him" followed by "GAH! Kakarotto beat Freeza! I was destined to beat Freeza! I will kill Kakarotto and prove I am the greatest!"

Hell, most people I've seen even prefer Goku's dub speech to Vegeta in the Buu saga, to convince him to fuse, over the "Come on Vegeta, fuse with me!" x50 of the original.
I also feel safe as this IS Dragon Ball as it was meant to be seen.
Nope. You want Dragonball as it was meant to be seen? Go read the Japanese manga.
I'll occasionally check the English dub and, within two minutes, feel embarrassed, causing me to immediately switch back. I mean, there's talking when there should be silence, strange grunting, annoying voices, inaccurate dialog, etc.
Interesting. "Should be silence" only applies if you're watching the Japanese version as the dub has silence when there should be silence and talking when there should be talking for the dub. Which is what you're watching. Likewise to the 'inaccurate dialogue' comment.

Strange grunting? Annoying voices? I thought we were talking about the dub, not the original? :P
good English dub
And we get to the crux of my point with my post. "Good" is an opinion. Everyone has one, no one's is the same. We HAVE a good English dub, far as a lot of fans are concerned. Therefor, what you want is not a "good" English dub but one that is "different" than what we have and is more "accurate to the Japanese dialogue that I prefer" which would not be considered a "good" dub by everyone. :)
I just don't think it's that difficult to produce a tolerable and accurate English version of the show.
Accurate to the Japanese version of the show. Which is all well and good, I tend to like accuracy in things where I start out with one and switch to the other, but I do not consider it mandatory. Can I enjoy a dub even if it's 'inaccurate' to the original? Sure. Why? Because, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:You're misunderstanding me. Sub vs dub is a fine topic on it's own, but there are much better and more relevant things to talk about in this thread.
Like...?
Something about FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z Kai and not the original Dragon Ball Z.
  • Casting in Dragon Ball Kai
  • Direction of the series
  • DVD and Blu-Ray release of Kai
All of these topics can probably be discussed in relation to a previous Dragon Ball Z dub, or the original Japanese version of DBZ, but that's not what's happening here.

Sub Vs. Dub tends to come up a lot when you post. I wonder why that is... :roll:

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:All of these topics can probably be discussed in relation to a previous Dragon Ball Z dub, or the original Japanese version of DBZ, but that's not what's happening here.
Sadly people would rather argue back and forth about an outdated subject. Seriously does anybody really think they're gonna change penguintruth's opinion? Has anybody ever changed anyone's opinion around here? The best you can hope for is an "agree to disagree" when it comes to a dub vs sub contest.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 pm

I'll tell you what's NOT an opinion: The Japanese version IS the way it was meant to be seen. It's a fact. No one is being opinionated here. And to the absurdly long, and laughable, post above... the Japanese manga is the way it was meant to be 'read', not 'seen'. You don't watch a book, just as you don't read a television show. I just said that I've seen every episode of both the English and Japanese versions. Why would I lie about there being inconsistencies? It's not an opinion, once again. It's fact. The only reason you don't care about accuracy is because you'll take a bite from anything FUNimation feeds you. It's as simple as that. It's no reason to disrespect the original intent. How can you be a fan of something without respecting the original product? It doesn't add up.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:All of these topics can probably be discussed in relation to a previous Dragon Ball Z dub, or the original Japanese version of DBZ, but that's not what's happening here.
Sadly people would rather argue back and forth about an outdated subject. Seriously does anybody really think they're gonna change penguintruth's opinion? Has anybody ever changed anyone's opinion around here? The best you can hope for is an "agree to disagree" when it comes to a dub vs sub contest.
It's not out-dated, though. There was a redub of the first two arcs in '05, there were revisions in '07, and now a new dub is coming in a few months. It's very relevant!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Mountain wrote:I'll tell you what's NOT an opinion: The Japanese version IS the way it was meant to be seen. It's a fact. No one is being opinionated here. And to the absurdly long, and laughable, post above... the Japanese manga is the way it was meant to be 'read', not 'seen'. You don't watch a book, just as you don't read a television show. I just said that I've seen every episode of both the English and Japanese versions. Why would I lie about there being inconsistencies? It's not an opinion, once again. It's fact. The only reason you don't care about accuracy is because you'll take a bite from anything FUNimation feeds you. It's as simple as that. It's no reason to disrespect the original intent. How can you be a fan of something without respecting the original product? It doesn't add up.
Seen and read are the same thing. You can see the pictures and read the dialogue off the manga. How is it a fact that the Japanese dub is the way it was meant to be seen? Just because you say it's a fact?

That's great that you have seen both the English dub and the Japanese dub, and you found inconsistencies. Well, guess what, for some people it doesn't bother us. or we don't think it's big enough inconsistencies that it actually changes the story of the show.

"How can someone be a fan of something without respecting the original product?" First of all who doesn't respect the original product? Just because someone likes the English dub, that means we don't respect the original product? Second of all , maybe it's because the guy above actually liked the changed dialogue better than the Japanese script?
xyex wrote:Hell, most people I've seen even prefer Goku's dub speech to Vegeta in the Buu saga, to convince him to fuse, over the "Come on Vegeta, fuse with me!" x50 of the original.
He likes the way Funimation script has it better than what Akira Toriyama had it. It's a matter of an opinion here. Not a fact. It's a matter of preferences and how people enjoy the show.
Last edited by SSVegetto on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm a fan of both the sub and funimation dub and to me its simple parts where one outshines the other and then theres other parts where they both the same. I don't think anyone can tell me that the original japanese version of when future trunks finds future gohan dead in the rain is more better and emotional than the funimation version. Yes Falcouner's music has many repetitive parts like continuously playing the perfect cell theme but there are incredibly great parts like vegeta's theme when he go's nuts blasting cell after trunks's death. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong version, its a matter of preference, I just happen to be in the even smaller minority of enjoying both versions of the show
FOREVER FORNEVER

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Kendamu wrote:It's not out-dated, though. There was a redub of the first two arcs in '05, there were revisions in '07, and now a new dub is coming in a few months. It's very relevant!
Ok fine maybe it's relevant but does it always have to be bogged down by the same ol "Yes it is!/No it isn't" and "la la la I can't hear you!" type thing back and forth? Like Innagadadavida said there are better things to talk about but some folks just get tired of the same snarky, smug, and know it all type attitudes that you get in these dub/sub debates. It's played out and the conversation never goes anywhere. Yeah they're dubbing Kai and it's exciting and interesting so why can't we talk more about that!? :)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:At the end of the day there is no right or wrong version
I expect there's plenty of people who would strongly disagree.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 pm

*facepalm*

www.KristaMichaels.com

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:You're misunderstanding me. Sub vs dub is a fine topic on it's own, but there are much better and more relevant things to talk about in this thread.
Like...?
Something about FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z Kai and not the original Dragon Ball Z.
  • Casting in Dragon Ball Kai
  • Direction of the series
  • DVD and Blu-Ray release of Kai
All of these topics can probably be discussed in relation to a previous Dragon Ball Z dub, or the original Japanese version of DBZ, but that's not what's happening here.

Sub Vs. Dub tends to come up a lot when you post. I wonder why that is... :roll:
Except you can't really discuss the English cast of Kai without talking about your opinion of said cast, now can you?

Thus the draw back to the debate.

I shouldn't have to hold your hand through this. If you don't want to talk about that aspect, talk about something else.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

I or someone else will open this back up once we get more news.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!