DBZ Kai Dub - Ideal Recasts?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBZ Kai Dub - Ideal Recasts?

Post by Big Momma » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:56 pm

penguintruth wrote:jjgp1112, you seem to think that the difference between the English dub and the Japanese version of DBZ is the same as any dub of an anime and its Japanese counterpart. It's not. There's a gulf of difference at times, and it's irrelevant how iconic an approach to a show is if it doesn't meet the standards of the rest of the dubs on the market.

Anime fans have higher standards for dubs now than they did in the past.
But the DBZ dub, for the most part, is on from the past.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 pm

B wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I'm mainly defending the general thesis of Xyex's post. I don't think they're different shows. However the US Dub, just like every other DBZ dub, are different versions of the show (note: I said versions, not different show altogether) and why I should care about whatever differences from the Japanese version are in the dub completely escape me. Like, when I first started reading this site in 2004 and saw complaints about the dub being different I just thought, "And...?" It just seems trivial to me.
This is all really just opinion. Didn't you also recommend that FUNi change the Ginyu Force's theme to something "Power Rangery" a while back? If all you care about is watching the show in English, and the cast can spout off whatever comes to mind and it won't bother your enjoyment of the show, do you really think it's so unreasonable that the people who DO care get something half-way satisfactory?
Well, to be blunt, I really, honestly, don't. I don't necessarily not want you guys to have anything good, but it's not affecting me at all if someone else enjoys it, so whatever. I just don't understand all of the complaining is all. It's just a personal thing, really. Like, I have no problem with what you guys are saying and what your opinions are, I just don't understand them and have no reason to care at this point.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Penguintruth speaks... well, the truth. Opinions on the details aside, FUNimation is up to higher standards now, and they really should approach this with an attitude of, "what will make this a good dub?" The fact that such an objective will probably be somewhat put aside for the sake of preserving the same old, flawed cast from Z for the sake of "familiarity" is kind of a shame.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Mike and I share the same opinion: No need for re-casts if they get the lines and characterization right with the current cast. I'm not gonna watch the dub anyway so why change a cast that the majority of English-speaking Dragonball fans already like? Like I said on the podcast, I want an accurate script so that we can all be on the same page when talking about Kai.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Just recast Freeza and North Kai, maybe some extraneous Sabat roles, and you're done.

As for those who think the FUNimation cast sound like Saturday morning cartoon characters, I don't get that impression from them at all. Only in Season 3 do I even remotely agree with that notion, I love the dub cast and even I can't stand that shit. Look up BrollyXImhotep's DBZ videos on YouTube, try to picture the corresponding Ocean cast members voicing the FUNi quotes he uses, and get back to me. Even in the dub's worst moments, FUNimation's cast sounds leagues and leagues more believable and professional.

I don't even need to compare the two dub casts either, FUNimation's cast on it's own is very good and one of the most distinct, memorable (In a good way) anime casts out there. I agree with Gozar 100% when he says the cast only sounds bad or hammy when the script calls for it. All that's needed is consistent talent (Which FUNimation now has) and consistent script + characterization (Something much more uncertain but has still greatly improved) and I see Kai being much better than the Z dub, which I already love for the most part and have very few qualms with. I don't foresee my self having any qualms with the Kai dub as long as the core cast is kept, they're more than capable of doing the show justice now.

Edit: One other thing that I just thought of, it's impossible for me to envision the cast sounding like Saturday morning cartoon characters because various other aspects of the show, whether it be dub based or have roots in the original story and production, are completely different from that type of animation. Whereas when Saban had a part in the dub's distribution, and FUNimation hadn't been criticized for their editing, censorship, use of stock Mega Man music, corny ass Hanna Barbera sound effects etc. just yet, yeah, it was obvious that they weren't trying to be faithful to the original series at all and market it like a Saturday morning cartoon. Afterwards, Saban was out of the picture and FUNimation was pretty much just dubbing the show, albeit with Engrishy scripts to go off of. You can say the voices and scripts suck until you're blue in the face, but they're not even acting for a Saturday morning cartoon, so why would they even remotely try to sound like that? Some can argue this if they like, but Dragon Ball Z, despite being just as much a children's show as what we would typically think of as "Saturday morning," is way more intelligent, way more dramatic, is much more thematic and epic in scope, is a lot more heartfelt, and tackles subject matter that most "Saturday morning cartoons" would never even dare touch. Despite my undying love for the two shows I'm about to mention, the FUNimation cast weren't recording for Darkwing Duck or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The FUNimation cast were recording for Dragon Ball Z, which is on a completely different level.
Last edited by KKZ on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 pm

KKZ wrote:Just recast Freeza and North Kai, maybe some extraneous Sabat roles, and you're done.
This. This is pretty much what they should do, aside from fixing the script and directing. Anyone who expects a full recast is nuts, its not going to happen.

They need to approach script and direction like they approach One Piece. The show is already going to be different to how Dubbies remember it, because Sabat already said the script would be better this time (didn't He? I remember reading that)

Son Goku should no longer be the light in the darkness who protects the universe for truth, Justice, and the American way. He's just gonna be a hick who likes to fight. That's how he should be directed, and I think with good direction, Schemell could do it. Good direction Fixes a LOT of things. Just compare the One Piece 4kids Dub to FUNimation's dub of The Slayers Revolution. Same exact cast, Gourry is the Narrator in One Piece, Lina is Chopper in One Piece, and Amelia is Robin in One Piece.
In 4kids One Piece they were terrible, in Slayers Revolution they've done a REALLY Good job!
Given good script and direction, The FUNi cast could do well, just again, Recast Freeza, North Kaio, and Sabat's minor roles. And, Teach Schemell how to pronounce Kaioken.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 pm

KKZ wrote:....and tackles subject matter that most "Saturday morning cartoons" would never even dare touch.
There was a Very Special Episode of DBZ?
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm

DemonRin wrote:Son Goku should no longer be the light in the darkness who protects the universe for truth, Justice, and the American way. He's just gonna be a hick who likes to fight. That's how he should be directed, and I think with good direction, Schemell could do it. Good direction Fixes a LOT of things. Just compare the One Piece 4kids Dub to FUNimation's dub of The Slayers Revolution. Same exact cast, Gourry is the Narrator in One Piece, Lina is Chopper in One Piece, and Amelia is Robin in One Piece.
Yu Yu Hakusho was what first convinced me of this, because it made me do a double-take and reassess FUNi's ability. Chuck Huber stood out in DBZ, to me. he was a bright spot. He doesn't stand out in YYH. Not due to a lack of talent, but because everyone else is good too! Ok, I'm not terribly big on Sabat's Kuwabara. But then, Shigeru Chiba's a tough act to follow, and I much prefer Sabat speaking naturally (Yamcha outside of Z) to his forced gruffness (Kuwabara, Vegeta, first couple of years as Piccolo) unless he's doing elder demonic types (Raizen, Daimao). But just hearing John Burgmeier and Linda Young in roles that displayed their talent and didn't sound forced was a revelation. Especially Young. "She sounds like Freeza... but my ears aren't bleeding. Wow."
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, to be fair, Linda Young's voice she used for 4th form Frieza in the episodes she redubbed on the Season 3 set was actually really badass. She did his voice in a very calm and cool manner. It's a shame that she only did two episodes for 4th Form Frieza until they stopped having her redo her Frieza work.
Cold World (Fanfic)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:05 pm

KKZ wrote:Just recast Freeza and North Kai, maybe some extraneous Sabat roles, and you're done.
You're forgetting one very important voice: Son Gohan. Cute little four-year-old Gohan sounds like he's been chain smoking since birth. Does Funimation really want children to think he smokes?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Well, to be fair, Linda Young's voice she used for 4th form Freeza in the episodes she redubbed on the Season 3 set was actually really badass. She did his voice in a very calm and cool manner. It's a shame that she only did two episodes for 4th Form Freeza until they stopped having her redo her Freeza work.
Ok, I'll bite. Which eps did she re-do? I checked handful of eps and they sounded about as bad as I remembered, aside from a more consistent (read: better acted, yet more grating) Vegeta. So I gave up real fast.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Onikage725 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Well, to be fair, Linda Young's voice she used for 4th form Freeza in the episodes she redubbed on the Season 3 set was actually really badass. She did his voice in a very calm and cool manner. It's a shame that she only did two episodes for 4th Form Freeza until they stopped having her redo her Freeza work.
Ok, I'll bite. Which eps did she re-do? I checked handful of eps and they sounded about as bad as I remembered, aside from a more consistent (read: better acted, yet more grating) Vegeta. So I gave up real fast.
I believe it was episodes 84 and 85. For Frieza in general, everything from episodes 68-85.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I believe it was episodes 84 and 85. For Freeza in general, everything from episodes 68-85.
I just don't get why they didn't have her finish re-dubbing Frieza for Season Three... They could have eliminated so many stupid lines, and it would have been much more bearable...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:11 pm

A comment Xyex made in the chat inspired me to do this. It's my recast of DBZ using only actors who've appeared in Metal Gear Solid games! I think for the most part it actually works out pretty well.

Narrator - Paul Eiding (Colonel Campbell/MGS1)
Adult Goku - Beng Spies (Johnny/MGS4)
Chi-Chi - Suzetta Miñet (Eva/MGS3)
Kid Gohan - Tara Strong
Bulma - Debi Mae West (Meryl Silverburgh)
Kuririn - Christopher Randolph (Otacon)
Roshi - Allan Lurie (Kenneth Baker)
Raditz - Doug Stone (Psycho Mantis)
Piccolo - David Hayter (Solid Snake)
Yamcha - Joshua Keaton (Major Ocelot/MGS3)
Tenshinhan - David Agranov (Roy Campbell/Portable Ops)
Chaozu - Kim Mai Guest (Mei Ling/Twin Snakes)
Puar - Christina Puccelli (Sunny)
Kaio - Paul Eiding (Colonel Campbell/MGS1)
Vegeta - Steven Blum (Gene)
Nappa - Peter Lurie (Vulcan Raven)
Freeza - Cam Clarke (Liquid Snake)
Zarbon - Phil LaMarr (Vamp)
Dodoria - Barry Dennen (Fatman)
Ginyu - Neil Ross (Colonel Volgin)
Reacoom - Richard Doyle (The Fury)
Jheese - Charlie Schlatter (Major Raikov)
Butta - Gregg Berger (The Pain)
Gurd - Michael Bell (The Fear)
Trunks - Quinton Flynn (Raiden)
Dr. Gero/20 - Patric Zimmerman (Revolver Ocelot/MGS1)
Android 19 - Barry Dennen (Fatman)
Android 17 - Robin Atkin Downes (Master Miller/Peace Walker)
Android 18 - Jennifer Hale (Naomi Hunter/Twin Snakes)
Android 16 - Larc Spies (Null)
Cell - Cam Clarke ("Master Miller"/MGS1)
Mr. Satan - Noah Nelson (Lieutenant Cunningham)
Adult Gohan - Beng Spies (Johnny/MGS4)
Goten - Tara Strong
Kid Trunks - Jennifer Hale
Videl - Heather Halley (Para-Medic)
Kaioshin - Jim Piddock (Major Zero)
Kibito - Greg Eagles ("Donald Anderson"/MGS1)
Old Kaioshin - Grant Albrecht (The End)
Babidi - Dwight Schultz (Python)
Dabra - John Cygan (Solidus Snake)
Boo - Fred Tatasciore ("Beast" voice, Beauty and the Beast Unit)
­

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 pm

I dunno about Chuck Huber as #17. I mean, if you listen to EVERY role he's played, he uses the same exact voice with very little to no change at all in tone.

Every time I hear dub #17, I hear Hiei or Shin-chan's dad.

And since we're going with ideal recasts, I still say bringing back Scott McNeil for Piccolo would have been the grandest thing to do. ;_;
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Tsukento wrote:I dunno about Chuck Huber as #17. I mean, if you listen to EVERY role he's played, he uses the same exact voice with very little to no change at all in tone.
Garlic Jr.? Crane Hermit?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Still roughly the same voice with slight alterations, really. :p
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 pm

I dunno, I'd say Huber's Garlic Jr. is distinct enough to where, while I could tell that it was Chuck Huber, I wouldn't think "No. 17."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Tsukento wrote:Still roughly the same voice with slight alterations, really. :p
According to Huber on the audio commentary for Movie One he only has three voices: Pilaf, Hiei/#17, and...himself. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Tsukento wrote:Still roughly the same voice with slight alterations, really. :p
According to Huber on the audio commentary for Movie One he only has three voices: Pilaf, Hiei/#17, and...himself. :p
Y'know, when I first listened to the Dead Zone commentary, I was expecting a voice similar to Android 17's. I was very shocked to find that Garlic Jr. is closer to his natural voice than Android 17/Hiei :shock:
Cold World (Fanfic)