Best case of character development

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Best case of character development

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:16 pm

In your opinion, which character do you think had the best character development?
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kiyza
Regular

Re: Best case of character development

Post by Kiyza » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Probably Piccolo, since he went from being more or less pure evil to as Vegetto EX has put it, "Uncy Piccolo." But Vegeta's got a good bit of character development, as do Yamcha and Tenshinhan, who are more or less ignored in the grand scheme of things.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:23 pm

It's Piccolo, without a doubt. I mean, he's the ultimate evil, then is reborn, and through twists of fate becomes an ally and mentor to the younger generations.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:20 pm

I heartily disagree. Vegeta tops Piccolo, and here is why:

1. Piccolo was created as pure evil. Vegeta was born a regular mortal being who chooses to go evil.

2. Piccolo gets lots of help in turning good.
-When he is reborn after King Piccolo's death, Piccolo is magically less evil. He's content to wait through a martial arts tournament, for one; would the Demon King have done so? More glaring, Raditz goes to Hell instead of being stuck in limbo, meaning that Piccolo is already less evil long before he meets Gohan. Kami even says this outright.
-He fuses with Nail, altering his personality.
-He fuses with Kami, further altering his personality.

Vegeta gets none of this. He has to change slowly and painfully, ie naturally.

3. Vegeta's change doesn't have any bullshit. A large part of Piccolo's that's not magically granted is attributed to him becoming good by kidnapping, abusing and torturing a small child. The other major bad guy turned good is Tien, who turns good over the course of a couple hours after a short conversation with the rival of his school.

GohanRez
Banned

Post by GohanRez » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 pm

It has to be Vegeta because of all the moments we have in the series were we take a deep look into his emotions and train of thought. Also the drastic changes and struggles he goes to, great character.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Let's just end this thread right now, if all agree that Vegeta had the best character development. Cool? Cool.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Scarz wrote:Let's just end this thread right now, if all agree that Vegeta had the best character development. Cool? Cool.
"Best" is a matter of opinion, not fact, so I believe that this thread should stay open. And I certainly never agreed with the above statement.

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Vegeta or Piccolo most likely. They're the two who changed the most over a period of time
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 am

Kiyza wrote:
Scarz wrote:Let's just end this thread right now, if all agree that Vegeta had the best character development. Cool? Cool.
"Best" is a matter of opinion, not fact, so I believe that this thread should stay open. And I certainly never agreed with the above statement.
YOU FOOL! Now the thread will go on with members pointlessly denying the fact that Vegeta did indeed have better character development. They'll start rambling on about Piccolo or some such nonsense. You've ruined everything!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 am

Gohan had character development...
Mr. Satan? :P
I'd probably put it more between Gohan and Vegeta. Hm.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:24 am

Scarz wrote:YOU FOOL! Now the thread will go on with members pointlessly denying the fact that Vegeta did indeed have better character development. They'll start rambling on about Piccolo or some such nonsense. You've ruined everything!
Good, that means it's all going according to plan... *Insert evil laughter here*

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 am

I go with Piccolo on the grounds, that if you include GT, the guy ends up coming full circle. Piccolo has evolved and given up himself (personality wise) since the original DB series.

He's integrated the personalities of Piccolo Diamo, Nail, and Kami with his own core personality to become someone totally different from when he started. He starts off carrying on a plan his father started; Destroy Goku and take over the Earth. He kills his rival to fulfill the greater result of saving the world. He trains and ultimately sacrifices himself to save the life of his rival's son. He sacrifices his personality on not one but two occasions to save people he states are not his friends. He even denies that he has lost his evil nature (when he knows he has).

He realizes that his time as a warrior has passed and willingly transitions to the role of mentor. Later, he sacrifices himself for a planet he was once created to take over. Finally, he sacrifices his afterlife in the Afterworld to save Goku, the man he was created to destroy since the original DB series.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm

the_abberration wrote:I go with Piccolo on the grounds, that if you include GT, the guy ends up coming full circle. Piccolo has evolved and given up himself (personality wise) since the original DB series.
That's because he never was the Demon King Piccolo.

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 pm

I feel Piccolo more or less completes his character development after the Namek saga. The best would be Gohan or Vegeta imo. Gohan goes from wimpy school boy to frightened 5 year old badass, back and fourth until he hits ss2. From then on he reverts back to his stupid self as Great Saiyaman, and then finally goes Mystic.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:54 pm

I would say the Gohan from Trunks timeline.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Vegeta. While Piccolo's was okay, It felt too quick compared to Vegeta's. Let me explain. Piccolo's turn to good was in Saiyan saga and by the end he was already at the sacrifice himself to save other's point. That's bad development in my opinion as I compare the two to stories it works like this;

Piccolo's is like The Grinich. When he saves Gohan the way he does, It's a quick sudden change like "His heart grew three sizes that day."

Vegeta's is more realistic as it's more of an arc. He's evil, Then he's with them just too kill freeza. By the time Cell comes around he's a little softer but also not quiet a self-sacrificing hero. Even when he attacks Cell after Trunks is hurt/killed. It's not a "My son I'll avenge you." thing. It's a "YOU BASTARD!" type thing. It's all because he's pissed off.

We skip to Buu and Goku is dead, He has no real reason to fight. He settles down. He has a family. He's almost there but he needs closure. Goku is like his Moby-Dick. Knowing he's coming back pushes him over the edge. He trains harder, He needs to get closure with Goku in order to move on.

Enter Majin Vegeta. A literal manifestation of his obsession. He's at real conflict with himself. On the one hand he loves his family. On the other he taken as child and taught to be the best Saiyan and yet a weaker one has surpassed him? After he has dealt with Goku he then sacrifices himself. Not a quick one to save one life but a death to make the world safe for his family.

Then when he returns. He is willing to put on the earring and fuse with Goku. A huge turn for him. Not only does he see Goku as an idiot but he hated him. He still does it. This leads slowly to him actually wanting Goku to save the day with a spirit bomb. Can you see Freeza saga Vegeta been so trusting of Goku? He also gets final closure of undoing his evil and befriending Goku.

As you see Vegeta acts very human-like in his struggle to been a hero. It's a much more realistic and deeper way. His development is far beyond Piccolo's, Goku's or even Gohan's.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 pm

I agree with Rocketman - Vegeta's was much more realistic than Piccolo's. So I go with Vegeta on this and Tenshinhan second.
Just Saiyan...

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Am I the only one not to think as Vegeta as pure evil from the start? Sure, in the Saiya-jin Arc he was badass, but I sensed he was kinda like Piccolo was in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, when he came to Namek.
I mean, Piccolo waited through the whole tournament before trying to kill Goku, but it was more to see how much competition he had. He even saw Krillin as a possible threat. He had been away for several years, and knew his father died because of that he wasn't careful enough.
And he strived for the sake of evil to take over the world, whilst Vegeta mostly made his evil deeds for his personal, egoistical sake.
For some reason, I sense that Piccolo and Vegeta are the same type of guy (personality and pride included) in the Namek arc and beyond, although Piccolo is considered one of the good guys.

But when it comes to character development, Vegeta clearly is one step ahead of Piccolo, but both take the role of a fatherly character (Piccolo in Gohan, and Vegeta in Trunks), and sense their responsibilities in the end.
But, yeah, I would put Vegeta as the character that developed the most of the two of them.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 am

caejones wrote:Gohan had character development...
He goes from wimpy bitch to wimpy bitch. Where's the development?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
caejones wrote:Gohan had character development...
He goes from wimpy bitch to wimpy bitch. Where's the development?
I disagree, Gohan goes through quite a lot. He begins as the over-protected wimpy child, who'd never dream of fighting, but he's thrown into many situations which toughens him up, and we see more and more, from Saiyan to Namek and eventually to Cell, that he's a dependable fighter, for his age this is pretty impressive. Hell, when it comes to fighting Dabura, he wants to fight.