"Over 9000" kept in Dragon Ball Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Over 9000" kept in Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Well, to be fair, 9000 IS "Over 8000", so Vegeta, I guess, was just being overly specific?

Would a letter writing campaign to FUNimation to get them to change the line to 8000 work? It couldn't possibly hurt.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm

9000. 8000. It would be nice to see 8000, but 9000 isn't going to ruin the dub for me. Dr. Gero's role in the Red Ribbon Army is a different matter, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:55 pm

The last Saiyan arc episode is what, episode 16? If they're releasing the first 13 episodes in May, they've probably already dubbed that scene.
-Rachel

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 pm

TripleRach wrote:The last Saiyan arc episode is what, episode 16? If they're releasing the first 13 episodes in May, they've probably already dubbed that scene.
Aye, as I do believe the scene is in #12.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am

Lance Freeman wrote:Would a letter writing campaign to FUNimation to get them to change the line to 8000 work? It couldn't possibly hurt.
As if they've ever listened to a DragonBall fan. If they did, their script would've been a whooole lot better.

Then again, not every DragonBall fan is like us...
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 am

Do people REALLY think changing 'Over 8000" to "Over 9000" is that big of a deal?

I'm more worried about... EVERYTHING ELSE! Heck, If they had Vegeta say "Over 9000" and even threw in a "Mondo Cool" for Kuririn, I'd still be fine as long as the major fucked up lines get fixed.

Vegeta shouldn't ask Son to join him at the beginning of their fight, Son shouldn't snap back with a "witty" line about "job security". Freeza shouldn't make homoerotic comments to Son. Son shouldn't be the 'Light in the Darkness, Ally to good, Nightmare to" Freeza. Yamucha shouldn't randomly sing "Cat Loves food, Yeah yeah Yeah!". Every single innocent bystander shouldn't have the same uneducated hick accent. While we're at it, Jheese shouldn't have a bad Aussie accent either.

As long as they fix all of that and everything else wrong, I don't care if they keep something as minor as "Over 9000".
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Also, Vegeta needs to get "My heart is pure--PURE EVIL!" and his first Big Bang Attack back.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm not gonna lie, I love the accent they gave Jheese. Especially when Goku smashes his face in with one punch. The whine was priceless.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:58 pm

I like the "Job security" joke and the "Ally to good" line. >.>
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Xyex wrote:I like the "Job security" joke and the "Ally to good" line. >.>
As lines themselves they're pretty funny. If I saw the "job security" quip in a Spider-Man comic I'd think it fit right in. Although both of those lines really aren't something that would come out of Goku's mouth. It's kind of the equivalent of making Crocodile talk about "Desert Doo Doo" in reverse.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:09 pm

I'd like it if they got the line right, but I have no doubt that they will keep "Over 9,000." They just will. I'm practically sure of it. Hmm, I wonder if we can turn this into a gambling thread. I'd bet money they say "Over 9,000." :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'd like it if they got the line right, but I have no doubt that they will keep "Over 9,000." They just will. I'm practically sure of it. Hmm, I wonder if we can turn this into a gambling thread. I'd bet money they say "Over 9,000." :D

You wanna bet how much money I'd bet?
:wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I'd like it if they got the line right, but I have no doubt that they will keep "Over 9,000." They just will. I'm practically sure of it. Hmm, I wonder if we can turn this into a gambling thread. I'd bet money they say "Over 9,000." :D

You wanna bet how much money I'd bet?
:wink:
Would you bet $9,001? :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 pm

If it is not 8,000, I will eat the hat I am wearing.
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Flamzeron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flamzeron » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 am

Based on what I've heard from what FUNimation has planned for the dub, I think they might go with "Over 8000".

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:43 pm

It would be hilarious if there's a quip in the trailer or back of the box about that. "This time...it's over 8000!" or something like that.

Even more unlikely yet awesome would be a translation note during the scene that said "It was originally 8000, not 9000" placed in the corner during the dub "signs" subtitle track.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

Blue wrote:
Xyex wrote:I like the "Job security" joke and the "Ally to good" line. >.>
As lines themselves they're pretty funny. If I saw the "job security" quip in a Spider-Man comic I'd think it fit right in. Although both of those lines really aren't something that would come out of Goku's mouth. It's kind of the equivalent of making Crocodile talk about "Desert Doo Doo" in reverse.
And the "Ally to good, nightmare to you" line seems more in-place coming out of Superman's mouth, which is what FUNi tried to turn Son into.

It just doesn't fit the character in the slightest.
Also, the "Job Security" joke was dumb because it changes one of the best lines in the series!

Vegeta: I'm an elite and you're nothing but a low-class little worm! The strong elite are kept behind while the low-class weaklings like you are sent to other planets to conquer them as children.
Son Goku: If being "Low-Class" is why I was sent to Earth, then I'm glad. Here on Earth, we believe a "Low-Class" can beat an elite if he works hard enough.
Vegeta: Heh heh, an amusing joke. Very well then, let me show you the wall of power you could never even hope to overcome...
(I'm paraphrasing some)

That entire line was changed into the "Wana Join me?" "No, bad Job Security" quip in the original dub. It entirely changes Vegeta's character in one scene from an elitist prick who just wants to kill Son and killed his partner for losing to such a "Low-class" work to a generic villain who wants to recruit people to help him take over the universe... despite the fact that he just killed his friend...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Frankly, I don't care anymore whether they include "Over 9000" or not. It won't diminish the appeal of Dragon Ball Kai, anyway. If the script does end up to be faithful to the original manga, then it's a possibility that the "9000" line will be replaced with "8000". However, what with how the "9000" line has become so famous now (so much that it has become recognizable even among non-DBZ fans), they might keep in.

I bet they do keep it in though. Whatever they do, I'll be fine as long as the script is accurate and the voice actors plan the right direction for their character portrayal.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.