Kai Episode 44 (14 February 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 44 (14 February 2010)

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I was waiting for big haired Super Saiyan and Goku have already his head big almost as the planet........ God damn it, how I hate the anime version of Freeza arc and all those stoned animators. With Kai's redrawns, it's quite overdozed.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

What's the point in redrawing only Freeza and not Goku? are they trying to get the watcher pissed? Craptistic episode overall, the music annoyed me and the keep of Bulma-Ginyu was pointless. They really need to start using other music because I keep hearing the same shit in every episode.
Chuquita wrote: Episode 92's footage is coming up, I wonder if they're going to cut out Goku's underwater visions (or subsequently, will Toei give the naked Vegeta digital underwear?).
That part was a filler, and I hope they don't use it, since they might ruin it with the crappy music.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Vino wrote:They really need to start using other music because I keep hearing the same shit in every episode.
You mean like in Dragonball Z (both versions)?

I love it how some people act like Dragonball Z had a new track every episode or something. The music changed very little over the first 200 episodes.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Vino wrote:They really need to start using other music because I keep hearing the same shit in every episode.
You mean like in Dragonball Z (both versions)?

I love it how some people act like Dragonball Z had a new track every episode or something. The music changed very little over the first 200 episodes.
Kai music is more overused than Z....and at least Z music was enjoyable.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Vino wrote:Kai music is more overused than Z....and at least Z music was enjoyable.
They're the soundtracks of their respective shows. They're not just gonna up and change it every five or ten episodes. Nobody does that. Nobody.

Also, the Kai music is enjoyable.
(they/she)

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm

I liked how in Z the epicness of Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan for the first time was matched by the epicness of... the song previously used every time Nappa blinked.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Vino wrote:Kai music is more overused than Z....and at least Z music was enjoyable.
They're the soundtracks of their respective shows. They're not just gonna up and change it every five or ten episodes. Nobody does that. Nobody.

The thing is, Kai has more tracks that they don't even use. If you checked the OST, there are numerous tracks that weren't even played once.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Vino wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

The thing is, Kai has more tracks that they don't even use. If you checked the OST, there are numerous tracks that weren't even played once.
Hold on.

*whips out the PSP and starts playing the first Kai OST*

Except for Track 18 and the 4 unused bonus tracks at the end, I recognize every last song from the first 16 to 20 episodes of Kai.
(they/she)

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Now check OST 2.

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Except shows that are scored-to-picture, which Kai deserved, and which even the dub (largely) was.

Faulconer may be Faulconer, and while his music may have been monotonous with one moment barely distinguishable from the next, at least it wasn't gratingly repetitive.

Kai's score is a huge "dropping of the ball," and easily the worst thing about the show.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Kai_fan wrote:Faulconer may be Faulconer, and while his music may have been monotonous with one moment barely distinguishable from the next, at least it wasn't gratingly repetitive.
Isn't this sentence an oxymoron?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I think you guys should be directed your anger towards the arranger not the composer. :?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Kai_fan wrote:Faulconer may be Faulconer, and while his music may have been monotonous with one moment barely distinguishable from the next, at least it wasn't gratingly repetitive.
Isn't this sentence an oxymoron?
Aye, indeed it is.

I gotta say, once that final piece of music kicked in for the episode the fight got quite epic...before ending a minute later. :(
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:43 am

"Monotonous" isn't the same as "repetitive."

The Faulconer score was a ceaseless, boring, almost unnoticeably nondescript background droning.

The Kai score is distinctive, well-done music, marred by being piledriven into the ground from overuse and repetition episode after episode after episode.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Kai_fan wrote:marred by being piledriven into the ground from overuse and repetition episode after episode after episode.
Can someone show me an anime (that isn't Cowboy Bebop) that changes up the official soundtrack every few episodes? I'm getting really tired of Kai having his bad reputation for "playing the same music all the time" when just about every anime I've ever seen has its distinctive themes that it plays a lot.

Did something happen in the past couple years where I stopped watching anime in general where a 30-episode series has a 500-track OST CD set because it changes its main tunes pretty often and Kai's just living in the past for having only like 50 or 60 songs spread over 40+ episodes so far?

If you don't like Kai's music or if you're just tired of it already, fine. No problem. As far as I can tell, though, it's only as repetitive as almost every other anime I've ever seen.
(they/she)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Kendamu wrote:Can someone show me an anime (that isn't Cowboy Bebop) that changes up the official soundtrack every few episodes? I'm getting really tired of Kai having his bad reputation for "playing the same music all the time" when just about every anime I've ever seen has its distinctive themes that it plays a lot.

Did something happen in the past couple years where I stopped watching anime in general where a 30-episode series has a 500-track OST CD set because it changes its main tunes pretty often and Kai's just living in the past for having only like 50 or 60 songs spread over 40+ episodes so far?

If you don't like Kai's music or if you're just tired of it already, fine. No problem. As far as I can tell, though, it's only as repetitive as almost every other anime I've ever seen.
I have to agree with Kendamu here. Hell, DBZ was particularly bad at this. Kikuchi's score was actually pretty repetitive. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it was just about as repetitive if not more so than Kai's. I didn't notice very many new tracks introduced until After the opening changed, and most of the new tracks were just instrumentals of "We Gotta Power" and "Once we were Angels".

Heck, One Piece (Toei's other huge show) lives off of mostly the same two-disc soundtrack. It only ever gets new tracks when a new movie comes out, and then the tracks are borrowed from the movie score.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 pm

DemonRin wrote:Heck, One Piece (Toei's other huge show) lives off of mostly the same two-disc soundtrack. It only ever gets new tracks when a new movie comes out, and then the tracks are borrowed from the movie score.
I'm beginning to think this is standard, as Bleach does this as well.
Last edited by B on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 pm

B wrote:
DemonRin wrote:Heck, One Piece (Toei's other huge show) lives off of mostly the same two-disc soundtrack. It only ever gets new tracks when a new movie comes out, and then the tracks are borrowed from the movie score.
I'm beginning to think this is standard, as Bleach does this as well.
Yeah, you can pretty much count on "Number One" to play every time Ichigo has a badass moment, or starts winning a fight.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm

STILL, DemonRin? Is that really still their go-to song? I mean, I haven't watched Bleach since the end of Soul Society (and I skipped a large amount of it). Kind of sad that there's no variety, but then again same as it is in our cartoons in America.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 pm

DemonRin wrote:Yeah, you can pretty much count on "Number One" to play every time Ichigo has a badass moment, or starts winning a fight.
IF YOU WANT SEE SOME ACTION

Also, Kai's OST is way more repetitive in use than Z's was. We're talking about the constant use of a dozen tracks (Z) versus the constant use of four or five (Kai). But that's not really the composer's fault. What is the composer's fault is the limited sound of Kai's score, and how bland it is most of the time.

Z often recycled the same tracks, true, but not nearly to the degree Kai has.
Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?