Kai Episode 47 (7 March 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Kai Episode 47 (7 March 2010)

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:15 am

Blue wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Hell, even the Faulconer piece
Woah woah woah, let's not say things we can't take back. :wink:
Well, it was unique, at least, even if it wasn't quite the right sound.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 am

penguintruth wrote: Well, it was unique, at least, even if it wasn't quite the right sound.
I'd take...y'know well composed over unique myself. But hey whatever I'm not here to start a dub Vs. sub music debate.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:23 am

penguintruth wrote:
Blue wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Hell, even the Faulconer piece
Woah woah woah, let's not say things we can't take back. :wink:
Well, it was unique, at least, even if it wasn't quite the right sound.
It was the right sound...at the first few seconds.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:29 am

How was the giant hair of doom handled? Have we been there yet? Any caps?

onlyonelegend

Post by onlyonelegend » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:23 am

Dear god, i had never actually watched an episode of Kai before, but this was just poor. The music reminded me of the shitty tunes from Pinky and the Brain or something. There was little tension, and the Krillin death scene wasn't saddening or hilarious like it was in Z or the dub. Also did Krillin's VA forget what he sounds like or something? He sounds completely off.

The giant hair of doom will be next week lol.
yeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 am

The voice actors aren't going to sound like they did twenty years ago, nor are they going to deliver their lines the exact same way.

Anyhow else find it funny how Piccolo was standing around and laughing triumphantly with the others in this episode? And honestly? :p

Oh Furukawa...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:40 am

I think some of them sound just as good now as before.

Tohru Furuya's Yamcha hasn't changed much from twenty years ago. In fact, that's the weird thing about Furuya, his voice hasn't changed that much at all in the past twenty years. His Amuro Ray in the Zeta Gundam movies from a few years ago and the Namie Amuro video recently sounds the same as ever.

Others, not so much. Furukawa's aged a bit. Ryo Horikawa sounds tired, but it worked well for Vegeta's death a few episode ago. Doesn't he smoke, though? That could be it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:40 am

In Dragon Ball Z Freeza shoots a beam at Goku only for Piccolo to take the beam for him. In today's episode it looked as if Freeza was originally targeting Piccolo, which I am pretty sure is the way the manga intended it to be. Just wanted to point that out.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:59 am

penguintruth wrote:I think some of them sound just as good now as before.

Tohru Furuya's Yamcha hasn't changed much from twenty years ago. In fact, that's the weird thing about Furuya, his voice hasn't changed that much at all in the past twenty years. His Amuro Ray in the Zeta Gundam movies from a few years ago and the Namie Amuro video recently sounds the same as ever.

Others, not so much. Furukawa's aged a bit. Ryo Horikawa sounds tired, but it worked well for Vegeta's death a few episode ago. Doesn't he smoke, though? That could be it.
Yeah, since returning to Piccolo and Ace Furukawa's been doing a whole lot of...I'm not even sure what to cast it, but he's making some really nasty noise when he breaths or grinces. It's not completely off putting, but it's noticeable. I was shocked to learn he was also Kai, because when I had watched the 5.1 track of the film trilogy a few years back it sounded nothing like Piccolo once I switched over to the Japanese track.

Furuya's not changed, either. I don't have any clips on hand from the 1979 mono track but I would be surprised if it matched right up there with the 5.1 track he recorded for the films a few years back.

Gah, if only Suzuoka were still alive. His Bright was also so warm, even when being a military-man.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:00 am

penguintruth wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Yes. There wasn't an insert song for it nor was there a brand new tune for it. Just like Kai.
The BGM used was much more intense than Kai's piece.

Hell, even the Faulconer piece used in the dub was probably more appropriate than what they used for Kai.

But like I said, it's not like it destroys the whole show.

Yeah, I decided to check this out also, since I did like the Ginyu insert song for Kai. But this was terrible, Kai's BGM track was horrible for the Super Saiyan transformation scene. It was not intense as DBZ's BGM. The Japanese BGM and Faulconer track's were way better than what Kai used.

Also, if the only good music in Kai is the insert songs, then I'm sorry but to me it's just almost an utter failure, sadly. They messed up one of the best scenes in DBZ. I could watch it either way with DBZ's Japanese BGM or the Faulconer track. But it seems utterly messed up with Kai's track.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:44 am

Kid Buu wrote:In Dragon Ball Z Freeza shoots a beam at Goku only for Piccolo to take the beam for him. In today's episode it looked as if Freeza was originally targeting Piccolo, which I am pretty sure is the way the manga intended it to be. Just wanted to point that out.
What are you talking about? The scene plays exactly as it did in Z, and Piccolo is clearly taking the bullet for Goku. But you are right in saying the manga had Freeza going for Piccolo.

As for the scene, I thought it went very well. I'd stopped watching Kai long ago but watched this episode due to its importance (and the fact that it aired on my birthday), and I thought the music used was a very good fit. I really don't get why anyone's complaining. The only thing I didn't like was the music used in the wrap up. I thought it sounded too triumphant, where (in my opinion, and in Z if I'm correct) it was more mysterious, more WTF. Goku was suddenly this completely unexpected element. We don't know what to expect. But the Kai version just makes it sound, "Yippee! This is awesome!" So I thought the transformation was good, but the moment after it could have been better.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:10 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I really don't get why anyone's complaining.
Because somebody suggested that they would use an insert song, and somehow that spread to the point of everybody treating it as though it had actually been confirmed that they would be using "Super Dragon Soul!" during his transformation scene. It wasn't what they expected so it automatically sucked.

That, and many people think it is supposed to be some "epic moment of badassery" when it definitely is not...

Anyway, on to something people seem to be neglecting: the redrawn scenes (of which are plentiful in this episode).

Uh...

Wait, what the fuck? :shock:

Scenes from the Next Episode Preview:

Not redrawn, but still: Big Hair of Doom! :lol:

"ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU!" :lol:

This one's redrawn though.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:04 am

Well, I sure am happy how this episode was eventually handled. I didn't even mind the roaring dragon sound when Goku transformed.
Gaffer Tape wrote: But the Kai version just makes it sound, "Yippee! This is awesome!" So I thought the transformation was good, but the moment after it could have been better.
Really ? I had more like ''Wait, wait, WAIT! What the hell did just happend?'' feeling :P

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 am

What the hell was up with the art for this scene... Gohan looked like a vampire :shock:

And not to mention the sky color changes over at Kaio's planet...

Other than that, nice episode although the music was indeed chosen quite poorly.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 am

Bura wrote:And not to mention the sky color changes over at Kaio's planet...
That's for dramatic effect... :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 am

Blue wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Also, why could they get rid of the "Ginyu Force on Kai's planet" filler, but they couldn't get rid of "Bulma the frog" filler? They would simply have to cut out some pointless reaction shots from Gohan and the rest. Did they just decide what filler would remain for the sake of pacing?
Do you think they only decided to cut out the Ginyu on Kaio's planet filler because it directly conflicted with the canon? (As in there is no way in HFIL Yamcha and co. would be that strong.)
I really doubt that was the reason since it is fairly possible they are that strong. The main reason I believe is dead people don't have bodies in the Otherworld, much less bad people. And the whole scene doesn't make sense considering how the hell did they got in there in the first place?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:49 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Bura wrote:And not to mention the sky color changes over at Kaio's planet...
That's for dramatic effect... :?
o.o Haha, you're right, how odd. It was the same in DragonBall Z. Can't believe I didn't notice it before :/

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 am

Oh boy, what a bummer. At first I thought "Mhmm, no music at all. Okay, that's an idea. At least not Super Ultra Dragon Soul twice." Then the generic well known BGM starts "Wait! WHAT?!?!"

What kind of idiots were sitting there and made such a dumb decision?
"Ah Yoshi-san. Do we use Ultra Super Dragon Soul in these awesome scene?"
"No Ryo-san. We used it already."
"Right. Then what? How about silence. This would be great for the supense."
"No no, we will use a generic BGM, just like in DBZ."
"But that would be ... generic. All people I know found it very disappointing back then."
" ... Doesn't matter."

At least the effects were good. The Oozaru roar was great. The reverb also.
Although I'm disappointed with Masako Nozawa's scream. It was better then in Z but you can clearly hear that she was out of breath at the end.

Oh and I like the Big Hair of Doom. Looks kinda majestic and powerful. :P

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 pm

The BGM worked pretty well actually, but they could have edit it to match it better, like get rid of the ending part.

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:"Because somebody suggested that they would use an insert song, and somehow that spread to the point of everybody treating it as though it had actually been confirmed that they would be using "Super Dragon Soul!" during his transformation scene. It wasn't what they expected so it automatically sucked.
Sort of right, yes, I expected a special song. But that is not why I thought it sucked. It sucked because I thought the mood was totally ruined from the background music choice.
Metalwario64 wrote: "That, and many people think it is supposed to be some "epic moment of badassery" when it definitely is not..."
Oh, that moment is not a bad ass moment, and it's definately not. What makes it definately not? So can you prove that by the way?

So I can't say I thought that scene was ruined, because you are telling me for a fact that scene is not suppose to be a bad ass moment. Talk about belittling someones legit complaints on that scene. By trying to make up a fact and shove it down our throats there.

When it's clearly an opinion that you think it's not a bad ass moment to begin with, so even if DBZ's BGM made the scene a lot better. It still doesn't matter because the scene was not that good in your opinion. Hell, we might as well say Dragonball sucks period, therefore any said negative opinion about Kai that wasn't good as DBZ can be ruled out by saying Dragonball sucks to begin with.

See what I'm trying to tell you here? It's not a very good counter argument you are using for people complaining about that scene.
Last edited by SSVegetto on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.