Kai Episode 47 (7 March 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 47 (7 March 2010)

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Vino wrote:
Hujio wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:More reason why Kai should have been re-animated from the beginning instead trying to make 80's-90's animation look "new".
Unless it was entirely re-animated like all the scenes in Kai so far. Can you imagine what it'd look like?! ...I think I just threw-up a little...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=242TguZVLN8
Uh... was that supposed to be a joke? :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Well, now that I was finally able to watch it, I can say it was almost a complete success to me. The music was great during the whole episode: you can feel the tension rising as Freezer gets on his nerves and threatens to blow up everyone and everything, then the joy of the enemy being gone for good, then the horror/despair of having him reappearing once more...

Finally, the Super Saiyan transformation didn't have an insert song whereas it was what I expected. Never the less, it ended up great as the music covers the same feeling Z made (or was trying to make) you feel, only more efficiently (both for the transfer of emotion and for the sound itself, as always with Kai).

No, the only so-so part is - as someone said before - the vampire-like Gohan near Piccolo! He really shockingly looks like a vampire, and that weird animation is so obvious that anyone watching the episode will notice it!!

The Super Saiyan look will be quite off for the episodes to come it seems, but it'll get better with time. And obviously, we can't expect them to redraw each and every shot showing Goku from now on (otherwise I would have forced them to correct Bulma's hair to purple for each and every shot she appears in!!), and anyway they're supposed to draw exactly what the pictures were, the fact that they correct a few things here and there is already huge and totally satisfying.

Like some fans, I can't help thinking Dragon Ball Kai is some kind of mini-test to check about fan reaction if the show was totally reanimated. Given fan reaction and constant complaint, the test would fail anyway and they wouldn't reanimate anything since generally, fans dislike everything that's new (don't like new audio, don't like new pictures - whether it's totally reanimated like the recent special or reanimated from the original images... basically, that means Toei is not able to do new stuff which is able to please the fans, and therefore that they would be wrong investing in a totally new animation for the Dragon Ball universe).

Guess even if they redid a new Dragon Ball as the best-looking anime ever with the best score ever, fans would always say "Yeah, well... Hail Z, hail Z, hail Z..." :)
That's how we can recognize a legendary series I guess, when fans won't ever let go of it whatever happens, which is a good sign of how Z was a giant success!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 am

I can definitely see why folks are disappointed in the episode (and Kai in general)... but it's basically more of the same that Kai has been doing since it premiered. I enjoyed the episode overall, and I still enjoy Kai as a whole. It's very convienient for me to watch, and I look forward to the dub.

That said, there's always choices for everyone out there. There's Kai, Z, the manga, animanga, cropped, fullscreen, subbed, dubbed, even video games... it's all still Dragon Ball. And that's why it's still entertained me for 10+ years, even with the flaws in the Kai adaptation.

I will say this about Kai, are we getting a new OP/ED soon? I hope so... the Freeza arc is almost done.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:16 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote: I will say this about Kai, are we getting a new OP/ED soon? I hope so... the Freeza arc is almost done.
Well, we'll see if events unfold that way, but even if I don't know if a Z episode ended that way, I can imagine pretty well the end of an episode being at "Goku is still alive, he didn't die on Namek, and one day, he'll return on his own". The next episode would start one year later, for the new saga, with the brand new opening/ending.

Question is: what will we see in this new opening?
Is Trunks going to slice the screen with his sword like Gohan did in the first opening?
Will all three original Super Saiyan be featured (Gohan being excluded I guess because it would probably be way too early to show him, probably more in the Cell-updated version of this new opening)?
Will all androids appear in it?
Will it go on with Dragon Soul (which is fine with me) or have a new song from the Song Collection (which is fine with me) or have a totally new song (which is fine with me)?
All the answers in only a few episodes now... 8)
Last edited by Cold Skin on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Is Trunks going to slice the screen with his sword like Gohan did in the first opening?
Hmm, now I come to think of it - why did Gohan do that? Where did he get that sword? I know openings are a little different but that's just confusing.

EDIT: Wait a minute, didn't he have a sword during his training with Piccolo? I haven't seen those episodes in a long time I just don't know, I must have forgotten.
So if what I just said is true and that he did have a sword at that time, it must be canon then? Interesting ~.^.
Last edited by LilKokuLink on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm

I won't be surprised if they kept the same opening till the rest of the series.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm

LilKokuLink wrote: EDIT: Wait a minute, didn't he have a sword during his training with Piccolo? I haven't seen those episodes in a long time I just don't know, I must have forgotten.
So if what I just said is true and that he did have a sword at that time, it must be canon then? Interesting ~.^.
Yes, the sword is canon. Piccolo gives it to him to help him survive on his own, along with new clothes, after he turned Oozaru. He later uses it to slice off a dinosaur`s tail (which tried to eat him), and that`s the last time we see the sword.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am

I just watched Goku go Super Saiyan, and I don't feel that the English language has the adjectives to properly describe my level of disappointment and frustration with the animation quality and with how the scene was handled in general. What the fuck, Toei? What the fuck?

YOU'VE BEEN SPLURGING WITH INSERT SONGS FOR THE LAST MILLION FUCKING EPISODES, AND YOU SKIP THE ONE SCENE THAT DESERVED AN INSERT SONG. WAY TO GO. YOU MANAGED TO DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY WRONG.[/cruise control]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:26 am

Well I finally got around to making a few Dragon Box comparisons to the SSj scene in Kai:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I was really hoping I would be able to see how the ripple effect from this shot would be handled in Kai (I was expecting something similar to what was done in DBK episode 003 [image/imageKanzentai)]),

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 am

I still don't get why there's so much flack over "no insert song." I'm not even saying it was the greatest thing ever, but what inherently makes a vocal song better than background music? I know a lot of people were hoping for Super Dragon Soul, but for some it sounds like any song with lyrics would have been appreciated. How about Ryusei Nakao as Yakko from Animaniacs peforming the geography song?

Actually, that might have been pretty epic. Someone make a fan edit.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:40 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I still don't get why there's so much flack over "no insert song." I'm not even saying it was the greatest thing ever, but what inherently makes a vocal song better than background music? I know a lot of people were hoping for Super Dragon Soul, but for some it sounds like any song with lyrics would have been appreciated. How about Ryusei Nakao as Yakko from Animaniacs peforming the geography song?

Which one? (Though I do believe that both already exist).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 am

Mike posted a comparison of Nakao's performance a few pages back that inspired me to grab a few of his deliveries in Kai I thought were up there with his usual level of performance. One thing is for sure, that man can scratch it like there's no tomorrow! O.o Although, admittedly, in Mike's clip Freeza was crackin' as opposed to screechin'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:06 am

Cold Skin wrote: Like some fans, I can't help thinking Dragon Ball Kai is some kind of mini-test to check about fan reaction if the show was totally reanimated. Given fan reaction and constant complaint, the test would fail anyway and they wouldn't reanimate anything since generally, fans dislike everything that's new (don't like new audio, don't like new pictures - whether it's totally reanimated like the recent special or reanimated from the original images... basically, that means Toei is not able to do new stuff which is able to please the fans, and therefore that they would be wrong investing in a totally new animation for the Dragon Ball universe).
Not exactly what I've wondered, I like to think that Kai is just the jumpstart for some new animation, a new series totally reanimated. But that's just what I like to think, meh.
However, fans don't dislike anything new. When the 30minute special Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! came out people generally gave it positive comments and reviews, and throughout all the dragon ball kai threads you can see a lot of people complaining on how a new entire reanimated series would kick so much more ass (as if it were hard..) that Kai

Just to throw my 2cents on the whole "Kai sucks" subject, I can see it isn't the same as Z but Kai fills my Dragon Ball needs once a week, and it's nice to watch one episode a week like it was years ago (although in Portugal we would get a new episode every day :twisted: )

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Just watched the episode. And I thought it was pretty good, like the other Kai episodes. The whole show leaves me with a kind of mediocre impression, but I also would like to consider that it's only the beginning of a time period when we'll finally get a more refreshed look than that with the anime being completely reanimated and even more sped up. Doesn't hurt to dream once in a while. :lol:

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I still don't get why there's so much flack over "no insert song." I'm not even saying it was the greatest thing ever, but what inherently makes a vocal song better than background music? I know a lot of people were hoping for Super Dragon Soul, but for some it sounds like any song with lyrics would have been appreciated. How about Ryusei Nakao as Yakko from Animaniacs peforming the geography song?

Just give me the Kai clip, and it's done.

EDIT: Here it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzK6puDyu8E
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:55 pm

^ What have you done.....?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Something totally awesome!!! Glad I could be your creative inspiration, and I'm thrilled that you were able to finally satisfy all of those people who just had to have an insert song. Goku's SSJ transformation has never been better. I bet even Mike, who's seen the scene enough times to be bored with it, would get a kick out of this "refreshed" version. ^_^
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Blech. The "reanimated" scenes really..really irk me. Sure, bring out the paint shop pro for the animation mistakes of the original run for correction, but to trace scenes that aren't exactly damaged? Purely pointless and distracting. Not to mention, some effects from the original are either eliminated entirely, or replaced with something far less appealing (i.e: camera pans out from Freeza-to-full portrait..) Ugh-worthy.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:03 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Uh...

*snort*

Their standards must really be set low... Dragon Ball KAshIn. ... :D

I like in the original footage the look on Piccolo's face as he talks about the Namekians living in peace or something. It must be the delivery from the dub that makes me think this but I always imagine him saying something like "Well that's all for this week kiddies, tune in next week to see more our zany adventures!"