Kai Episode 48 (14 March 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 48 (14 March 2010)

Post by Vino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:59 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 48, aired 14 March 2010.

怒れる超サイヤ人!名乗りを上げろ孫悟空!
Okoreru Suupaa Saiya-jin! Nanori o Agero Son Gokuu!
The Angry Super Saiyan!Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 48 (14 March 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:40 pm

This week the climatic battle between Son Gokû and Freeza takes an epic turn of events. After the death of Kuririn and near death of Piccolo awoke his heart, Son became the liviving legend: the Super Saiyan!!

Dragon Ball covered: 318, 319 and the two first pages of 320.. sort of
Dragon Ball Z covered: #96 through the eyecatch of #97 (Freeza tosses the Death Ball into the ocean)

Man, I have to say, Dragon Ball Z #96 looked like crap. I reserve any kind words for this episode of Dragon Ball Kai, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:48 pm

I watched this on Keyhole with shit quality, I'm waiting for a proper one before I rate.

ka1oken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ka1oken » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Vino wrote:I watched this on Keyhole with shit quality, I'm waiting for a proper one before I rate.
Yeah Keyhole is awful...

I think it was alright quality back in April but now it's not even watchable.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 am

It may have just been me, but the redrawn scenes in this episode were the most distracting ones I've seen so far. >_< It looks like bad amateur flash animation in parts. I'm looking at you, redrawn scene where Freeza jerkily moves around while throwing unshaded red ki blasts at Goku.

The two new eyecatches however, were phenomenal. Very pretty to look at. :3

Bit more nit-pickyness: did they really need to insert a flashback near the end? And why didn't they go the whole 9 yards with it and cover it with sepia tone like they did their other flashbacks?

I'd forgotten how disproportionally silly the super saiyajin hair looked here. It's gigantic. XD I give them a bit of benefit of the doubt being the first time this animation team worked on ssj hair, but it still looks too big for his head compared to later arcs where it fits better.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 am

Well, even in the manga his hair was massive compared to how it looked later.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:34 am

True. I just haven't watched the Z counterpart episodes to these Kai ones in forever. Things that might not have stood out to me if the Z episodes were fresher in my memory stand out more now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:42 am

It was weird enough that the original version had a flashback to something that just effing happened, but isn't Kai supposed to cut that sort of thing out?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:39 am

Pretty solid episode if you ask me. I certainly liked the eye-catchers and also how they ended this episode. Although the next-episode preview kinda spoiled what's gonna happen anyway :P

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:26 am

I can't wait till cell's arc, maybe then the redrawn stuff won't stand out too much. :|

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm looking at you, redrawn scene where Freeza jerkily moves around while throwing unshaded red ki blasts at Goku.
If I'm thinking of what you're speaking of, then it was just as bad in the original animation.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 am

I can't wait till cell's arc, maybe then the redrawn stuff won't stand out too much. :|
Really? It could end up looking like this for all you know.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:55 am

I thought "what can they show apart from Super Saiyan Goku and Freezer in the eyecatch, they have to show something because of the split screen that has to show four pictures (two on eyecatch A, two on eyecatch B), but I don't see what they could show since watchers are mostly interested in Super Saiyan VS Freezer at this point..."

Answer: they don't show anything else, they stop the split screen system for this one and now make full screen eyecatches! Nice move! 8)

Also, amazingly, what I said came to be true, and I thought it couldn't possibly be true, but they actually did it: they used the recap to show the Super Saiyan transformation again but with another music. However, I would have done it with Super Dragon Soul to satisfy both sides, the side that wanted regular BGM had it in the episode 47, the side that would want an insert song would have it in the episode 48 recap.

But at least, it'll give two versions of that scene with two different background music, so it's already much more than what I thought could actually happen, and those unhappy with the first BGM might be happy with the second version! 8)

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:11 pm

This covered chapter 44 of the TV Animation Comics, Densetsu no Suupaa Saiya-jin!. Next week should cover most of 45, it looks like. Anyone know if that eyecatch of Super Saiya-jin Gokuu is from DragonBox Z single #16, or redrawn?

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Where and how do you guys watch the weekly Kai episodes? I still haven't seen it anywhere. I know this is a strongly anti-piracy oriented community and I appreciate that, as I also support the original work and invest in it, but seeing as how Kai is still only being aired on Japanese television, I think it's okay to ask if anyone's snatched the latest episode off some torrent tracker? I usually use nyaatorrents, but they have nothing as of now and I'm missing my weekly dose of Kai, which is not good. :lol:

If the above comment does not comply with the forum rules in any way, I apologize sincerely and urge the mods to dispose of it or deal with it as they see fit.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 pm

BobZ wrote:Where and how do you guys watch the weekly Kai episodes?
Live, with programs like TVants and Keyhole.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm

I'd do that too, but it airs at 3 a.m. in the morning here, so it's a bit impossible, even though I'm a die-hard DB fan. :mrgreen:

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:49 pm

So you guys are watching it without subs?

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Of course. Or at least I do. Sometimes when there is a subtitled version on Sunday (happens very rarely), I'd pick it up, but usually I watch the RAW releases. :)
I mean, who needs subtitles, when you know the whole show by heart already? :lol:

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Anyone else notice the sound effects used for the ruble of pebbles flying into Goku near the beginning sound so...different?

Not only did it sound out of place cause of the quality (sounded WAY more clear than the other SFX and even the voices), but it also sounded more like glass was being smashed instead of rocks breaking.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]