Trying my hand at "Kai-ing" it up.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Trying my hand at "Kai-ing" it up.

Post by Haseowolf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

So, since I couldn't stand to look at Kai anymore, and also losing all desire to purchase said "show," I decided to try MY hand at Kai-ing up a shot from DBZ.

The coloring is not so important (yeah, it's Dragon Box colors, but I'm trying to downplay the bad, hurried job I did with it), but I don't have a problem with Kai's use of color, its more the line quality. Here I used the Wacom Intuos4 to trace over a shot of good old Raditz. The line art took me about 15 minutes and the coloring about half an hour. That puts this one frame at 45 minutes to being 'somewhat' complete. Though, the more often this is done, the easier it'd be, right? Besides, the Kai team surely has designated tracers and designated colorists, so the process would be a lot faster their way.

I'd say this was harder than just drawing Raditz as I'm not as confident when I trace as when I simply sketch. What this shows though, is that it shouldn't be THAT hard to use some pen-sensitivity during the redrawn scenes of Kai to give it much more life. That's all I did. 5 pixel brush with pressure sensitivity turned on. That's all I used.

Thoughts? Feelings? Maybe contribute your own?
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Trying my hand at "Kai-ing" it up.

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Um... It looks nice! :D

...Except that it doesn't really look any better than Kai's redrawn scenes. It just don't look as professional either. Some of Kai's scenes were great, some not so great. I don't really know what I'm trying to say though.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Haseowolf wrote:What this shows though, is that it shouldn't be THAT hard to use some pen-sensitivity during the redrawn scenes of Kai to give it much more life. That's all I did.
They do, sometimes. At first it looked horrible, but has since improved.

Here is a good example of it:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Pressure sensitivity is really important when mimicking the original, traditional pen style. I wish the redrawn scenes in Kai took advantage of it more often.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 am

Pretty good for an amateur, Haseowolf!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Pretty good for an amateur, Haseowolf!
I'm pretty sure an amateur can dish out way better tracing than what Kai gives us.

Pretty good work there, you should try to retouch the redrawn scenes that they did, like the censored Raditz/Goku death scene.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Considering it took you all of an hour to do that on your first try, it looks very nice!

However, considering that it's your first attempt and you breezed through the line art in 15 minutes, it looks a little "un-steady." You know what I mean? Like, the lines aren't as crisp as the show itself like you were trying to sketch while tracing. Considering how uncomfortable you are with tracing and how you like to sketch, it's totally understandable. I'm sure you know all of this, though.

What you have here is a unique opportunity, though! While sketching something yourself that's completely original, you're the one who is gonna see the flaws in your work the most. It's how all artists are! I feel the same way when I go back and watch myself doing martial arts moves on video! In this case, though, you're trying to reproduce something that we all know and love to the point that we're obsessive over it so we all know what's going to make it look perfect! So, keep practicing and keep posting because, as Dragonball fans, we can help you as much as you can help yourself.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

LilLinks Sasha

Post by LilLinks Sasha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:10 pm

This is pretty good, you'll get better and faster the more you do it, make some more and show us :D .
“Won’t you show me just why you call yourself The Great Saiya-Man?” - Temple O' Trunks pick up lines. ;)
Sasha ^^

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

I have to say, this is kinda messed up to the extreme. I get that some of you don't like the redrawn scenes in Kai, but this is just ridiculous and that image has several MAJOR Problems.

Compared to the redrawn scenes in Kai, even the worst of those look better than this. The Colors go out of the lines at several points, the line art is extremely shaky and dodgy, with the most glaring example being that loop thing coming off of his ear, and his pupil appears to taper off and blend into the side of his eye, it doesn't look right at all.

It wouldn't be a problem if you didn't start your post like this:
So, since I couldn't stand to look at Kai anymore, and also losing all desire to purchase said "show," I decided to try MY hand at Kai-ing up a shot from DBZ.
Your post comes off like a pretentious throw down of the gauntlet. Like you're trying to say "Kai is Shit and I can do better". At one point you acknowledged that the coloring was rushed, but then you end it with this little gem:
What this shows though, is that it shouldn't be THAT hard to use some pen-sensitivity during the redrawn scenes of Kai to give it much more life. That's all I did.
It basically looks like you're saying "Look at how much better I did than them", and that really makes the whole thing look petty.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 pm

DemonRin wrote: *Awesomeness*
I knew I keep coming here for a reason. :lol:
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.