Some neat tidbits

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Some neat tidbits

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

After having lunch with a certain someone, I've discovered a few interesting things I figured I'd share. I can't go into any actual detail on them, but here's what I think would be safe enough to say:

-Yes, the broadcast version will have a LOT of differences from the uncut DVD release. You (as in, you guys specifically) might wanna pass on watching it on TV to save yourself a headache or two...but, the DVDs are gonna have some things that you are DEFINITELY gonna enjoy.

-For the dub, it sounds like yes, the vast majority of the original cast are coming back. However, certain characters may be getting recast, but those aren't 100% set in stone.

-I can say with up-most confidence, the people working on this a honest to god putting a LOT of work and care into the treatment of it. If anything else, the new script adaptation is going to change the entire english version for the better. Place your trust in them, folks.

If I remember anything else, I'll post, as long as it's vague enough to mention.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Some neat tidbits

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Kirbopher wrote: -Yes, the broadcast version will have a LOT of differences from the uncut DVD release. You (as in, you guys specifically) might wanna pass on watching it on TV to save yourself a headache or two...but, the DVDs are gonna have some things that you are DEFINITELY gonna enjoy.
Rock the Dragon? "Faulconer" Music? Next Dimension? Parachutes? Bardock The Brilliant Scientist?
Kirbopher wrote: -For the dub, it sounds like yes, the vast majority of the original cast are coming back. However, certain characters may be getting recast, but those aren't 100% set in stone.
We already know that.
Kirbopher wrote: -I can say with up-most confidence, the people working on this a honest to god putting a LOT of work and care into the treatment of it. If anything else, the new script adaptation is going to change the entire english version for the better. Place your trust in them, folks.
Well, that is what Chris Sabat and the rest of the cast have been heavily hinting towards.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks for the update Kirb, I'm sure I know who your inside guy is, but I won't divulge (because...well, it's on your Twitter...so...). Hopefully he's keeping his word (and hopefully...there's recasts!!)
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Ah, good to know I can pass on the TV version (and that there will be an uncut version on the dvds). Having to deal with the timeslot on NickToons would've been a hassle for me.

I do hope they stream the uncut version on their Hulu or YouTube page (or any online streaming site for that matter). I like to try before I buy instead of going into purchases blind.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Hopefully, the TV version will still be worth checking out just for the sake of sampling the voicework and script.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Assuming, of course, the home release of that first thirteen comes out after the broadcast begins, that is (although I don't foresee more than one episode a week airing).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:29 pm

I have high hopes for this iteration of the FUNimation dub based on what details we've already heard. These new "tidbits" only help to strengthen that feeling.
Kirbopher wrote:However, certain characters may be getting recast, but those aren't 100% set in stone.
Don't you recast Kara Edwards, FUNi. Don't you EVEN f*ckin' do it . . . or else.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't plan on weekly watching Kai through Nicktoons, but I will peek that new script, just for awhile.

I would probably laugh my ass off, and then nerd rage if we end up getting a dub-only score, though.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Is this heavy censorship in comparison to the "uncut" Kai, or in comparison to CN's edits? Are we getting Saban-level TV cuts? Forgive me if I'm asking for too many specifics, as I'm not even sure you've been told that, but being the person I am I like to know the most possible before I complain (which I do... a lot...)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Well, here's to hoping for a PlayStation Store episode-by-episode releas if the TV version is going to be that bad.

Then again, maybe it can be a test of the idea, "Do not seek more but learn to enjoy less."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I have high hopes for this iteration of the FUNimation dub based on what details we've already heard. These new "tidbits" only help to strengthen that feeling.
Kirbopher wrote:However, certain characters may be getting recast, but those aren't 100% set in stone.
Don't you recast Kara Edwards, FUNi. Don't you EVEN f*ckin' do it . . . or else.

~Da Lemmy
Kara hasn't really done any work for FUNimation in years besides a couple of video games. Not to mention, whether or not we go all the way to Buu is still up in the air.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:29 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:I have high hopes for this iteration of the FUNimation dub based on what details we've already heard. These new "tidbits" only help to strengthen that feeling.

~Da Lemmy
Kara hasn't really done any work for FUNimation in years besides a couple of video games. Not to mention, whether or not we go all the way to Buu is still up in the air.
The "Kai will be around 100 episodes" thing that comes from the Happinet Kai site seems to suggest that it'll go though the whole series.
(they/she)

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:31 am

Mostly the same voice cast and a better script, count me in!

It might even be better then the original. (Don't shoot me)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Kara hasn't really done any work for FUNimation in years besides a couple of video games.
But she loves her job. Kara quit her regular radio gig in order to pursue voice acting full-time, which she's been doing ever since. Not necessarily for FUNimation, but she's been doing it. Hell, she's even built her own in-house studio to more easily facilitate business.

I'm still smarting over what happened to Stephanie Nadolny, I guess. It definitely factors in. But for me, there's even more at stake-- and by "more," I don't mean just because it involves Goten. I know Kara; I've spoken with her. We keep in touch. We're friends! And there's absolutely no question that she loves what she does . . . and of course, that she positively adores Goten (and Videl). So there might be something of a personal element to how I feel, having "spent time" with the woman and gotten inside her head a little bit.

No lies, though; the rest of it, a'course, is just me being rabid. That's GOTEN. Grrrrrr.

~Da Lemmy

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Nothing revolving around Goten or Videl has even been (re-)animated yet. I don't think you should be worrying about it yet.
(they/she)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

I ain't necessarily "worried" about it per se, althougth I'm almost certain that all the "not worrying" I've been doing makes me look totally neurotic. ^_^

~Da Lemmy

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
"Or else I'll whine on the internet. Yeah. Look out!"

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 am

Commander_Red wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
...or if he chooses, he could get ask a (not)personal army for help. :wink:
But in reality...that wouldn't really do anything, either.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:56 am

Commander_Red wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Oh snap! I may even start an online petition!
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Shut up, all of you. Sometimes complaint is my only comfort. :wink:

~Da Lemmy