Some neat tidbits

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Re: Some neat tidbits

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 pm

The original music is being kept, as far as I know in both versions. They love the music in Kai.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Kirbopher wrote:The original music is being kept, as far as I know in both versions. They love the music in Kai.
So do I.

I think I might even like it better than Faulconer's and Kikuchi's score.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Kirbopher wrote:The original music is being kept, as far as I know in both versions. They love the music in Kai.
I hope that includes openings and closings on TV.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Is the broadcast version gonna have a completely different script or something?

Eh, it doesn't matter to me, I'll still watch it on TV, but I'm just curious.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Is the broadcast version gonna have a completely different script or something?

I doubt it'll be completely different, but Nicktoons may be enforcing some censorship that'll get our hardcore fan panties in a bunch.
(they/she)

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Kendamu wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Is the broadcast version gonna have a completely different script or something?

I doubt it'll be completely different, but Nicktoons may be enforcing some censorship that'll get our hardcore fan panties in a bunch.
That my friend, is inevitable.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

That my friend, is inevitable.
Oh, yeah. I pretty well figured that much. I'll still check it out, anyway, since I do have the channel.
(they/she)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

It likely won't be any worse than Cartoon Network's censorship. If some of Rocko's Modern Life's and Ren & Stimpy's dirtier jokes can remain uncensored on there, I don't see why Kai would be that heavily censored. As long as there isn't any bad photoshopping. Although I can see and understand any Japanese text that appears in the show being changed to English text instead, like on a banner or something.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:It likely won't be any worse than Cartoon Network's censorship. If some of Rocko's Modern Life's and Ren & Stimpy's dirtier jokes can remain uncensored on there, I don't see why Kai would be that heavily censored. As long as there isn't any bad photoshopping. Although I can see and understand any Japanese text that appears in the show being changed to English text instead, like on a banner or something.
I think the warning about censorship mainly applies to people who cry and throw things when they hear Sean Schemmel or Chris Sabat utter a single noise... not so much the people who were just gonna get it on DVD and watch it without even thinking of the dub.
(they/she)

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:It likely won't be any worse than Cartoon Network's censorship. If some of Rocko's Modern Life's and Ren & Stimpy's dirtier jokes can remain uncensored on there, I don't see why Kai would be that heavily censored.
Only, don't they not air those shows anymore?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm

bkev wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:It likely won't be any worse than Cartoon Network's censorship. If some of Rocko's Modern Life's and Ren & Stimpy's dirtier jokes can remain uncensored on there, I don't see why Kai would be that heavily censored.
Only, don't they not air those shows anymore?
They don't air a lot of their old shows anymore.
(they/she)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:25 pm

About the apparent things that'll get us "Hardcore Fans" upset, maybe they're doing what they did with One Piece's TV broadcast.

Zoro was "Zolo" on TV for consistency, but he went back to "Zoro" for the DVDs.

Maybe we'll see "Tien" and "King Kai" and "Frieza" on the TV Broadcast, but "Tenshinhan", "Kaio" and "Freeza" on the DVD and BD?
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Kendamu wrote:
I hope that includes openings and closings on TV.
I hope that includes (I PRAY FOR ENGLISH VERSIONS OF) the insert songs.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:18 am

DemonRin wrote:About the apparent things that'll get us "Hardcore Fans" upset, maybe they're doing what they did with One Piece's TV broadcast.

Maybe we'll see "Tien" and "King Kai" and "Frieza" on the TV Broadcast, but "Tenshinhan", "Kaio" and "Freeza" on the DVD and BD?
I wouldn't hold my breath, but that would be the greatest thing ever, since it's more or less false advertising.

I support the crap out of it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 am

DemonRin wrote:About the apparent things that'll get us "Hardcore Fans" upset, maybe they're doing what they did with One Piece's TV broadcast.

I understand (but don't agree with) you guys wanting "Tenshinhan" and even "Freeza", but "Kaio"? Isn't King Kai a suitable translation? "O" is the honourific for kings and queens so I don't understand the problem...
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:29 am

verto wrote:

I understand (but don't agree with) you guys wanting "Tenshinhan" and even "Freeza", but "Kaio"? Isn't King Kai a suitable translation? "O" is the honourific for kings and queens so I don't understand the problem...
King Kai is a half translation, they translated the "o" but left the "Kai" untranslated.

I personally don't have a problem with it.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:54 am

I do. Kaio is the creator of Kaio-Ken, so it doesn't make sense to change only one use of his name, but not the other. Plus, "King Kai" makes it sound like Kai is his name. Same thing with "Master Roshi" and "Fortuneteller Baba". FUNimation basically renamed these characters with names that were originally only part of their title.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 am

My Major problem with "King Kai" vs. "Kaio" comes from a problem with consistency.

Kaio is "King of Worlds". So Ok, they translated the "O" but left Kai, ok, kinda makes sense, they consider "Kai" a name.

But why is the "Kaioken" still the "Kaioken"? Why not "King Kai Ken" or "King Kai Fist"?
I believe mostly in consistency. If you're gonna translate his name in one instance and then not in the other, it comes off to me as shoddy. The One Piece dub did something similarly inconsistent recently that upset me. Now, I know it's sometimes common practice to flip Japanese name-order to Western name order. Uzumaki Naruto becomes Naruto Uzumaki, Urameshi Yusuke becomes Yusuke Urameshi. I get it, it makes sense. But whichever name order you choose, stick to it.

FUNimation left Most of the names in One Piece un-flipped. Monkey D. Luffy, Roronoa Zoro, Tony Tony Chopper, Nico Robin, Montblanc Norland and Cricket. It became pretty obvious they were going with Japanese name order.
Then suddenly Vivi was "Vivi Nefertari"...
In the case of the One Piece dub, this kinda stuff is really few and far between but that stuff still really irks me.

So when they decide to translate "Kaio" a certain way, they should ALWAYS translate Kaio the SAME way.
So IMO, either Kaio teaches Son the "Kaioken", or King Kai teaches him the "King Kai Fist". Mixing and matching just seems shoddy to me.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:06 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I do. Kaio is the creator of Kaio-Ken, so it doesn't make sense to change only one use of his name, but not the other. Plus, "King Kai" makes it sound like Kai is his name. Same thing with "Master Roshi" and "Fortuneteller Baba". FUNimation basically renamed these characters with names that were originally only part of their title.
I guess they though that "World King" didn't sound good or something.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:12 am

I agree with all of that. My only defense for FUNimation is that they apparently had their heads up their asses too far at the time to realize that Kaio-ken was based on the character's name considering their mispronounciation of it. Completely oblivious to this connection, they plodded on with his name however they fancied. Isn't it funny how even defending them points out another one of their mistakes? :lol:

Then again, I suppose it could be supposed that FUNimation, for some reason, really hated the name Kaio for a character (who knows?) but liked the attack name, so they purposely mispronounced the attack in order to diminish the connection between the two! Yeah, sounds like foil hat conspiracy theory, but I have war flashbacks to high school ten years ago trying to get my friends to understand that Kaio-ken was named after Kaio... and they just weren't buying it. After all, it's not exactly like Kamehameha has any etymological connection to the dub name of "Master Roshi," unlike Kamehameha to Kamesennin.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2