DBK English Trailer

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xzero
Regular

Re: DBK English Trailer

Post by xzero » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Someone earlier posted about Schemmel's one line in the trailer sounding better than anything he recorded for Z (which I disagree with to the extent that his Buu stuff was pretty good). While I agree that the delivery was solid, it kind of supports my theory on another thread that Schemmel can give a really, really good Goku performance as long as he has a good script to work from. He was no master back when he did the Freeza episodes, but he is the definitive Goku for me at this point, and things like this just solidify his abilities.

DBZ Kai is so huge to dub fans. Finally, in the context of the show, we have a very real chance of getting a good, respectable, accurate dub of our favorite show. People on this forum will criticize the returning actors forever, not because of their performances, but because they just don't like the characterization or are fans of something else. That's fine; Kai isn't really intended for you. Just like fans of the original have little reason to care about it anymore. I don't think Kai was intended for hardcore fans of Z in the first place.

It seems to me that in Japan, Kai is around to bring new interest to the series, and naturally to profit from that interest. In America, Kai is kind of Funmiation's love letter to its fans and supporters who have stuck with them through the good (redub of Seasons 1 & 2, green brick GT sets, blue brick DB sets, and DBoxes) and the bad (orange bricks, Season 3, and the general script of Z in its entirety from season 3 on). You know what I've wanted since I first played the Budokai games and heard my favorite voice actors for their respective characters delivering accurate lines? A fully accurate dub of DBZ that I can just sit down and watch. I don't expect a complete redub of Z ever. Kai is the next best thing, and for this reason, Funi's Kai (from what we currently know of it) is aimed squarely at myself and any fan like me. And you know what? I can't freaking wait!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:48 pm

But is it? I'm pleased to hear that there are dub fans who are excited about an accurate dub, but how big is the demographic, I wonder, for the ones who are pissed that the ridiculous, inaccurate things they like about the dub are going away?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But is it? I'm pleased to hear that there are dub fans who are excited about an accurate dub, but how big is the demographic, I wonder, for the ones who are pissed that the ridiculous, inaccurate things they like about the dub are going away?
I doubt that the majority of dub fans even know about these inaccuracies. And not only that, but the vast majority of inaccuracies are changed conversations that don't really contribute much to the overall story.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm

A lot of dub fans either don't know the innaccuracies or know but don't care, even though the innaccuracies can really screw around with context and story development.

The Kai dub should be more of a big deal to people who dislike the Z dub.

But I'm not celebrating until I can confirm with my own ears that it's okay.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:29 pm

All the more reason for them to be pissed off. All they'd see it is as a change to their precious dub.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:31 pm

That would just put them in the same situation that fans of the Japanese dub were in when Kai was originally announced.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Great trailer, cant wait to hear more of the dub.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

ssjRohan

Post by ssjRohan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:44 pm

It's promising at least. The lines seemed accurate and I think the voice acting was good. I'm looking forward for more of this but it definitely won't replace the Japanese cast for me. :D
I'm here to kick artificial humans and drink cups of tea. And I'm all out of both.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:20 pm

A good first sign, I hope to see it more be like this. I have said this before, but overall with anime I by FAR preffer to watch things dubbed, but DBZ's dub was SO BAD that I couldn't stand to do this, and started watching the Japanese Original with english subtitles, and was blown away by the sheer depth of the original that the dub had only hinted at.

If this dub can properly convey the story without hampering my enjoyment, I may indeed have found my way of watching the show with the best of both of my prefferences (not having to read and watch - I CAN, but preffer not to, and accurate translations).

Here's to hoping!

As for the dub cast as long as they recast Freeza, and Android #20 (no more ATM machine voice), I'll be fine with the voice choices.
-Laserkid

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:25 pm

laserkid wrote: As for the dub cast as long as they recast Freeza, and Android #20 (no more ATM machine voice), I'll be fine with the voice choices.
Unfortunately, Freeza's the same.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:16 pm

The music in the trailer gave me bad flashbacks to movies 4 and 5.

Bring back Failconer!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:38 pm

laserkid wrote:
As for the dub cast as long as they recast Freeza, and Android #20 (no more ATM machine voice), I'll be fine with the voice choices.
Come on, laserkid! Kaio's English voice is worse than Freeza and #20... wait, actually don't you mean #19?... combined! That's the one I'm really grieving wasn't recast.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:00 am

Just a few updates. (Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong thread, as this one is quite active and I didn't know where else for it to be.)

These are coming from Sabat's Facebook.

On Kai's name change:
TV's Christopher Sabat wrote:That was the Toei's decision, actually. I think they though that people might be confused. I kinda liked Dragonball Kai, too. ; )
On pronunciations and/or names, etc.
TV's Christopher Sabat wrote:Honestly, man, I'm not spending much time changing the pronunciation of names that were misspelled or mispronounced. Even if I tried, we've been saying it the wrong way for so long it would be hard to change it. Sorry, man. We'll see, though.
and
Sean Schemmel wrote:We have corrected the use of Kay-o ken to kai-o ken. And I refuse to say kamayamaya...
There may be more, but this is all that I have remembered that has been posted, thus far.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:11 am

Wow, it was Toei's idea? I'm still not overly fond of it, but I guess I can't fault FUNimation for it. They probably should have called it Z Kai from day one, but since they didn't, it's still Dragon Ball Kai. ^_^

A bit annoying that they're big on fixing some pronounciations but don't give a shit about fixing others. Glad they're doing something. I just wish they'd go all the way instead of halfassing it.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 am

They might be basing some changes on what exactly will please the most people. There are a lot of dub fans out there who might actually like Gero with a soft G instead of a hard G.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:19 am

Kendamu wrote:They might be basing some changes on what exactly will please the most people. There are a lot of dub fans out there who might actually like Gero with a soft G instead of a hard G.
True, but only because they're used to it.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:20 am

Exactly. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will be up in arms due to the lack of Kayoken, kamayamaya, Special Beam Cannon, and Destructo Disc, but FUNimation is still going through with it. So I just don't understand why they aren't going all the way. The trademark thing seems to be a legitimate reason, at least, but it's still annoying. I think they could trademark the new names if they really wanted to.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:22 am

Mountain wrote:
Kendamu wrote:They might be basing some changes on what exactly will please the most people. There are a lot of dub fans out there who might actually like Gero with a soft G instead of a hard G.
True, but only because they're used to it.
Well, of course. That's a given. It's part of the reason why I hated the change from the Ocean Group to the FUNi cast back in the second part of the Freeza arc but nowadays kids who only remember the FUNi cast prefer the FUNi cast over the Ocean Group.

It's also why, from what little I've heard, I like the new Gohan voice. It reminds me more of Gohan's voice in DBZ Abridged (pretty much the only English DBZ adaption I watch consistently).
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:30 am

Yeah, I think the new Gohan voice will be great, Kendamu. What did you think of Goku's voice in Abridged? I saw you post a few times over on Sabat's Facebook. I'm one of the only others there who sided with fans of the Japanese version, so you can probably figure out who I am.

Sabat really seems to care about this new dub, so I'm trying to give it a chance.

(Anyways, I enjoy your Sparking Turtle blog. I took Karate for five years. It's good to see a fellow martial artist.)

www.KristaMichaels.com

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:32 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Wow, it was Toei's idea?
Yeah, a while back I saw a Spanish YouTube comment which stated that the Spanish version will be called Dragon Ball Z Kai due to Toei as well (Well, from what I could understand with Google Translations.)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash