DB Movie One Comes Back To DVD, Says Otaku USA, Rightstuf

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

DB Movie One Comes Back To DVD, Says Otaku USA, Rightstuf

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:40 pm

According to this thread on ToonZone, the June 2010 issue of Otaku USA reveals FUNimation's release of DragonBall Movie 1: The Legend Of Shenlong. Previously the movie was held up in the same Kidmark issues as the first thirteen episodes of the TV series were. According to the magazine, it's a single release that's uncut, and bi-lingual. There was a really grainy image of the magazine on the site. No release was given.

Very weird that it seems they're reviewing a product before it was even announced.

EDIT- Rightstuf is listing thatDragon Ball Movie 1: Curse of the Blood Rubies is set for release on July 27, 2010 for an MSRP of just under $15.
Last edited by Super Sayian Prime on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: DragonBall Movie 1 Coming To DVD... Again

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:49 pm

The cover seems to be done in the same fashion as the Kai cover.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:52 pm

While I'm glad to see the movie finally get released, the cover is horrid. What's with FUNi's inclination towards sidebars on their new covers? Looks like shite.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Yeeeees!! It's coming out in a single! Hopefully it'll be 4:3..!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Thread title wrote:DragonBall Movie 1 Coming To DVD... Again
At least it's uncut this time, though.

I was actually thinking about this movie today and when it would be released uncut. I will definitely get this upon release. It's good to know that all those years of the Kidmark license on the first 13 episodes and the first movie have finally come to an end....
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baby Naruto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Baby Naruto » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Will it get a redub too?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Finally! Could this be the start of the DragonBox movie releases? Do they just have the DBZ movies or all the DB movies?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Baby Naruto wrote:Will it get a redub too?
Considering it was previously dubbed with the Ocean cast, and that it was heavily censored, those are two strikes against it. I don't think there's any doubt it will be redubbed. But who will be Goku, I wonder?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Finally! Could this be the start of the DragonBox movie releases? Do they just have the DBZ movies or all the DB movies?
They have all of the movies now. The only things we're not sure about them owning now are all of those special animations. It would be nice if FUNi could get those too....
Gaffer Tape wrote:Considering it was previously dubbed with the Ocean cast, and that it was heavily censored, those are two strikes against it. I don't think there's any doubt it will be redubbed. But who will be Goku, I wonder?
My guess is Colleen Clinkenbeard since she's voicing Gohan in Kai, but who knows?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:04 pm

The dub could've been done years ago, and they've been hoarding it for themselves... Okay, not likely because of the Madman release which featured the Funimation dub of 1-13 before Funimation even released it, and still had the Kidmark dub of Movie 1.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm super glad this is coming out by itself, because when I get the other three movies I'll easily be able to fit it into my singles collection :D. Still hoping for 4:3!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:09 pm

The dub could've been done years ago, and they've been hoarding it for themselves...
Well, they did that with Dragon Ball Z movie 12. The only reason we knew it was dubbed already was because a scene from it was shown in some kind of top 10 best fights thing. It was an extra on some disc, when FUNimation was just releasing movie 9 or 10.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm praying Stephanie will still be playing Goku and Tiffany playing Bulma. I realize the times are changing and they're both out. But I'm hoping that FUNi's release of DragonBall will at least be consistent like they did with their Z Sets (Well to a degree anyway, lol). I'm still also hoping for Stephanie to have re-done the Movies that Ceyli Delgadillo did and Tiffany to re-do Movie 2.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Tiffany [insert actress' last name here] didn't do Movie 2? o_o;
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:Tiffany [insert actress' last name here] didn't do Movie 2? o_o;
Nope. According to Wikipedia the actress' name is Leslie Alexander.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:00 am

Awesome. I left a gap in the first page of my dragonball dvd binder anticipating this, and it shall now be filled ^_^

I have a vhs of this, but haven't watched it in ages. I've really all but forgotten what happens, but I (think I) do remember how ungodly annoying the credits sequence was... was this movie the one with the big blue bar on the side covering the OMG JAPANESE TEXT! and hiding the nice ending animation too? Hope that's gone.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:20 am

Gozar wrote:I'm praying Stephanie will still be playing Goku and Tiffany playing Bulma. I realize the times are changing and they're both out. But I'm hoping that FUNi's release of DragonBall will at least be consistent like they did with their Z Sets (Well to a degree anyway, lol). I'm still also hoping for Stephanie to have re-done the Movies that Ceyli Delgadillo did and Tiffany to re-do Movie 2.
Replacing Naldony and Vollmer for Kai is one of the best decisions Funimation has made, so I hope they don't return. I'd prefer Delgadillo to Naldony.

But if Colleen Clinkenbeard and Monica Rial are young Goku and Bulma, that might be even better.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 am

penguintruth wrote:I'd prefer Delgadillo to Naldony.
What? Really? I felt she gave absolutely no personality and no charm to Goku.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:50 am

Gozar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I'd prefer Delgadillo to Naldony.
What? Really? I felt she gave absolutely no personality and no charm to Goku.
Well, for one, she made Goku sound geniunely like a young boy. And while she didn't push beyond her normal speaking tone for Goku most of the time, she at least didn't sound forced and irritating like Naldony's Goku.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:09 am

Hell yeah!

Well all saw this coming, right? Let's just hope the redub is as faithful as Kai and Stephaine Nadolny and Tiffany Volmer are coming back to do Goku and Bulma.