Yummy's Customs (DB Figures)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Yummy's Customs (DB Figures)

Post by yummypixels » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:07 am

Hello! I thought I'd start this thread since I wanted a place to post my custom action figures I've been working on, and only a few are completed (or worth posting on here thus far) and the rest on in progress. Which, I suppose I can also post my in-prog pics too! But I thought it'd be better to consolidate all my custom art and future work into this one post.

So here it is!

First off, my female saiyan custom figure! Now, this is my disclaimer. She was practice before I delve into making Seripa. So, she is basically not accurate to the show at all. She is a purely made up character (though she doesn't have a name) and again.. practice. She was my first sculpt I have done so far in my customs. I used a ChiChi body for the base, and then retooled a Bulma neck for the head. I sculpted the armor onto ChiChi's torso after sanding off the details and then painted her up! I'm satisfied for her being my first sculpt, and I feel much more prepared to start on making a manga-accurate Seripa figure now.

My other customs I'm going to post on here soon include a Turles and Bardock :D Just need to round up the pictures.
LiveJournal <-- DB News & Updates
YouTube <-- My Figure Reviews & AMVs

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: Yummy's Customs (DB Figures)

Post by Scarz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 am

Hey there Yummy, I recognized your avatar and user name from the Dragonballtoys' forum. I look forward to seeing more of your costumes toys and WIPs. I always found those who can make costume toys to be very cool. As for me, I think I'll stick to sculpting.

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks Scarz! I'm glad to see a familiar face! :D

Annd.. I return with a nice picture of my custom Turles! Now, I know his arm-guards are NOT accurate to the show.. and I'll tell you why--when I first made Turles, I had NO idea how to sculpt. Therefore, I didn't want to ruin him (or my paint job), so I modified them a little bit. As you can see, Turles is made of a Radditz body, with a Goku head. Another point, because my sculpting skills are not superb yet, I haven't added the stylized "devil horn" spikes that Turles normally has in his hair, to differentiate him from Goku.

Those points aside, I do think he came out very nicely. And I though added the fruit would be a nice touch.

For my next Turles, I plan on painting all of his skin, fixing the arm-guards, and adding the extra spikes to his hair. But that is another time, far far away. First I'd need a spare Radditz figure (which I've run out of for the time being), and second, I'd need more free time than I have right now. Boo. Oh well. I'm happy to display him as part of my collection.

Cheers!

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello Yummy, just wanted to say hi. I watch you on youtube and left a comment explaining data carddass :)

Also very nice Tullece xD

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 pm

darkhawk5 wrote:Hello Yummy, just wanted to say hi. I watch you on youtube and left a comment explaining data carddass :)

Also very nice Tullece xD
There were a few people explaining the carddass thing to me. Lol. I just never have been into any game you play with the cards like that. I mean.. I play.. card games.. like.. Solitaire, haha, but not battle card games. And I played pogs back in the day. Way. Back. In. The day.

But anyways! I appreciate your views on my videos!! :D I'm always happy to get to know someone who has watched them.
I really do need to make a new review.. I've been trying to keep my LJ updated frequently enough so that I don't have to make reviews quite as often. But my inbox on YT is floooooooded with messages asking me to make videos. Booooo.

And thanks about the custom! I love him. :]

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:11 am

Hey Yummy, I'm a big fan of your videos and that female Saiyan custom looks good. (For a pratice)

When you do make that Selipa custom, can you please do a video about her?

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:13 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Hey Yummy, I'm a big fan of your videos and that female Saiyan custom looks good. (For a pratice)

When you do make that Selipa custom, can you please do a video about her?

I'll be making a video about this custom first. The Seripa custom will take a while as I don't have all the parts yet.
And even though this one was practice.. I don't know how much better she can get (with my skills) except for hair and gloves..

And yaaay! I'm glad to meet a big fan of mine!
I have a few reviews planned to be filmed this weekend. So look forward to those!

Are you interested in just seeing the custom or hearing how it was done and the supplies used?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 pm

yummypixels wrote:
Are you interested in just seeing the custom or hearing how it was done and the supplies used?
Just seeing it would be fine.

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Hey YummyPixels! It is Namekian Dragon from DragonBallToys. Glad to see ya finally managed to venture on over here. This place is definitely more active then DBT! But with that said my activity here is much like it is over there... mostly non-existant. Anyway...

I want to say that you've impressed me with your collection and customs. I've always wanted to try my hand at it, but I've never had the time, and really don't have the desire anymore. I just think it is awesome what others can do. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more!
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Hey YummyPixels! It is Namekian Dragon from DragonBallToys. Glad to see ya finally managed to venture on over here. This place is definitely more active then DBT! But with that said my activity here is much like it is over there... mostly non-existant. Anyway...

I want to say that you've impressed me with your collection and customs. I've always wanted to try my hand at it, but I've never had the time, and really don't have the desire anymore. I just think it is awesome what others can do. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more!
Well hellooo!! :D

I have to say thank you very much. I have a decent sized collection ^^, I think I like to collect things differently than most (like I open everything, lol) but customizing is so fun! I kind of get addicted to it. I like to customize the characters from my fanfics and bring them to real life. Well "real life," lol.

Thank you again, and I will definitely keep everyone posted on my latest creations!! :]

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 am

yummypixels wrote:Thanks Scarz! I'm glad to see a familiar face! :D

Annd.. I return with a nice picture of my custom Tullece! Now, I know his arm-guards are NOT accurate to the show.. and I'll tell you why--when I first made Tullece, I had NO idea how to sculpt. Therefore, I didn't want to ruin him (or my paint job), so I modified them a little bit. As you can see, Tullece is made of a Radditz body, with a Goku head. Another point, because my sculpting skills are not superb yet, I haven't added the stylized "devil horn" spikes that Tullece normally has in his hair, to differentiate him from Goku.

Those points aside, I do think he came out very nicely. And I though added the fruit would be a nice touch.

For my next Tullece, I plan on painting all of his skin, fixing the arm-guards, and adding the extra spikes to his hair. But that is another time, far far away. First I'd need a spare Radditz figure (which I've run out of for the time being), and second, I'd need more free time than I have right now. Boo. Oh well. I'm happy to display him as part of my collection.

Cheers!
Best Tullece figure I've ever seen. considering I've only seen like 5
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Finally took pics of some recent custom work I did with my Bardock figures.

So, my goal with these customs was to attempt to get him more accurate to the show, rather than the the inaccurate coloring job of the Jakks original. This included: painting the toes on his boots green, his arm and leg guards red, and painting on a bandana. Also, carving a scar into the faces as opposed to a silly paint mark. ^^

I made sure to include the Jakks unpainted/no head-swap version of Bardock with the brown boots, brown arm guards, and brown toes.. and no bandana.

Here are the images:

Not a very difficult custom. I think carving the scars was the hardest part. But something I think Jakks should have done in the first place was... just.. paint him correctly.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 am

wow Bardock without a Bandanna just looks strange. Say how long does it take you to create and color each figurine?
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 am

Zionist wrote:wow Bardock without a Bandanna just looks strange. Say how long does it take you to create and color each figurine?
Well, painting fine details like the lines on the boots with green and black takes a bit of time and patience. I'd say each figure took about 2 hours to paint, then you let things dry. Usually I do two coats of paint, so maybe another hour. And then I seal everything so nothing chips. I suppose probably 3-4 hours, just for these customs.

Other stuff could take longer/less time.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue May 11, 2010 4:17 am

Nice custom as always YP and damn, that Jakks Bardock sucks. I'm glad you set things straight. :P

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Tue May 11, 2010 8:18 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Nice custom as always YP and damn, that Jakks Bardock sucks. I'm glad you set things straight. :P
:3 Thank you~! And yes, I agree. Being a Bardock-lovah, it seemed only right that I fix him up. xD

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue May 11, 2010 4:27 pm

How do you get Tulluce to stay in that hovering pose? It looks really neat!
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Blue wrote:How do you get Tulluce to stay in that hovering pose? It looks really neat!
Obitsu clear figure stand. :] Although I hear those are currently hard to find. Alternatives are tamashii stage or di:stage. I prefer the latter.

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Fri May 14, 2010 11:44 am

That Bardock figure is beyond comprehension! You put Jakks to shame.

Any chance you'd sell him? :P
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Tue May 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:That Bardock figure is beyond comprehension! You put Jakks to shame.

Any chance you'd sell him? :P
I would definitely sell him if the price is right. :wink: