Embarrassed watching DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Embarrassed watching DBZ?

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 am

While watching DBZ, have you ever had a family member, or friend, etc. walk in when Bulma in a bathtub or Roshi jumping into a girl's chest happens to be on the screen at the exact moment he or she walks in?

Rory
I Live Here

Re: embaresed watching DBZ?

Post by Rory » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:10 am

Um, odd phrasing of your question, but I'll share.
I used to get embarrased (I'd hit mute) every time this started playing.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:45 am

Rory wrote:Um, odd phrasing of your question, but I'll share.
I would too XD

Rock the Dragon was awesome!

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 am

Ahh, me too.
I always watched DBZ with my family in the room so I wasn't ashamed at such a point. But I was still a kid then. Now that I've hit the age of 23 I'd rather watch DBZ in my room along with all the other anime series I watch. I was always ashamed towards classmates though, but I always was scared of a negative response towards me if I told them I watched it. When I told someone about this addiction I get a good response now (class full of otakus) however I still don't like to watch it in public. Goes for most anime series though. But I have become more open about it.

Such a shame that my entire class seems to prefer the US dub!

Anyway, I got picked on a lot as a kid which resulted in me getting ashamed for my "odd hobbies". Because it wasn't really normal for girls to like DBZ.

But like I said, I've become much more open about it and I'm proud of that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Embarrassed watching DBZ?

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 am

Haven't been ashamed since ... ever, I guess. When I liked it as a kid, I was at an acceptable age. Then I put it down throughout most of late middle school and high school. By the time I rediscovered it, I'd established myself as a social and self-aware enough person to enjoy a kid's cartoon or two if I wanted.

Besides, 'tis a silly series.

ShonenKnife
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShonenKnife » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am

Of all the social circles I'm part of, I'm the only one who still cultivates an interest in the series. I have two other friends who like it, one who just remembers enjoying it as a kid, and another who just watches online bootlegs now and again. Anyone else I know has either had to silently accept the fact that I'm a fan, or periodically rip on me for it, but I continue to watch. Heck, I watched most of the early Namek story in my Gran's living room without giving a thought to her opinion of my taste.

I haven't been embarrased about my fandom since I was like 14. Why should anyone else care anyway? It's a pet interest for some of us, we're not forcing it down anyones throats... are we? :twisted:
What does the scouter say about his blood alcohol level?
Eddie wrote:SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Standing on exploding planets may put your health at risk. Pregnant women, or women who may become pregnant (possibly by a spiky haired alien with a penchant for murder & destruction) should get the f*** off of said planet. If you find yourself on an exploding planet, get your ass to the dancing purple man's ship and leave immediately.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 am

Never, we are liberal a lot about cultural things and also, most of people here are watching a lot worse things then Pokémon for example is, so why to hide my passion for some series)))
I'm reading Dragon Ball comic in bus full of people, they only don't understand why I'm reading this stuff backwards and with some weird signs written in it.
It's maybe a lot about people that you are in contact with.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:47 pm

I won't deny it if asked, but I certainly won't go out of my way to announce that I enjoy Dragon Ball or any anime in general at the ripe elderly age of 25.

That being said, my best friend and I still do the Fusion Dance in public.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Nah, I don't believe in being embarrassed about my interests. If someone has a problem with it, they can go...well, you get the idea. Besides, I think people need to be more embarrassed of their lack of morals and shame in this day and age. :P
Trans rights, now!

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:07 pm

I don't make any conversation about the fact that I like Dragonball with most people. I've never been openly otaku in any sense in person, and even when I used to work for GameStop, I made it a point not to feverishly bring up DBZ too often in that environment.

In addition to that, I'm not as much into anime in general anymore. DBZ is a show I'll always love, but anime is something I'm getting away from more and more. So to be completely honest, though I watch DBZ on at least a weekly basis if not more, yes, I am somewhat embarassed about that. I don't care; I simply don't bring it up in my daily life.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:10 pm

It's strange seeing all of these responses for me. Ever since I was a little kid, everyone I knew was into Dragon Ball Z and would never make you feel embarrassed about it. And I mean everyone, my friends, my family... In pre-school they even had us watch Dragon Ball Z on Kids WB on Weekday mornings or on Toonami while waiting for our parents to pick us up in the evenings. It's like, people were encouraged to watch DBZ back then(and Sailor Moon too, lol). Even now, a bunch of my classmates - some who are anime fans, some who like action series like Avatar and such, and some who just like watching TV - are hyped to find out that Dragon Ball Z Kai is airing on US broadcast next month, as the nostalgia hit them a mile away.

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Well I remember I actually sang along with that intro playing, or all dub themes for that matter.
Thinking back it's embarrasing, then again I was kid so who cares.

So other than that, I can't really think of any moments that were of could have been embarrasing

And even my new colleagues accept it and showed interest.
I guess I live in a very embarrasment free environment. :D

PS. Just for the record I don't sing along with cartoon intro's anymore and even if I did I still wouldn't be embarrased. :P
Last edited by Booney on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

TimeCrash4

Post by TimeCrash4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:18 pm

I suppose whenever there is a powerup I cringe whenever someone is in the room. Well for the funi dub anyways, it seems like they're constipated or something.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:28 pm

At home I don't generally get embarassed, but it was awkward when my mother yelled at me for singing along to Cha-La Head-Cha-La, despite the fact my sister was singing along to the theme to Hannah Montana mere moments earlier.

But in public it can be embarassing. Lately I've been carrying around a volume or two of the manga to use as artistic refrence during school, which is where I do most of my drawing, since I can't draw muscular people. I generally try to hide it underneath my other books.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:29 pm

I don't think there are many instances where I was embarrassed by being a DragonBall fan. This one time, DragonBall Z Season 4 fell out of my bag and a girl I liked picked it up, in that 5 second span I just wanted to crawl under a rock until she said she loved DragonBall too! Everything turned out well from there :).

I think I was embarrassed once when my mum walked past when Piccolo died in GT and I had my serious face on, she claimed that I was crying but I don't kno why that was embarrassing, it might have just been that awkwardness with my mum.

As for the Bulma in the tub, and Roshi's antics it's annoying when someone that's not a fan of the show see me watching that bit. They really get the wrong end of the stick!

However, by no means am I generally embarrassed about being a fan. To be honest, I don't think my brain has the capability of asking a question like this.

EDIT: OH! Not to mention my mum singing along to Zenkai Power everytime it comes on. I think she starts saying Pikachu at some point too...
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Jon Jon wrote:
I would too XD

Rock the Dragon was awesome!
Rock the Dragon and Bruce Faulconer's pieces rule. On YTV, same thing for the link above even the Blue Water DB/DBGT openings messed my mind. Japanese and North American music are purely 100% best IMO.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:42 pm

@thread starter: No, this has not happened to me, but why would you be embarassed from it? I guess you might be a young teenager?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I was the only few people in my high school that like DBZ, and I was pretty embarrassed that I said I enjoy DB since most people think DBZ is just a kids show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Z-Dragon
Beyond Newbie

Post by Z-Dragon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:17 pm

I don't get embarrassed and I don't remember I got embarrassed when I was a kid. I watched some animes on Toonami tv show at my home or my grandmother's house when I was a kid. My family don't care about me watching the animes on my computer.

EDIT: I changed Toonami, not Cartoon Network. :oops:

nachochip

Post by nachochip » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm

No. Never. I make sure to point those scenes out to the people around me. I've never been embarrassed about the things I like.