Dragon Soul (TV Size) [English Fandub]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Dragon Soul (TV Size) [English Fandub]

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun May 02, 2010 3:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxmKPCIljdU

When Seán Schemmel announced what the actual lyrics were, I wanted to try this in English.
Hopefully, I'm hoping it sounds decent. I sang along with Japanese actually, so I didn't reference the official English version's vocals but used the English lyrics.

Credits and lyrics in video, I also noticed I misspelled Takayoshi Tanimoto's name as Ta"ki"yoshi Tanimoto, but I'm not gonna bother changing it.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Soul (TV Size) [English Fandub]

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun May 02, 2010 5:26 am

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but you can't sing that well and your voice sounded really muffled and monotonous.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:08 am

It sounded like you were afraid to raise your voice at all, and it was incredibly weak and underwhelming. Singing requires a lot of opening of the throat, and power from your diaphragm (among some other things that I couldn't really describe well in text). You really need to put more power and emotion into it, otherwise it will sound flat and lifeless.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun May 02, 2010 8:49 am

I'm trying to put this as nicely as possible, but that performance was awful, it doesn't sound like you are singing, it sounds like you're a sad robot wailing monotonously on top of the melody.

I don't know what advice I can offer you as I'm not a singer, but listening to yourself sing without any backing instrumentation might be an idea, as it does sound like you're more than a little tone deaf. But even so, it sounds like you don't have the kind of vocal range and control that lends itself to singing.

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Sun May 02, 2010 11:25 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm trying to put this as nicely as possible, but that performance was awful, it doesn't sound like you are singing, it sounds like you're a sad robot wailing monotonously on top of the melody.
So it's like Marvin the Paronoid Android singing?
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun May 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I don't want to sound rude or anything, but you can't sing that well and your voice sounded really muffled and monotonous.
I guess. Huh, every singing fandub of Dragon Ball turns out to be shit... Well, I don't know.
Metalwario64 wrote:It sounded like you were afraid to raise your voice at all, and it was incredibly weak and underwhelming. Singing requires a lot of opening of the throat, and power from your diaphragm (among some other things that I couldn't really describe well in text). You really need to put more power and emotion into it, otherwise it will sound flat and lifeless.
Makes sense, it probably doesn't help that outside of school I never vocally warm-up, 'cause I can't remember what to start with. So, that might explain it... I know I can sing well, but, it's just not happening with the fandubs...
Captain Awesome wrote:I'm trying to put this as nicely as possible, but that performance was awful, it doesn't sound like you are singing, it sounds like you're a sad robot wailing monotonously on top of the melody.

I don't know what advice I can offer you as I'm not a singer, but listening to yourself sing without any backing instrumentation might be an idea, as it does sound like you're more than a little tone deaf. But even so, it sounds like you don't have the kind of vocal range and control that lends itself to singing.
Yeah, actually it does now that I rechecked, well, I'm gonna wait a long time again before I post a fandub of me singing, haha. I've said in Chorus before, when something was brought up about pitch, etc. "I think I'm tone deaf.", then others said "Uh, no you're not." So, I think it's just a problem I have a home. I seem to do much better in front of people/a crowd.

But, one last one for now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idTfK7eDXDk

A fandub of Cha-La, the thing I want to know if it's good is the lyrics, the vocals are probably just as bad a Dragon Soul. At the end, I also kinda just said (loudly) "Sparking!" since I don't do it anything like Kageyama. It seems a lot better than the Dragon Soul dub, but, that doesn't seem to be saying much. But, it's probably worse. I don't know...

Lyrics:

(SPARKING)

We will truly break the clouds, and Fly Away. (Fly Away)
And use this, Panorama to go and cease the day!

Then, the earth gets its face badly hit. (Badly hit)
A volcano burst limits because of it.

If I found a dinosaur within the ice,
I'd get it to ride a ball, hey, isn't that really nice?

Cha-La-Head-Cha-La!
In any extreme cases of danger, I will still feel great!
Cha-La-Head-Cha-La!
My heart pounds loudly as I wait now.
The roaring Genki-Dama!

Cha-La-Head-Cha-La!
I don't want to think of things, so I can keep on my dream!
Cha-La-Head-Cha-La!
A smile that looks like it's Ultra-Z.
Today, seems fine to me!

SPARKING!
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Mon May 03, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 02, 2010 3:41 pm

You've done better. Cha-La sounds - well, horrible. Granted I have no right to criticize someone's singing, but you need to not be afraid to stretch your range. Monotone for singing is only cool when it's Ben Stein, and it's not even that cool then.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun May 02, 2010 3:44 pm

bkev wrote:You've done better. Cha-La sounds - well, horrible. Granted I have no right to criticize someone's singing, but you need to not be afraid to stretch your range. Monotone for singing is only cool when it's Ben Stein, and it's not even that cool then.
Makes sense. Oh, well. At this point I kinda expected to. Do the lyrics themselves seem okay though? If that's the case and those aren't too bad, I should just keep making lyrics adaptations and hope someone else sings it. I should probably just stick to Voice Acting... At least its not all bad there... But, even than at this point I'm starting to doubt myself with that too.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 am

That was better, but frankly not by much. Everything I said before still applies. You're not really that good at singing and you should stop now to save yourself from further embarrassment.

I apologize if that came off too harsh, but I really think somebody needed to tell you.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon May 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
That was better, but frankly not by much. Everything I said before still applies. You're not really that good at singing and you should stop now to save yourself from further embarrassment.

I apologize if that came off too harsh, but I really think somebody needed to tell you.
Yes, I'm well aware. No, you didn't come off as too harsh.

Last song I'll post in this thread, but it isn't Dragon Ball, so I wanna see if I do better with non-DB songs.

Alumina (Death Note Ending - English Fandub)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfQrqicmVvY

I feel way better about that fandub compared to any of the Dragon Ball song fandubs.
Yeah, after this I won't post anymore song fandubs to save from embarrassment as you said.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon May 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Your Cha-La lyrics *really* don't fit the space at all. You're just stretching syllables like crazy to try to force words that just don't fit in a melody in any way. Go find Kageyama's Engrish version and adapt the lyrics from that or something.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Puto wrote:Your Cha-La lyrics *really* don't fit the space at all. You're just stretching syllables like crazy to try to force words that just don't fit in a melody in any way. Go find Kageyama's Engrish version and adapt the lyrics from that or something.
I suggest doing the Gino Padilla version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-PvYfCjk8
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:18 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Alumina (Death Note Ending - English Fandub)
What is this I don't even.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon May 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Puto wrote:Your Cha-La lyrics *really* don't fit the space at all. You're just stretching syllables like crazy to try to force words that just don't fit in a melody in any way. Go find Kageyama's Engrish version and adapt the lyrics from that or something.
I suggest doing the Gino Padilla version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-PvYfCjk8
Makes sense. Maybe a long time from now?

Metalwario64 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Alumina (Death Note Ending - English Fandub)
What is this I don't even.
What do mean by that, I can't tell what you're trying to say (being serious), probably sucks too, right? Haha.

I posted that in the hopes that it's way better than the Dragon Ball song dubs.

If that sounds like shit, I'm just not gonna bother with it anymore.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 pm

I think the biggest problem people have is that you sound extremely monotone. Project yourself, lad! :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:What do mean by that, I can't tell what you're trying to say (being serious), probably sucks too, right? Haha.

I apologize for not elaborating. But it sounds very droning and monotone. It's also kind of detuned and painful to listen to, especially due to you singing the main lead with a deep voice, and the backup is an out of tune higher pitched voice. It sounds very demented and awkward.

I haven't heard the original song, so I don't know if it's supposed to sound sadistic and evil.

You also really need to stop being afraid of raising your voice and going into different notes and pitches. As it stands, your singing is very droning and robotic.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Big Momma wrote:I think the biggest problem people have is that you sound extremely monotone. Project yourself, lad! :D
I'll have to, but I'm sort of afraid
Metalwario64 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:What do mean by that, I can't tell what you're trying to say (being serious), probably sucks too, right? Haha.

I apologize for not elaborating. But it sounds very droning and monotone. It's also kind of detuned and painful to listen to, especially due to you singing the main lead with a deep voice, and the backup is an out of tune higher pitched voice. It sounds very demented and awkward.

I haven't heard the original song, so I don't know if it's supposed to sound sadistic and evil.

You also really need to stop being afraid of raising your voice and going into different notes and pitches. As it stands, your singing is very droning and robotic.
Probably not supposed to sound like that, but it sounded awkward even when just the deep voice, but that's cause I have problems mixing the vocals and instrumental when it's just 1 voice. So, that why I threw the second voice in, even though it is out of tune.

Yeah, that appears to be my problem, not projecting... God, I gotta find a way to improve that.

Here's the original song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGI8VYQg9Q

Actually, in Chorus, 2 weeks from Friday, we're doing a concert called Cabaret Night, people get dinner before, than we (members of the Chorus) choose our own songs to sing. You can either be solo or a group, so I'm going so and I'm singing that same song. Differences, Piano is used, I can only use one voice. I'll be singing that in both Japanese and English. I'll have someone use my Video Camera to record. Than, hopefully, unlike all these song attempts, the live performance actually sounds decent (possibly good?) So, yeah. I'll post that after it happens. So, I can prove I'm not completely talking out of my ass, hahaha.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Big Momma wrote:I think the biggest problem people have is that you sound extremely monotone. Project yourself, lad! :D

Don't be :wink:

Remember....we, as Daizexers, have to keep an "Ultra-shounen" attitude!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Big Momma wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Don't be :wink:

Remember....we, as Daizexers, have to keep an "Ultra-shounen" attitude!
Yeah! You're right. But, I don't know still.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote: Alumina (Death Note Ending - English Fandub)
*Facepalm*

You just never learn, do you?