FUNimation Sales Down 15% in Q4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

FUNimation Sales Down 15% in Q4

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:58 am

Man...I hate reading stuff like this. I really want the R1 anime industry to do well. Greg Ayers was totally right...it is going to hell. Okay, well, I guess that's me being a tad pessimistic...but only a tad.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -sales-dip
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation Sales Down 15% in Q4

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:00 am

Oh shit! This might lead to the cancellation of the Dragon Boxes! :cry:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:04 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Oh shit! This might lead to the cancellation of the Dragon Boxes! :cry:
That wouldn't surprise me at all. Over here at Daizenshuu EX (and among the more hardcore fans), the Dragon Boxes are being praised as a divine gift, but virtually everywhere else I've read it seems--based purely on my general observations, mind you--that the Dragon Boxes are being regarded as "just another re-release."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:09 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Oh shit! This might lead to the cancellation of the Dragon Boxes! :cry:
That wouldn't surprise me at all. Over here at Daizenshuu EX (and among the more hardcore fans), the Dragon Boxes are being praised as a divine gift, but virtually everywhere else I've read it seems--based purely on my general observations, mind you--that the Dragon Boxes are being regarded as "just another re-release."
Agreed. Our love and worship of the Dragon Boxes is clouding us from the fact that they might actually be canceled due to insufficient sales.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 am

All Dragon Box speculation aside, this is bad news for anime, period. It seems like I'm never reading news about profits in this industry anymore, only lay-offs, firings, downsizing, closing, delisting...it's pretty miserable, really. It's just not fair. I try to change it as much as I can by buying the DVDs, but...man, this just sucks...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:30 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:All Dragon Box speculation aside, this is bad news for anime, period. It seems like I'm never reading news about profits in this industry anymore, only lay-offs, firings, downsizing, closing, delisting...it's pretty miserable, really. It's just not fair. I try to change it as much as I can by buying the DVDs, but...man, this just sucks...
Well, due to the state of the economy, you can pretty much say that about many other things as well (but things are apparently improving somewhat, but it will take a long time before we start to notice it. For what it's worth, I have seen a ton of construction lately, which equals quite a few jobs).

It definitely worse in the anime industry though, largely due to the selfish people of whom I can think of many a derogatory term to describe, who only watch torrented fansubs due to outdated logic from the mid nineties when dub-only VHS's ran rampant. Either that, or they somehow think that only translating half of the dialogue, resulting in tons of ridiculous "translator's notes" during the video somehow makes it "cooler" and "more accurately translated". I seriously watched a Slayers Revolution fansub where "aniki" was left untranslated for god knows why, and there was a stupid little "translators note" at the top which read "note - aniki means brother in Japanese". So... then why couldn't you just translate the fucking word? "Nakama" is also a big example of a term uselessly left untranslated to be "edgier" and "more Japanese"...

It also severely pisses me off when I go to random forums, and they will have anime discussions and talk about "what anime's you need to torrent." It sickens me that people feel the need to download what is readily available at an affordable price, either due to laziness, cheapness, or outdated/inaccurate reasoning. There are plenty of shows I would like to watch, but I have to wait until I get the money to buy them/they are released, and I refuse to torrent them. I'd much rather have Fist of The North Star with remastered footage on DVD than to torrent the series with subpar TV rips and subs.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:36 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
It definitely worse in the anime industry though, largely due to the selfish people of whom I can think of many a derogatory term to describe, who only watch torrented fansubs due to outdated logic from the mid nineties when dub-only VHS's ran rampant. Either that, or they somehow think that only translating half of the dialogue, resulting in tons of ridiculous "translator's notes" during the video somehow makes it "cooler" and "more accurately translated". I seriously watched a Slayers Revolution fansub where "aniki" was left untranslated for God knows why, and there was a stupid little "translators note" at the top which read "note - aniki means brother in Japanese". So... then why couldn't you just translate the fucking word? Fucking "Nakama" is a big example of a term uselessly left untranslated to be "edgier" and "more Japanese"...
I can't agree with you more. The most recent time this happened to me when I was watching a Yu-Gi-Oh! fansub (which BTW is the only way to watch the series in Japanese with subs, apart from the first 9 episodes which did get an uncut home release), where "Sennen no Puzzle" and "Yami no Game" were left untranslated (which translate to Thousand Years or Millenium Puzzle and Game of Darkness).

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:43 am

I'm not really surprised considering the fact that all of the episodes of DBZ and One Piece are available on the internet for free in reasonable quality. Kind of makes me sad though.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:10 am

While it may seem grim, I'm optimistic all seven Dragon Boxes will see release just because I can't see FUNimation wanting to waste the money they spent getting the masters from Toei in the first place, especially now being three boxes in. A North American release of Dragon Box: The Movies however is in extreme jeopardy right now, that's fairly certain, and hopes of a future Dragon Ball and GT Dragon Box release are even more so.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:...(which BTW is the only way to watch the series in Japanese with subs, apart from the first 9 episodes which did get an uncut home release)...
Ugh, don't remind me. I'm still angry over that cancellation. Couple that with the fact that I doubt anyone's willing to try a second crack at releasing that anytime soon.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 am

The reason for this is that Japan just makes too god damn much of the stuff. Few people are going to buy anywhere near the amount of anime they would like to watch, simple because there's tons of it and it would cost a fortune.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:03 am

A decrease of 15%? Yes it's bad. Still nothing compare to what happened to the German anime industry in 2007 (a decrease of nearly 70%).

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:13 am

@Timo

What the hell, why did that happen?

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:20 am

Here guys:
Silver Shenron front page wrote:NAVARRE DIPS DOWN 15% ON THEIR OWN ANIME CHAIN, FUNIMATION

8:18 AM ET
- 2010/06/05 By SilverPlaqueVII

Anime News Network is reporting on Friday that anime sales "declined as a result of a weaker release schedule". At some point, it may affect the Dragon Ball franchise and DVD releases in the coming months. Navarre released the Q4 fiscal results for FUNimation, Encore, and BCI bought the net sales of US$18.8 million less than 15% compared to last year unlike the Q3 which Navarre increased in 50% on software as anime sales did back in Q3. They had 6% of operating income (profit minus operating expenses) of 68% and a decrease in debt from US$24.1 million to US$6.6 million, as well as about 73%.

Also stated, Navarre will classify FUNimation as a "discontinue operation" for their reference of the company's pending sale in the fiscal year of 2011 as I posted on the May 27th post (see bottom). FUNimation will remain in normal operation until a sale goes through.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:04 am

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:06 am

tvfan721 wrote:Anime is too fucking expensive, it's that simple.
But if you love something a lot, you'll support it, no matter the costs.

BTW, Anime is way more expensive in Australia.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:16 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
But if you love something a lot, you'll support it, no matter the costs.

BTW, Anime is way more expensive in Australia.
As well in the US and here in Canada.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:As well in the US and here in Canada.
Bullshit, Anime in the USA costs like half or a quarter of what it costs in the UK or Australia, and they at least know how to encode DVDs without fucking it up.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:53 am

I just picked up three seasons of Dragon ball, wit approximately 30 episodes on each set for $29 a piece, and another older release(in terms of the time it was dubbed, the show actually came out in 2005), with only 24 episodes, for $28.

Anime in the U.S. is not expensive. At least, no more than season sets for American TV shows. Try shopping online where you get better deals; Best Buy fucks you over.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:04 am

Son Wukong wrote:@Timo

What the hell, why did that happen?
One word: Rippers!

Of course a few other issues, but the DVD-rippers are the main reason that the German Anime industry (an industry which was never really big and healthy) is pretty down.

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:09 am

Anime really isn't that expensive in America, but I heard it can get pretty expensive in Japan