Why do you like Budokai 3/Infinite World?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why do you like Budokai 3/Infinite World?

Post by Thanos » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Keep in mind that this post isn't me complaining or whining about these games... adoration for this series over the Sparking! series seems to be pretty universal, and I'd just like to get to the bottom of why this is the case. I am aware of some of the glitches that people do to make it more interesting (guard cancels anyone?), though.

I played Infinite World recently again after finishing it a couple of years ago. I've been playing since the first Budokai was released, so I know what I'm doing. Firstly, in Budokai 3, while it has a mediocre fighting-system, is completely and totally 100% unequivocally destroyed by the Hyper Mode. Where in DBZ does a character turn blue and glow red, and lose the ability to block? After that, the AI spams Dragon Rush. Which is basically a throw-of-the-dice cutscene. Especially on the harder difficulties, the CPU seems to have a fetish for. Why? Because it annoys me. :P

Second, we have Infinite World. While basically Budokai 3.5, to its credit, it does add new combos for characters, dashing, new characters (albeit ones that effectively replaced other characters), and the omission of Dragon Rush. Though, beam-struggles are gone ( :( ), and they added some mini-games which, while a couple are decent, the ring collection games just feel like I'm playing an N64 space shooter.

What plagues both of these games, and what makes me even more annoyed when playing, is fatigue. It somehow manages to happen more to me than the CPU (how convenient :roll: ), and I have to roll the analog stick every goddamn time. Let's not forget the fact that you can't jump, crouch, free-move, or fly coherently.

The thing is, I adore the Shin Budokai games. I absolutely get the appeal of them. Your character doesn't walk at like 1MPH as in the console games, you just sort of dash back and forth. It's got free-movement, non-cutscene, real-time special moves, selectable transformations, better characters, more character individually, the list goes on.

I guess my inability to "get" the Budokai games is like my inability to "get" Radiohead and South Park. :P
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Why do you like Budokai 3/Infinite World?

Post by Rory » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:03 pm

If you don't "get" South Park, then I can't help you.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:34 am

Yes, yes. Hyper Mode and Dragon Rush completely wrecked Budokai 3 and really turn me off from playing it. I guess the developers thought they were being creative by adding these two stupid and annoying gameplay elements. I really don't know. Budokai 3 would've been an okay game without them.

I do have my issues with Infinite World (difficulty, mini-games, no beam clashes), but it is still leagues better than Budokai 3. However, it is still is a blatant rehash.

Gameplay-wise, the Shin Budokai series is the best (despite the fact that they're on the PSP). My main issue with both of these games, is their story mode. The first game's story mode is solely based on a single movie without many changes. It is also a bit on the short side. Not to mention the translation seems a bit wonky.

The second game's story mode is original plot-wise, but is horribly executed. Flying around a map, battling enemies and saving cities sounds good in theory, but they couldn't have made it worse. The graphics are choppy and look like shit, there are camera issues and it gets really hard in later levels.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Yes, yes. Hyper Mode and Dragon Rush completely wrecked Budokai 3 and really turn me off from playing it. I guess the developers thought they were being creative by adding these two stupid and annoying gameplay elements. I really don't know. Budokai 3 would've been an okay game without them.

I do have my issues with Infinite World (difficulty, mini-games, no beam clashes), but it is still leagues better than Budokai 3. However, it is still is a blatant rehash.

Gameplay-wise, the Shin Budokai series is the best (despite the fact that they're on the PSP). My main issue with both of these games, is their story mode. The first game's story mode is solely based on a single movie without many changes. It is also a bit on the short side. Not to mention the translation seems a bit wonky.

The second game's story mode is original plot-wise, but is horribly executed. Flying around a map, battling enemies and saving cities sounds good in theory, but they couldn't have made it worse. The graphics are choppy and look like shit, there are camera issues and it gets really hard in later levels.
As always, our posts are basically interchangeable. It's amazing how you always say what I think. :P

Dimps seems to think some type of convoluted pseudo-complex Story Mode is the way to go. I liked Spike's straightforward method for Story Mode. Raging Blast basically had it right.

What you say about the gameplay rings true when going back to the first Budokai. Going back and forth with punch combos and a special move here and there. In the next games, they added teleporting, counters, some extra combos... and suddenly the game is brilliant and no game up 'til and since it has been as much of a masterpiece as Budokai 3. :shock:

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:17 pm

My personal answer to the opening question is that (from my own experience) it's a lot easier to get a non fan playing Budokai 3 or Infinite World than the Sparking! games. I always had great fights with one of my friends who absolutely didn't get Dragonball in any shape or form.

Except Budokai 3.

We ended up at a very similar skill level and enjoyed epic, close battles which ultimately ended up making even more of my mates want have a go. We ended up really exploring the game and fighting mechanics (cancelling etc.) and got a lot of play out of it. This was the only Dragonball game that I was able to play with people on a regular basis.

When it came to the first and second Sparking! games, I couldn't get anyone into it, which detracted from the overall gameplay experience. However they're great games in their own right and by all means I can see why people enjoy them more than the other series of games.

Other than that, Super DBZ beats them both in my opinion.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

wannywan wrote:My personal answer to the opening question is that (from my own experience) it's a lot easier to get a non fan playing Budokai 3 or Infinite World than the Sparking! games. I always had great fights with one of my friends who absolutely didn't get Dragonball in any shape or form.

Except Budokai 3.

We ended up at a very similar skill level and enjoyed epic, close battles which ultimately ended up making even more of my mates want have a go. We ended up really exploring the game and fighting mechanics (cancelling etc.) and got a lot of play out of it. This was the only Dragonball game that I was able to play with people on a regular basis.

When it came to the first and second Sparking! games, I couldn't get anyone into it, which detracted from the overall gameplay experience. However they're great games in their own right and by all means I can see why people enjoy them more than the other series of games.

Other than that, Super DBZ beats them both in my opinion.
My thoughts exactly!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:22 am

Thanos wrote: As always, our posts are basically interchangeable. It's amazing how you always say what I think. :P
Great minds think alike. :wink:
Thanos wrote: Dimps seems to think some type of convoluted pseudo-complex Story Mode is the way to go. I liked Spike's straightforward method for Story Mode. Raging Blast basically had it right.
Agreed. A Dragon Ball game's story mode is a big factor in my enjoyment of it. That's why Budokai 2 really falls short, IMO.
Thanos wrote: What you say about the gameplay rings true when going back to the first Budokai. Going back and forth with punch combos and a special move here and there. In the next games, they added teleporting, counters, some extra combos... and suddenly the game is brilliant and no game up 'til and since it has been as much of a masterpiece as Budokai 3. :shock:
Agreed. Dragon Rush and Hyper Mode destroyed Budokai 3. Even Dimps knew this. That's why they took those features out in Infinite World and Burst Limit.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 am

It seems Daimaoh and Thanos are simply looking for a decent Dragon Ball simulator, whether the gameplay is refined/polished is little or no relevance to them. That's what I'm getting from this thread anyway.
Oh, that, and they really need to get a room.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:57 am

Rory wrote:It seems Daimaoh and Thanos are simply looking for a decent Dragon Ball simulator, whether the gameplay is refined/polished is little or no relevance to them. That's what I'm getting from this thread anyway.
Nope, I'm looking for both those things. That's why I'm not big on the Budokai series.

Rory wrote: Oh, that, and they really need to get a room.
Way to handle someone having a different opinion than you.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Way to handle someone having a different opinion than you.
... I... don't... what?!

What Rory's saying is that you two seem to line up so well that it's kinda fun, and jokingly suggests that you get along so well you might as well "get a room" (go make out together). It's... not... something negative... really...

Stop with the passive-aggressive bullshit. I'm really sick of it. Account warnings come next, leading up to temporary and/or permanent bans. If you can't speak nicely, don't even bother posting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Way to handle someone having a different opinion than you.
... I... don't... what?!

What Rory's saying is that you two seem to line up so well that it's kinda fun, and jokingly suggests that you get along so well you might as well "get a room" (go make out together). It's... not... something negative... really...
Call me sensitive or whatever you want, but I certaintly took that negatively. As in, we have clashing opinions so he goes and tells me to "make out" with someone else.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:11 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:[ As in, we have clashing opinions so he goes and tells me to "make out" with someone else.
Ha, what? I can understand if you find it to be a negative comment seeing as how he's implying you guys are fawning all over each other but...I have no idea where you're getting that reasoning from.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:17 am

Blue wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:[ As in, we have clashing opinions so he goes and tells me to "make out" with someone else.
Ha, what? I can understand if you find it to be a negative comment seeing as how he's implying you guys are fawning all over each other but...I have no idea where you're getting that reasoning from.
I really don't want to take this any further, but I get the impression that he made that snarky comment because our opinions were so different and he couldn't/didn't want to refute my arguments.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 am

Infinite World is the best game ever released under the Dragonball label. I don't know why so many people seem to prefer Budokai 3 over it, so I must conclude mass hysteria is the cause.

No, Super DBZ is not better. It is merely a rehash of last century's gameplay.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Infinite World would be the ultimate perfection of Dimps' PS2 series if it had any difficulty setting other than "brutal butt-rape." I shouldn't have to struggle to merely get through story mode on "Very Easy." Other than that, it was great. Good character lineup, solid controls and mechanics, and an absolutely glorious capsule system much improved over the horrible "stacking"-style one of the prior Budokai games.

I own Budokai 2 on GameCube, and keep it for sentimental reasons (it's one of the very first games I bought for it) and in hopes that someday I'll work up the patience to trudge through story mode enough times to unlock Gotan and Yamhan. I've tried Budokai 3, and didn't like it much. It was just non-stop DragonRush-Teleport-DragonRush-Teleport-DragonRush-Teleport. It was lame and repetitive.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Kaboom wrote: I've tried Budokai 3, and didn't like it much. It was just non-stop DragonRush-Teleport-DragonRush-Teleport-DragonRush-Teleport. It was lame and repetitive.
I really loved it when it first came out but I end up agreeing with you more and more as it ages.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Rocketman wrote:Infinite World is the best game ever released under the Dragonball label. I don't know why so many people seem to prefer Budokai 3 over it, so I must conclude mass hysteria is the cause.

No, Super DBZ is not better. It is merely a rehash of last century's gameplay.
I'd probably love Infinite Worlds over Budokai 3 but I've never gotten around to buying it. I got a PS3 around the time of IW so I decided to get Burst Limit instead. IW sounds like a lot of fun but seeing as how I haven't played Budokai 3, for now, is my personal favorite.

Super DBZ is one of my favorite Dragonball fighters but it's lacking in a lot of departments. If another game came out with the same style of gameplay but with a lot more polish, than I'd say that would be my candidate for number one on my favorites list.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Stop with the passive-aggressive bullshit. I'm really sick of it. Account warnings come next, leading up to temporary and/or permanent bans. If you can't speak nicely, don't even bother posting.
Wait, who are you talking to? :) I didn't get any passive-aggressiveness from anyone, really, except maybe Rory... but you seem to have justified his post above your warning... gah, I'm confused. If it was somehow my fault, I apologize. I truly didn't mean to come across as negative at all. My comments thus-far have only been in criticism of the games, not the players, or more specifically, anyone here. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, absolutely. That's why I created this thread to begin with; I, for the first time, wanted to have an adult dialogue with other adults about what aspects of the series you prefer over my beloved Sparking! titles.

In regard to the suggestion that Daimaoh and I get a room, I honestly don't give a toss. I do not register opinions or insults when they are completely unrelated to the topic at hand. :roll: I certainly am not about to start making out with another (presumably) male, so talk to the hand.:P

Now, back to the topic. I would actually disagree with the idea, Rory, that Daimaoh and I are merely looking for a DBZ simulator. Speaking for myself, I do enjoy that aspect of Sparking!, however... I really, absolutely disagree with the premise that the Budokai series has any semblance to a traditional 2D fighter. Without the inclusion of crouching, jumping or multiple punch/kick buttons, but instead have a ki blast button, punch-combo specials + instant specials (from Budokai 2-on), flight, transformations, fusion, teleportation, beam-struggles, aura burst, dragon rush, capsule customization, usable in-game items... these things a traditional 2D fighter is not.

Incidentally, I am looking for both, separately, mind you, DBZ simulator and traditional 2D DBZ fighter. This is why I thoroughly enjoy both the Sparking! series as well as Super Dragon Ball Z. My record throughout my time here in these forums is consistent with that; I love Sparking!/Raging Blast and Super DBZ. But also I love some other traditional fighters as well, such as the Super Butouden series and Hyper Dimension for Super Nintendo. I feel like the Budokai games are a half-assed mesh of these two game-styles. It's as if it doesn't know if it's trying to be a DBZ simulator or a traditional fighter.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanos wrote:I feel like the Budokai games are a half-assed mesh of these two game-styles. It's as if it doesn't know if it's trying to be a DBZ simulator or a traditional fighter.
The Budokai games don't need to try and be anything. They are unique. That is why they are enjoyable.

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Infinite world fighting gameplay is kind of a waste when you have played Shin budokai ..
much much faster, better, beautifull ..

Also I am one that likes dragon rush a lot.
Could be better if its like ten diferent sequences random .

Ultimates sequences are solid !
There is to much waste of ultimates in Sparking,
those could have been done in real time. They are too fast.

I like the models for budokai . They use less poligons true,
but take a look at burst limit dammit !

I like the level up and world map.
Could be better if had more places to train and buy capsules or stuffs.

I love kid goku and piccolo daimao.