Magical Being Boo - Necessary or Not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Magical Being Boo - Necessary or Not?

Post by Ashy-kun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 am

I hope I've got the right sub-forum for this.

I was pondering this, as I set about some daily chores. Out of all the sagas, so to speak, of Dragonball Z, the Magical Being Boo episodes don't seem to register with me as much. Maybe it's because I haven't seen them as much as say the Freeza or Cell episodes, but something about them doesn't sit well with me.

I asked myself whether it was because I felt that the story had already peaked with Cell and Gohan's fight, or if it was because I felt that the Magical Being Boo was somewhat "cheap". After all, while Cell's ability to use other character's moves were more because it was ingrained into him, Boo seemed able to just because. He was a Magical Being, so he could just steal any move.

There are also the absorptions. Magical Being Boo absorbs people, to further steal their moves and make himself more powerful. Was there any need for this, when we had just Cell who absorbed human beings to make himself powerful enough (after regressing to a less powerful form) to complete his original task - The absorption of No. 17 and No. 18?

I put this here in the general discussion, so I can get feedback from other fans. I personally have no real connection with the Magical Being Boo era, but I have a feeling that it's going to be somewhat more liked here. I'd just like to know why, out of curiosity. There are probably bits that people like, that I'm not picking up on.

To me, it felt like an added on idea, for the sake of the series being continued, with an over-powered villain, who basically had all the cheat codes on. But I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer points of the era. Is Boo that great a villain? I ask more specifically in reference to Magical Being Boo himself, as he seems to be the one I take most issue with. Things with the introduction of Goten and Trunks are slightly different. It's more I want to know what is so great about Boo, if anything.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Magical Being Boo - Necessary or Not?

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 am

If you feel that Gohan vs Cell was truly a more fitting ending for the series than the Buu arc, then you hate silliness and deny yourself what the very core of Dragon Ball is. I pity that you can feel no joy.

Why is the Buu arc necessary? Because it's hilarious. And I guess the characters being recruited by the highest pantheon of gods to defeat an ancient demon designed to kill them and destroy existence is kind of epic, if that floats your boat. But whatever.
But I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer points of the era. Is Boo that great a villain?
He's, in your own words, "an over-powered version who had all the cheat codes on." Oh, but weren't they all? Buu has the benefit of being all that while not being played seriously at all. Good stuff. The Freeza arc earned the right to be dire. Everything else works better with its tongue firmly in its cheek.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:53 am

Cipher wrote:If you feel that Gohan vs Cell was truly a more fitting ending for the series than the Buu arc, then you hate silliness and deny yourself what the very core of Dragon Ball is. I pity that you can feel no joy.
Fuck sillyness. The followup to the obliteration of humanity should not be "A DURR HURR HURR FLYING WOMBET KICK".

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:56 am

Rocketman wrote:Fuck sillyness. The followup to the obliteration of humanity should not be "A DURR HURR HURR FLYING WOMBET KICK".
Gotenks makes me laugh. I don't care if his mom just died.

Bottom line, you're going to either love or hate the return to batshit insanity that is the Buu arc. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between. I suppose it depends on what you're looking to get out of the series.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The Buu sagas genius is in its Toriyama brand absurdity and sheer WTFuckery.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 am

This exact topic gets brought up a lot. It seems to be one of the many splits in the fanbase, unfounded, but there nonetheless. I'll say the same thing I say every time... Actually I'll quote myself.
On the whole, the Buu saga had the perfect balance of humor and action. There was no more gung-ho seriousness and the show was all the better for it. The anime really hit its stride in terms of reasonable filler; I don't remember very many boring moments or dreaded cut-aways in the Buu saga, where as Namek and Cell games was riddled with them. There were tons of cool moves and transformations introduced (Fusion, Super Saiyan 3, Super Ghost Kamakaze, Beam Sword). The SciFi stuff is now mostly absent in favor of magic, which is where the series began. All the loose ends in terms of Vegeta and Goku's rivalry are neatly tied up and set aside. It was the best way to wrap it all up.

And Buu was the best villain because he was a legitimate threat. Freeza was small potatoes and Cell had his own obligations before he started being threatening. Majin Buu is more than just a monster, words can not describe what he is. He has no thoughts, no honor, no needs or wants, nothing but the burning desire for the destruction of everything. Also he was PINK and loves candy! It's a perfect unsettling juxtaposition to accentuate his chaotic nature and over-all absurdity. Even still, he posed a threat to all of existence; Heaven, Hell, Living Rhelm the Kaioshin Rhelm... The God of all creation was freaking out over Buu. How epic is that? Pretty epic.
The Buu saga was certainly different, but not unprecedented. It was one last ride, and man it was fun. I can't imagine a better way to end the show.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:22 am

This isn't exactly on-topic, but I don't understand how a dedicated fan of DB could think that Gohan vs. Cell was a more suitable end than a Super Spirit Bomb, fueled by the citizens of Earth. Even if you didn't like the entire Buu arc, the culmination of the Android arc in general was bottom-of-the-barrel for this series. There really was nothing admirable about Gohan, or anything redeeming about Cell.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 am

Savage68 wrote:This isn't exactly on-topic, but I don't understand how a dedicated fan of DB could think that Gohan vs. Cell was a more suitable end than a Super Spirit Bomb, fueled by the citizens of Earth. Even if you didn't like the entire Buu arc, the culmination of the Android arc in general was bottom-of-the-barrel for this series. There really was nothing admirable about Gohan, or anything redeeming about Cell.
Agreed. Plus, the main character would be dead. That's really my main reason for not liking the Cell arc as an ending point.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:29 am

I think how you respond to the Boo arc is generally based on your feelings toward the Cell arc. I found the Cell arc took itself far too seriously and was generally dull, so I thought the self-parody that was the Boo arc was a great antidote to this.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:43 am

Buu's mimicking techniques he sees does annoy me... it's not only cheap, but completely unnecessary. Maybe it's the fact that it's unnecessary that means something...?

When it comes down to it, the Buu Saga seems to be using a villain that is defined rather differently from those that came before, thus putting the characters to the test not as fighters so much as people--I mean, Fat Buu was subdued by Mr. Satan, while despite his ridiculous power, Gotenks only managed to make things worse. Similarly, all attempts to fight Kid Buu directly proved pointless, while convincing humanity to contribute was a pivotal part in scoring the victory.

The more power the uberpowerfuls put against Buu, the more Buu literally transformed from a kid hopping through a forest with some ants in the grass to a force of evil. All of that was undone when Vegeta and Goku opted out of killing Buu in favor of trying to rescue those inside, though there were still dire consequences.

Eh, I don't think I'd call it necessary, but it does accomplish something. And I like Goten. :P
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:30 am

I don't get where people get the idea from that the Buu Arc is all through goofy and pointless.
Instances where it's goofy: Goten, Trunks, Gotenks and Mr. Satan.
Otherwise it's not that goofy, not more than other arcs.
I mean, the Freeza arc had a whole team of goofballs, Ginyu Tokusentai. And even the Goku vs. Freeza fight was funny at times, when both Goku and Freeza boasted over which of them who would defeat the other one.

I for one think that the perfect end would be the death of Goku at the Freeza arc, or the end of the Cell Arc.
But the Buu arc came as a relief from all the darkness that soared though the other arcs (which doesn't mean that the other arcs didn't have darkness, even the Buu arc).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:15 am

To be fair, Buu isn't the only character to copy techniques. Goku learned the Kamehameha after seeing it only once, as well as borrowing Taiyo-ken and Kienzan a few times. Tenshinhan used the Kamehameha himself in the 22nd tournament just to prove how simple a technique it was. Buu using it isn't much of a shock at all, and copying Kaioshin's "kiai from the eyes" thing doesn't seem like a big deal either. By far the most complicated technique he learned (without absorption) was the Kaikai teleport.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:40 am

Buu is my favourite saga. It starts off with a huge mystery that reveals more about the db universe, then grows into a massive battle which furthers the growth of the characters and the powers, as well as introducing crazy new techniques like fusion. The epic feel of taking on the ultimate pure evil demon who even the gods feared in a battle that shakes the earth and heavens. The fact that in the previous sagas, the new powerup has saved the day. Not the case here. SSJ3 fails. Vegetto kinda fails. Gohan fails. I love Buu as a villain because all his forms are like different people. Buuhan and Buutenks are probably smarter than Cell, Kid Buu is more batshit insane than Broly, Fat Buu is unlike any villain we've seen before. Almost everyone is wiped off the face of the planet so we are able to focus on the war between the Saiyans and Buu.

In terms of character development, Gohan and Vegeta change the most. Gohan becomes a confident responsible independent man, the strongest individual fighter in the universe, as he was always destined to be. Vegeta is a full blown ally and hero and the main reason why they were able to beat Kid Buu. Goku becomes less pure and more of an ass, which makes him more real imo instead of a perfect little goody two shoes.

I also love that it's not "doom and gloom" all the time. I don't understand how it could end at Frieza and still be good. Everyone is dead! What a downer.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:55 am

In a way, it kind of is the perfect ending. By that point Toriyama seemed to have two types of fans (the gag-silly martial arts lovers and the Z centric-fight lovers) so to please them both, he created the Majin Boo saga; the perfect blend of comedy and action (something like that.)
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:16 pm

The Buu arc was complete overkill and you could tell Toriyama's heart wasn't in it. The Cell saga was the perfect ending and tied up a ton of loose ends. But then the Buu saga comes in and shits all over the concept of a Super Saiyan and actually having to work hard towards it, screws Gohan over, and has every character developing crippling brain injuries.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:23 pm

The only problem I have with the Buu arc/saga/era is that Toriyama's artwork was at it's most simplistic, IMO.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:45 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:The Buu arc was complete overkill and you could tell Toriyama's heart wasn't in it. The Cell saga was the perfect ending and tied up a ton of loose ends. But then the Buu saga comes in and shits all over the concept of a Super Saiyan and actually having to work hard towards it, screws Gohan over, and has every character developing crippling brain injuries.
I'd argue that Toriyama put more "heart" into the Buu saga than Cell saga. At least he did what he wanted by then. The Cell saga is the result his editor disapproving of everything he turned in. The entire series was reduced to a giant pissing contest without any humor or mystery. And the Cell saga didn't tie any loose ends. Had the series ended at the Cell saga you wouldn't get to see what became of baby Trunks, Goku is dead and his rivalry with Vegeta never gets finished, Dende is still a little baby with the responsibilities of a God, and the characters who devoted their life to training have absolutely nothing to work for. Everybody and their dog transformed to a super saiyan, but that's part of the self-parody, the story was finally returning to its roots and not taking itself so damn serious.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:05 pm

I think Toriyama should have made baby Goku's space pod crash on earth, explode, kill him instantly, and ended the series there.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Dragonball's roots were stupid shit jokes. The series was lucky to move beyond that, which makes the Boo arc a degradation, not something to be celebrated.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Rocketman wrote:Dragonball's roots were stupid shit jokes. The series was lucky to move beyond that, which makes the Boo arc a degradation, not something to be celebrated.
Says you. Seriously the "DBZ is the be all, end all of the series and DB was just shit jokes!" really needs to stop. I'd take a noble warrior like Yamucha or Kuririn over a all talk-pansy like Cell saga Vegeta any day.
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.