Opinion on the DBZ Movies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Opinion on the DBZ Movies

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:08 am

So, what's your opinion on the DBZ movies?

Personally, all inconsistencies etc. aside, I think they're a good addition to the series. They're fairly enjoyable to watch, with some interesting villains, such as Garlic Jr. and Tullece, and, unlike the main series, it's mainly action throughout. Something else I want to ask...do you really think that, if the creators tried to make movies fit into the canon timeline, it would make them better? I just think it's a movie that is to be watched and enjoyed without trying to think too hard about whether or not it fits canonically, and trying to fit them into the timeline might make it worse (since movies like Lord Slug and Return of Cooler don't fit, yet were decent nonetheless).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Opinion on the DBZ Movies

Post by Rory » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:37 pm

I watch mainly for the animation. Some of them have fantastic choreography too, check Goku dodging swords in movie 1 too see what I'm on about.
It's a short burst of dumb Dragon Ball fun, eye candy really.
By no means is it bad that they exist, I'm very appreciative that they're there for me to watch. :)

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

I like them, just for the fact that they go out of the way out of normal cannon. My personal fav. movies are 1, 7, 9 and 12. They are to me the best out of the 13 because of the story. With each movie, I like to think of it as most do, a what-if situation, and also an alternate universe like DBM. So say in Movie 5, Goku defeated Freeza, managed to come home in time, and didn't learn Shunkaido. Once that movie is over, a different way of things will happen within that (and leads to Movie 6 since they involve the same villain). As with the Broly movies, they are different Universes, but some things happened that changed history, to an extent.

So yeah, that's me. :)
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:54 pm

As long as you can do enough hand waving to ignore inconsistencies, they can be pretty fun. The best part is that they're like little convenient bit sized amounts of the show.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:24 pm

I feel like they are all worth seeing once but I feel after the first three movies they just get worse and worse for one reason or another. Or maybe it's just the fight scenes that make the movies after Tree of Might lame to me. I mean going from the awesome fights in movie 2 to the dull "rapid fist exchange" or "ki blasts spam" shit in the other movies is a big downgrade to me....
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 pm

My favorite movies are 1-5, in my opinion the rest were ok but not that good, but still fun to watch. What I like about the movies is that they get right to the point, no filler.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:31 pm

I find them all to be kind of trash with similar plots. They're also very unfriendly to viewers who've never watched Dragon Ball Z before.

But then again, I'm more into the days when Dragon Ball was a comedic adventure series, so since the movies simply highlight action, I might not be the best of people to criticize them.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I love them. They are beautifully animated, well acted (even the dub in some movies too) and have excellent scores. They are really good when you want a small burst of DBZ awesome-ness. The inconsistencies are a small issue for me, as I tend to turn off my fanboy brain and ignore them.

My main issue with them is their length. They are really short compared to other Anime movies, which takes away a bit from my enjoyment of them. But, apart from that, I couldn't imagine the series without them.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 am

From watching all them, I don't find it to be a necessary inclusion for a Dragonball fan; it won't really make a difference whether you watch any or not.

There were some movies I felt I could've enjoyed watching in the theater, and others which I saw as just milking the series, and forgettable. I don't think it really would've changed much if they tried fitting it into the canon timeline, since it all comes down to how these ideas are applied... Cooler for instance, was a fairly intriguing concept (being Frieza's brother), yet those two movies he was in had to have been the worst out of all of them for me.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:16 am

I love most of them, mainly History of Trunks, World's Strongest, Bio Broly, Cooler's Revenge and Plan to Destroy the Saiyans. The first three are more martial arts based but the later fights and story are great too. A spark in an otherwise bad movie imo was Goku vs Janemba. Excellent fight. The anime fights drag on a little too long but the movies have the best pace (except for the first and second Broly movies..godawful..)
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:55 am

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:I love most of them, mainly History of Trunks
That ain't a movie, kid. :)

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:17 am

IMO movie 12 is kinda disappointing because we wait almost the entire movie for only to see Gogeta for less than minute!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 am

They are not great movies, but they are fun to watch. I enjoy pretty much all of them expect for Movie 2, 4, 7, and 11.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Basically is. I consider the specials movies. Sue me.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 am

My only experience with them so far is a joke present my sister got me for Christmas 2006 (the Big Green version of The World's Strongest Man or whatever the real title is). The real present, which she revealed about 10 minutes later, was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Three and a half years later I'm finding it nearly impossible to enjoy the game, while the movie continues to amuse me in a Mystery Science Theater kind of way. There's a lesson in this somewhere.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 am

Hey everyone, hope you're doing well!

I agree with a lot of what you said Piccolo Daimao. I love the movies, I've watched them quite a few times back to back. I like that there is a lot of work and focus put into each one, especially in voice over and animation. I also like that they are not in the show's continuity, but rather based on events that have happened in the manga/show, and then take the characters from a particular saga and give them a new villain and situation. Some stories are certainly more gratifying than others, but I enjoy those too because they are so different from the show as far as pacing goes. It's a blast to me to watch the cast go in and take own an enemy within an hour. In my opinion, characters like Tullece, Broly, Cooler and the movie 7 androids add something valuable to existing threads. The more original characters like Bojack, Garlic Jr., and Tapion I also think add something special to Dragon Ball mythos.
Sometimes with the show, the elements that I love are far between. With the films, it's all packed in their fast. I also like that in some movies they take advantage of characters and attacks that that aren't taken advantage of enough in the show. I guess 3 and 9 do that the most to me.
Some people don't like Dragon Ball movie 3 because they thought it was a re-hash of the same story. I loved it, though, because it retold the same story with different twists and featured different versions of certain characters. Mythical Adventure has the same appeal to me that the Marvel Ultimate universe has. In a lot of ways, the movies are my favorite part of DB.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:07 am

Fin wrote:There's a lesson in this somewhere.
Yeah, you've got poor taste. :)

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:11 am

Rory wrote:
Fin wrote:There's a lesson in this somewhere.
Yeah, you've got poor taste. :)
Or don't buy me presents. :P