DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai)

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Puto wrote:Saiyan Blood actually *is* a Yamamoto song, and isn't in the new soundtrack.

The other inserts are fine though.

Hmmmmm.........theory time.

I'm wondering if this is why FUNimation suddenly stopped dubbing the insert songs after "Over the Star?" Like they wanted to play it safe by not involving themselves in the music until the smoke cleared. Of course, that's probably not true, but I've always wondered why FUNi stopped dubbing the insert songs, especially since they did a good job with "Over the Star." That, and I've always found listening to Japanese insert songs during English dubs to be very distracting. It takes me out of the moment.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, they also dubbed the new Ginyu Force theme into English (the unofficial name of which is "Ginyu Force Rules"). They stopped after that, though.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:25 am

Puto wrote:Saiyan Blood actually *is* a Yamamoto song, and isn't in the new soundtrack.

The other inserts are fine though.
News Of The Cell Game was also composed by Yamamoto.

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Just stumbled across this thread on Reddit that a 4Kids employee started:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/i ... a/t3_ikyum
Anyways, one of the users decided to ask him about Blue Popo and whether or not it was demanded by the network or not. His answer is as follows:
I would first like to address the blue Mr. Popo in Dragonball Z Kai first. Yes, we changed him blue. We didn't want to, and our graphics department has enough work to do, but we did it. We did so because CW's BS&P department forced us to do so. They are the ones who claimed that it was racist and were unwilling to air it unedited despite the fact that Nicktoons has no issue with him (on top of the fact that he was also shown in all of his black glory on the WB back in the 90s).
So how about that? 4Kids didn't want to make Mr. Popo blue, but CW demanded it to be done! Pretty interesting.
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Arique wrote: So how about that? 4Kids didn't want to make Mr. Popo blue, but CW demanded it to be done! Pretty interesting.
Didn't someone from Toonzai, on Facebook, try to justify it? :?

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:50 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Arique wrote: So how about that? 4Kids didn't want to make Mr. Popo blue, but CW demanded it to be done! Pretty interesting.
Didn't someone from Toonzai, on Facebook, try to justify it? :?
They did, but I think they were saying it in a jokingly matter. Here, it's just a 4Kids employee flat-out saying that they were demanded to make Popo blue by the CW, even though 4Kids did not want to change the character at all.
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Arique wrote: They did, but I think they were saying it in a jokingly matter. Here, it's just a 4Kids employee flat-out saying that they were demanded to make Popo blue by the CW, even though 4Kids did not want to change the character at all.
That theory someone made makes sense. 4-kids got the airing rights to the show, thinking they wouldn't have to actually do anything since Nicktoons already censored it for them. They underestimated CW's standards.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Well, the employee bacondevil implies that there were additional edits that 4Kids wished for but that a lot of them are in fact due to BS&P. The comment about the graphics department having enough already to do seems to infer that. Personally, I always like hearing from employees at a lower level from companies normally despised like 4Kids; it gives them a human element. Also, they all pretty much hated Al Khan so +1.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm

When do new episodes start airing??

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 am

I don't know. It seems as though they are drifting through the Freeza arc again.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:39 am

Zarathustra wrote:When do new episodes start airing??
I am guessing they will begin airing new episodes sometime around the beginning of September. If you remember last year around this time was when Dragon Ball Kai began airing on Toonzai (I think it was around the end of August, and that was only the preview of Kai) and the official launch was sometime around September. That is also around the time when most shows premiere too.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Vegeta punching Goku somehow slipped into the intro this morning.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 pm

4Kids employee wrote:(on top of the fact that he was also shown in all of his black glory on the WB back in the 90s).
:lol:
gmster wrote:Vegeta punching Goku somehow slipped into the intro this morning.
Huh, maybe the CW's lessened up on it's edits?
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm

The Vegeta punch only showed up during the second episode that aired this morning NOT the first episode. I think it was just a mistake.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Did the Dragon ever end up back in the opening or not? I remember reading that it was a temporary change...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 am

From what I have seen the Dragon has never returned since it disappeared.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 pm

I happened to tune in today. 51 & 52 repeated, and at the end of 52 there was a commercial that said thet they were restarting at episodes 1 & 2 next week.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Because 4kids is waiting on the Kikuchi versions of 53-65. If not that, they can't afford any more episodes.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Is 4kids the one editing in the Z score? I don't see why FUNimation would have to wait for 4kids to start airing new episodes to give Nicktoons the Z score to those episodes.
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Is 4kids the one editing in the Z score? I don't see why FUNimation would have to wait for 4kids to start airing new episodes to give Nicktoons the Z score to those episodes.
No. 4kids is waiting on FUNimation.

And no, 4kids can't touch DBZ. It's Funi and Toei changing the music. That's why 4kids has to wait.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:08 pm

gmster wrote:
No. 4kids is waiting on FUNimation.

And no, 4kids can't touch DBZ. It's Funi and Toei changing the music. That's why 4kids has to wait.
I understand. I meant to post this in the Nicktoons thread.
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece