Is Z as strong as Son Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Patrickon

Is Z as strong as Son Goku?

Post by Patrickon » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:37 pm

I haven't seen Neko Majin Z 5 yet, but really, do u think Z is that strong. I know his powerlevel is close to that of Mr. Buu's. How bout Kuriza and Onio? Do u think they are quite strong?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Is Z as strong as Son Goku?

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:49 pm

Patrickon wrote:Do u think
I do believe you're missing two very important letters, those being "Y" and "O"... they'd help a lot.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:02 pm

Goku from which part of the series? If you mean at the end of GT, then Z is probably weaker because, let's face it, no one is as strong as Goku by the end of GT. Goku was just ungodly by then.

Patrickon

Post by Patrickon » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm

I don't count DBGT as dragonball, well at least not official dragonball just because of that fact that Toriyama didn't create it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:40 pm

Patrickon wrote:I don't count DBGT as dragonball, well at least not official dragonball just because of that fact that Toriyama didn't create it.
I hate to sound like this...

But that's just SOOOOOOOOOOOO the most generic (and incredibly lame) fanboy comment that anyone could make. You've posted some pretty lame threads, you're not typing all that well...

Quite frankly, you're walking a rather thin line on this forum. I'd really suggest re-reading the forum rules before you find yourself getting banned.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:28 pm

So Mr. EX counts GT as part of the series?!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:34 pm

What do you mean? It's licensed, it exists, it's over and done with. It's "there". I'm not one of those dolts who runs around going, "OMG, like, you can't say that b-cuz its GT and Akira T. dont write it so datz dum!!!!!!!!"

I'm also not one of those people who argues those retardedly asinine debates about strengths with the lame-ass mathematical equations and therefore has to even take it into consideration... so...

Do with that as you will. *shrugs*

You don't get much more *slaps forehead and sighs* than, "(insert comment here) because Toriyama didn't write GT!"

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:45 pm

Eh... GT is filled with plotholes and manages to contradict itself at every turn. There's no logic in it anywhere. Sure, it's part of the series, but.... Well, I can understand if someone wants to completely leave it out of consideration when discussing something like this about the series. It's for the better, mainly because it would just needlessly complicate things bringing GT into it.

Of course, ''Because Toriyama didn't make it'' is a pretty silly reason.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:47 pm

Well, yeah, exactly.

I'm not going to bring up GT if I'm debating some sort of logic that's expressed within the manga series. At the same time, I'm not going to run around with my hands over my ears pretending GT was never made.

Not that Akira Toriyama didn't contradict himself over and over and over throughout the decade, himself. Let's just be totally honest about that.

There comes a point where you just toss the papers up in the air and go, "Well, it's DBZ."

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"Well, it's DBZ."
So now we're alienating "regular" Dragonball? :wink:

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:52 pm

That's the thing, though, it ISN'T like DBZ. It's like someone took DBZ and put it in the blender.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:26 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:It's like someone took DBZ and put it in the blender.
Yes.

"Someone" being Toei Animation with legal permission to do so. It doesn't matter if you don't like it... it exists. That's my logic ^_~.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:18 am

Aye, no one forces you to watch GT. XD

And regarding to the original question.... well, strong is a relative term. >.> Quite literally it would mean who can lift the most weight or who can generate the most Newtons in a punch.

But DB has shown that being smart can also be a great asset in a fight. ^.^

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:22 pm

GT is certainly official Dragonball, with or without Toriyama..anything produced by Toei is. However, whether or not it's 'canon' is another story. For most people I think that would be just what was in the original manga. Maybe this is what Patrickon meant?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:It's like someone took DBZ and put it in the blender.
Yes.

"Someone" being Toei Animation with legal permission to do so. It doesn't matter if you don't like it... it exists. That's my logic ^_~.
So I have to consider The Passion of the Christ a part of the bible?!

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Let's think about what you're saying here, Chibi Mystic Gohan. You're saying you won't consider GT part of the Dragon Ball series because it was a bad show, though created (With permission) by Toei. Right? Right. So... You don't consider the Dragon Ball anime, the Dragon Ball Z anime, any of the movies, merchandise, Daizenshuu and everything else not strictly drawn by Toriyama in his home with his pen to be stupid ripoffs that should have died at birth?

That might have been slightly exaggerated, but I think you got the point. All of those were created by other companies with legal permission. So was GT.

Summarized: GT is a continuation of the Dragon Ball series. It's a legal one. Therefore, it's part of the series. The End.

Oh, and that Bible comparison was so farfetched I thought it best not to comment on it further.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:28 pm

Eh...I don't know/don't care about whether GT is part of the so called "real" story line, or whether it makes sense. To me, it's all up to the reader to decide.
And about the question...I'd say Z is probably as strong as Son Goku in late DB and early DBZ.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:38 pm

The argument that GT isn't part of the series because it wasn't made by Toriyama is valid.
At least the DB/DBZ anime was somewhat following the storyline that Toriyama made.
I don't consider filler part of DB either. Remember how Pikkon knocked out Super Perfect Cell? Remember how Olibu and Pikkon fought evenly? Remember how Yamcha knocked Olibu around? Yamcha>Olibu=Pikkon>SP Cell?!?!?!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:49 pm

Dai wrote:Let's think about what you're saying here, Chibi Mystic Gohan. You're saying you won't consider GT part of the Dragon Ball series because it was a bad show, though created (With permission) by Toei. Right? Right. So... You don't consider the Dragon Ball anime, the Dragon Ball Z anime, any of the movies, merchandise, Daizenshuu and everything else not strictly drawn by Toriyama in his home with his pen to be stupid ripoffs that should have died at birth?

That might have been slightly exaggerated, but I think you got the point. All of those were created by other companies with legal permission. So was GT.

Summarized: GT is a continuation of the Dragon Ball series. It's a legal one. Therefore, it's part of the series. The End.

Oh, and that Bible comparison was so farfetched I thought it best not to comment on it further.
Ok there: A person can pick and choose what they like. I don't consider any of the anime canon. Yet I make an exception for the Bardock special because Toriyama included it into the manga because of how good it was. And if that doesn't piss you off, wait until I tell you that I watch the DBZ movies anyway. Now isn't that just fucked up reasoning? The answer: YES. But as a fan, *I* am the true definitive answer as to what I want to enjoy. Not TOEI, not Shonen Jump, not even the mangaka himself.

As for the Passion joke, clearly it was in relation to what was said earlier in the thread and in regards to what the Pope said about the movie. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:59 pm

It's not about enjoyment. It's about denying something's even part of the series. Which is just plain silly. Sure, you might not like DBZ Movie 1, but that does that mean it's ''not there'' or something? No. I don't like GT, but that doesn't mean it's not part of the series. You gotta admit, therefore, by your own reasoning, saying ''Toriyama didn't make it, so it's not part of the series'' is just a stupid thing to say.

That's what I was commenting on. So, uh... Yeah. Is there even a point to this topic anymore?