Japanese episodes ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Master_Roshi

Japanese episodes ?

Post by Master_Roshi » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:22 pm

I haven't bought or watched any of the dvds produced by Funimation. Although I plan on buying some. I know that some of those dvds come with 2 versions (English & Japanese).

Now, What's the difference between the original/raw Japanese episodes and the Japanese verison included on the Funimation dvds ?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:04 pm

Absolutely nothing.

In certain cases, the wrong opening animation is used, but that was only on early discs (IE - "Ginyu" era and such). There are no next-episode preveiws, but you can blame Toei for that, not FUNimation. Essentially, you're getting the show in Japanese on DVD. Watch it with subtitles, watch it without subtitles... whatever. S'all good ^^.

Be sure to read over our "DVD Guide" if you need anything else clafified on the discs. I think it covers it all pretty well :D.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:28 pm

The only other thing that might bother you, is that the openings and endings are both creditless (with regards to the Japanese version).

Of course, if you can't read Japanese, that's not hugely important anyway.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:30 pm

I'll tell you one more thing though that Funimation didn't do is translate those credits, especially the voice actors! It would have been nice to see people like Nozawa, Tanaka, Furukawa get some credit. :evil:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:45 pm

But, to be fair to them, that's probably because they don't HAVE the credits. I'd bet money that TOEI has only given them creditless openings and endings.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:41 am

No I've said this before they have them. On the Trunks and Ginyu DVDs, the kanji writing is left in at the end, so they have them in some form. While they couldn't list the the guest voices, they could at least put up the regulars of the cast and crew. :(

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:06 am

Did we ever confirm if those were the correct credits for those episodes, and not, say, from movie 1?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:54 am

Oh ya, I think we did find out they were. Still Funi could have,...oh well, I got fed up with ranting and being bitter about Funimation 2 years ago. I'm not going to start all over again! It ain't worth it folks! Sooo, never mind. 8)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:57 am

:)

Not to defend them, but if they can't get the ending previews and the alternative openings/endings to DB, then I can see them having trouble getting the credits.

Of course, they could always try and find the credit information out some other way. But that is going to be a fair bit of work (making sure they don't miscredit someone) for very little payback.

There's no reason for not translating the movie credits though.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:17 am

Not that I don't agitated with Funimation at times, but I think this credit thing really is looking for a reason to hate them. I'm sure some of you guys can read the names, and in principle it is the right thing to do, but to harp on them for such a trivial matter to me is...mean. heh.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:26 am

To tell you the truth, the reason I brought it up in the first place wasn't because I wanted them translated for extremely anal, persnickety reasons. It's because I feel that by not translating and putting up the credits, it's not acknowledging half the people that worked on the series. I just think it's disrespectful and insulting. After all, if Toei hadn't animated the series in the first place, Funimation probably wouldn't even be around right now. I find with just their credits there, it's like they're acting as if they created it or something. I know that's not what they're saying, but still. That's the only reason I brought it up. So I'm not being a fussy, mean fan in my opinion. I just think it's careless and lazy. Of course, when it comes to DB, "careless and lazy" is pratically Funi's motto.