Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 13; Still Unreleased

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:32 pm

If the Bang Zoom Super dub was allowed to be a thing back in 2016 then I doubt Toei would be that much against Ocean Kai airing.

Also didn't Ken Morrisson mention a couple of years back that he had an offer to air it, but held off for a better opportunity? I'm sure someone here mentioned that.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:46 pm

I wouldn't draw conclusions from Chinook/Blue Water's response. They're likely just following Ocean's protocol. I don't know why they would list it on their website but all companies involved have seemed pretty disorganized or nonexistent when it comes to their web presence so who knows what happened there. Perhaps it's just the result of being over-eager to list a project 10+ years ago and then forgetting about it or not updating. Karl Willems wasn't even aware it hadn't aired, he just assumed it did.

As for Toei, I never got the impression they were against it being licensed but that Toei representative wasn't exactly supportive of it either. The brief glimpse we got of the conversation seemed like they were trying to advise against it due to concerns about video resolution and episode count. I would guess that the Ocean dub was obligated to be shared with Toei at one time just like it was with Funimation (which explains how both got ahold of it) but the actual pitching and sale to broadcasters was probably in the hands of another company. I can't imagine it's still being pitched now but who knows? Canada still hasn't aired any Dragon Ball Kai to my knowledge so it might have a chance with being (partial) Canadian content. It's doubtful at this rate though and I can't see Toei being the ones to do it themselves as they've long since moved on from Kai.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:21 pmI also don't think names would be an issue. TOEI had no problem with "Kai-O-Ken" being used in the Pioneer dubs instead of "Kay-O-Ken" or the brief period Funimation used Makankōsappō in their Kai dub (yes you could argue TOEI may have requested Funimation to change it but that doesn't explain why they didn't recommend they redub all uses of the Japanese terms in the early episodes).

I also don't think there will be that many different pronunciations other than Naw-Mek and GoKU. It will most likely be a compromise between what the fans want to hear and something the purists will accept. Karl Willems did say, after all he pushed for terms fans would generally be familiar with. I'd be very surprised if we hear Sai-Yan instead of Say-Yan. Maybe Tenshinhan will be used but I doubt it, as I believe Brendan Hunter said Tien at conventions. I'm also pretty sure we won't hear Kuririn, it would be too jarring for most fans and run the risk of coming across pretentious (even if that wasn't the intention).
I don't think the Pioneer dubs were being scrutinized by Toei, not that they would have enforced Ocean to use Barry Watson's incorrect pronunciation anyway. That was a different era where Toei had no Europe or America division and were only operating from Japan. Companies were free to do a lot of things back then (including Funimation), hence the Big Green dub for example.

The Kai pronunciations could indicate Japanese influence but honestly, Ocean's translation team has always been on point when left to their own devices and I wouldn't be surprised if those decisions were all internal. In the case of Goku being pronounced the way it is, that's not a new thing either. The dubs that weren't produced by Barry Watson had a few actors who pronounced it that way long before Kai, though it wasn't always consistent due to the chaotic nature of the Candian broadcast dubs. The Bang Zoom dub had their own name and pronunciation changes but they differed from what we know of the Ocean Kai dub so there doesn't appear to be any unifying Toei influence on English dubs. Though you could speculate that SEA and North American regions have different standards from Toei but that's a stretch.

Saiyan most definitely wasn't spoken correctly in Kai's dub if Karl Willems' reaction was any indication, he was adamant that Funimation's pronunciation was too iconic to change. I wouldn't have minded hearing a different take but it is what it is.

Kuririn would never be used in an English dub as it's only fit for subtitles.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:17 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:32 pmAlso didn't Ken Morrisson mention a couple of years back that he had an offer to air it, but held off for a better opportunity? I'm sure someone here mentioned that.
As far as I know, having talked to a source from Toon-A-Vision, they looked into licensing Kai from Ocean, Ken basically said they had bigger priorities at that time, but after speaking to me he emailed Ken again and they said Toon-A-Vision would be updated after TOEI's head office made the final decision. I haven't heard from this individual again, despite trying so all we can do is hope he signed an NDA and that Kai will air on Toon-A-Vision at some point or they gave up because TOEI was asking too much for the license, I really hope the latter's not the case.

Anyway, there's a new linear channel for kids launching
Moochi on freeview in the UK called Moochi. Here's the link, thanks to Cure Dragon 255 for sharing with me.

https://kidscreen.com/2023/11/23/new-ki ... -in-the-uk

I can't find any social media or emails for contacting them but if anyone finds any it wouldn't hurt to suggest they air Ocean Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:03 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:17 am As far as I know, having talked to a source from Toon-A-Vision, they looked into licensing Kai from Ocean, Ken basically said they had bigger priorities at that time, but after speaking to me he emailed Ken again and they said Toon-A-Vision would be updated after TOEI's head office made the final decision. I haven't heard from this individual again, despite trying so all we can do is hope he signed an NDA and that Kai will air on Toon-A-Vision at some point or they gave up because TOEI was asking too much for the license, I really hope the latter's not the case.
Ah so that was it. I knew someone had mentioned that but couldn't remember all the details. It's possible it might still be going ahead.

I remember when it was first mentioned Kix were looking into Kai, and there being a huge period of time were we heard nothing, but it did eventually air.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 pm

Anime Time Machine is starting up again. Nothing new from this morning's stream; other than knowing Chantal Strand had never recorded any Dragon Ball stuff. I'm trying again to get ahold of Karl Willems for an interview.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:46 am

So apparently theres still those who doubt this dub exists.

Other than seeing the light of day, I don't know what more proof anyone needs. Voice actors from Vancouver, Calgary, Texas, Karl Willems, even higher-ups at Ocean like Diana Gage and TOEI's own Lisa Yamatoya have acknowledged it, and its been approved by the CRTC as Canadian content (which Funimation's dub certainly couldn't qualify as).

If anything it's painfully obvious Ocean Kai DOES EXIST. That's why it would be such a shame if it never leaves the hard drive its probably stored on, so I'll agree with that thread's OP about this dub being cursed because it most definitely is.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:29 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:46 am So apparently theres still those who doubt this dub exists.

Other than seeing the light of day, I don't know what more proof anyone needs. Voice actors from Vancouver, Calgary, Texas, Karl Willems, even higher-ups at Ocean like Diana Gage and TOEI's own Lisa Yamatoya have acknowledged it, and its been approved by the CRTC as Canadian content (which Funimation's dub certainly couldn't qualify as).

If anything it's painfully obvious Ocean Kai DOES EXIST. That's why it would be such a shame if it never leaves the hard drive its probably stored on, so I'll agree with that thread's OP about this dub being cursed because it most definitely is.
LMAO at that dude's reason for thinking the dub doesn't exist being fucking TVTropes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:38 pm

It is so weird seeing a post on Toon Zone/AnimeSuperhero linked here. It's so nostalgic, lol.

Anyway, it's likely that the dub exists, if only because goddamn, would it take a lot of people to lie about.

Also, I updated the thread title again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:21 pm

This thread is almost 15 years old and yet no Ocean Kai dub. I think All American Massacre has a better chance on being released than Ocean Kai at this rate :lol:
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:40 am

MistaL wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:29 pm LMAO at that dude's reason for thinking the dub doesn't exist being fucking TVTropes
Not only that, he debunks himself.

While it is not mentioned in Kai's Trivia tab like he says, it is mentioned that Ocean Kai is a thing in the general Dueling Dubs page since NOVEMBER 25th, 2020, which predates his thread on Toonzone for 3 YEARS.
Ocean recorded a dub of ''Dragon Ball Kai'' for an unknown producer, though it has yet to be broadcast anywhere. Kix UK looked to be picking it up, but certain industry insiders have suggested Funimation allegedly tried (and still are trying) to make sure it doesn't air. What aired on Kix was Funimation's dub. Thankfully, a company in Canada called Wow Unlimited, who are starting up a new TV channel, are picking it up. But, unfortunately, due to the difficulty in gathering funds for a new TV channel launch these days, it's unknown how long until they actually start up.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_his ... it27744382

Guess the guy wasn't aware of that his own "reliable" source would end up contradicting him.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:10 am

Tian wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:40 am
MistaL wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:29 pm LMAO at that dude's reason for thinking the dub doesn't exist being fucking TVTropes
Not only that, he debunks himself.

While it is not mentioned in Kai's Trivia tab like he says, it is mentioned that Ocean Kai is a thing in the general Dueling Dubs page since NOVEMBER 25th, 2020, which predates his thread on Toonzone for 3 YEARS.
Ocean recorded a dub of ''Dragon Ball Kai'' for an unknown producer, though it has yet to be broadcast anywhere. Kix UK looked to be picking it up, but certain industry insiders have suggested Funimation allegedly tried (and still are trying) to make sure it doesn't air. What aired on Kix was Funimation's dub. Thankfully, a company in Canada called Wow Unlimited, who are starting up a new TV channel, are picking it up. But, unfortunately, due to the difficulty in gathering funds for a new TV channel launch these days, it's unknown how long until they actually start up.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_his ... it27744382

Guess the guy wasn't aware of that his own "reliable" source would end up contradicting him.
Where did you get that Wow Unlimited will broadcast Kai?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:38 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:38 pm Anyway, it's likely that the dub exists, if only because goddamn, would it take a lot of people to lie about.
Not likely. It exists. Period. Without a shadow of a doubt. There's no chance in hell after all the people who have spoken about this dub that it could be a hoax. The idea it doesn't is pure fallacy.
Ocean recorded a dub of ''Dragon Ball Kai'' for an unknown producer, though it has yet to be broadcast anywhere.
Ocean produced this dub themselves. Diana Gage confirmed there was no third party.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:46 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:10 am Where did you get that Wow Unlimited will broadcast Kai?
It's an old edit that someone made in TV Tropes years ago.

I was just pointing out that the guy in that Toonzone forum was saying something as stupid as Ocean Kai being a urban legend because his own source already mentioned that Ocean Kai existed years before his thread.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:15 am

Next Anime Time Machine livestream featuring Saffron Henderson, Brian Dobson, Karl Wìllems and guest Brent Miller is this Sunday February 25th.

Also minor update, I asked Dave Pettitt if he had any roles in Kai, he said he didn't, so I guess Don Brown reprised all his roles.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nN3oAuL_EI

I managed to get Saffron for an interview and I'm working on getting Karl as well. Saffron confirmed once again that she's pretty sure she did come back to played Gohan for Kai. Towards the end of the interview, I had her perform a monologue from the Cell Games that no one had ever heard her perform before; hope you guys enjoy!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:45 am

Kirbopher wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nN3oAuL_EI

I managed to get Saffron for an interview and I'm working on getting Karl as well. Saffron confirmed once again that she's pretty sure she did come back to played Gohan for Kai. Towards the end of the interview, I had her perform a monologue from the Cell Games that no one had ever heard her perform before; hope you guys enjoy!
At 1 hour and around 7 minutes:
Wow. You'd be a great director! Your direction made her act so much better!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 pm

Great interview once again.

One thing that struck me was Saffron once again seemed to recall having a role in some redub when she said she was pretty sure they rerecorded the first 13 episodes. She said previously episode 1 was redone at Ocean, but we know the BLT dub was recorded at Dick & Rogers Studio so that would rule out there being an unreleased Zero dub of the episodes.

It may be a false memory as when asked about Kai, Saffron said she felt like they had recorded all that content before, but we know Jillian Michaels replaced her for the Cell Games so it could be a case she caught it all on TV but misremembers seeing it as recording that content for the first time. Saffron said she has a memory of turning Super Saiyan so either way it seems she did indeed return for Kai.

Oh, and Saffron remembered recording at Westwood when she returned to the series, so even if Westwood Media weren't the producer for the 2000-2002 Vancouver dub some of it may have still been recorded there. We know about 80% was at Airwaves, but maybe Westwood was one of the few other studios being used. Apparently Kirby Morrow listed Westwood on his resume, which may have had something to do with their association with the franchise. Shame we can no longer ask him.

For what it's worth Saffron did say she was not directed by Karl for the Westwood stuff, which makes sense as he said what he directed was most of the stuff dubbed at Ocean. I know Rob Bakewell was mentioned but I asked privately via email and he confirmed he didn't direct any Dragon Ball around this time, although I asked about the time period circa 2009/2010 and that rang a bell for him so he likely directed some of Kai, although Karl probably did most of it.

Also, just finished watching today's livestream. Brent Miller said he wishes he got a chance to do Dragon Ball so we can rule him out for Kai too.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/f65mjhUbeUA
Snippet for ya! (and yes, I've directed professionally before)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:33 am

Kirbopher wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 pm https://www.youtube.com/shorts/f65mjhUbeUA
Snippet for ya! (and yes, I've directed professionally before)
Wow. Saffron Henderson as older Gohan!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:27 pm

I'm in-touch with Karl, I'll hopefully be interviewing him this week.

ATM will also be doing a special livestream in celebration of Akira Toriyama with a special guest. https://www.instagram.com/anime.time.machine/