DB relationships

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DB relationships

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Turtle Marked Stone wrote:Yeah I was joking. I'm not literally trying to convince the internet to stop writing fanfics.

Coola Yagami wrote:Hmm it was actually rather well-written. Forgetting the fact that the heroes never do brutal sadistic beatdowns (well maybe Vegeta), and that rape was never a subject of the series (cept for those Red Ribbon guys after Bulma), and that the overall series was never that dark, you could feel the pain he was going through and the violent urge to extract that revenge in the most humilating and painful way towards 18 before putting her out of her misery and uh... wow... and this is the last time I bring this fanfic up again.. o.O
I-I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic with this whole "well written" thing. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are (then again, internet.)
No I meant it was well-written as in, subject-matter aside, it was written with proper grammar, pacing and comprehension level, and not the random rantings of some 12 year old that learned a new swear word. That's what made the fic so sick. That said, I pity anyone who read Agony in Pink. Even just skimming through it was powerful. >.<

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Well, okay I'm glad you've found something you can...enjoy I guess. Some people like Twilight too and it's not like I can stop people from enjoying whatever touches them. "Good writing" is subjective and as much as I have the urge to sit here and turn into a pretentious angry prick that tears apart some kids spergfest of a fanfic I'll resist in the interest of not starting some sort of issue with anyone. Everyone has to start somewhere and I just hope whoever this person is has the urge to improve and keep writing. Really, it's when people turn into B^Uckly that I start having an issue. They produce crap and refuse to evolve in any way shape or form. Then they go out of their way to avoid any criticism and end up looking like a huge cock.

As for actually producing content for the thread, I'm not a huge fan of "shipping". I guess Gohan and Lime would be kinda interesting to see.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:50 pm

LOL I never said I enjoyed it. There's a difference between good writing and good reading. I'm just saying it wasn't written like 'GGGRRRR J00 KILLED MAH FATHAAA, IMMA OMGWTFRAEP J00 NAO!!111"

Gohan and Lime sounds interesting. Or maybe Gohan and Iresa.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:'GGGRRRR J00 KILLED MAH FATHAAA, IMMA OMGWTFRAEP J00 NAO!!111"
That was hilarious, because I can actually see Trunks saying that.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Puto wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: What gender is Puar anyway? Some say male, some say female.
He's male. In the Manga, he used the personal pronoun "boku", which only males use.
Boku is gender-neutral. Typically it is used more by males than females (who tend to prefer atashi and watashi), but I have seen some rare occasions in anime where girls used boku.
Exactly. "Anime", not real life. In Japan, girls bordering on never use "boku". I've only ever seen males use "boku", so I think it's safe to assume that Puar is indeed male. As SG2 said, if Toriyama truly wanted to make Puar gender-neutral, he would have explicitly made him use "watashi".

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Exactly. "Anime", not real life. In Japan, girls bordering on never use "boku". I've only ever seen males use "boku", so I think it's safe to assume that Puar is indeed male. As SG2 said, if Toriyama truly wanted to make Puar gender-neutral, he would have explicitly made him use "watashi".
Remember seeing in a gn someone did ask on Puar's gender and Toriyama said he was male. Manga also called him "him" once or so, but for the most part didn't use anything gender specific with him. Funimation dub didn't either, though the profiles on the DB dvds did refer to him with male pronouns.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm like, secretly in love with the idea of love. I also happen to love Dragonball lol, so Dragonball relationships cross my mind and me make me warm and fuzzy on the inside. I'm not one of those creative types and write fanfics about it though. Actually, before this thread, I'd never read a fanfic in my life. Mobile Fanfiction.net on the PSP occupied quite a bit of my time lol.

But then there's the insane people who go and blow all kinds of shit out of proportion and make me cringe and facepalm etc. Canon as it may be, I can't possibly fathom certain things like Piccolo and Gohan. It just doesn't work that way, and taints awesome childhood nostalgia lol. Or something random like Chi-Chi and Vegeta... or ...Goku and Vegeta O_O. On the other hand, I can find two pairings believable that some people tend to stay away from. Those being Trunks and Goten (ok, maybe not one people stay away from, but certainly quite a few... mostly guys lol), and Trunks and Pan (If GT is involved in one's own canon). Yeah, those can be quite taboo (especially the second) but... I see it lol. Trunks can't be in two places though, so if I had to pick one, I'd keep Trunks and Pan, simply because I've gotten along with people who had the sort of age difference to their significant other.

I respect people's creativity, since I could never write a gigantic fanfic (or MANY gigantic fanfics), or draw up a decent fan-manga to save my life. But I think that some parts of our fandom are incredibly twisted and think of the strangest things. I don't think our sick fans are as bad as the Naruto fans can be (simply because that series has more female characters). That's not so much as to say as, I'd probably marry a crazy fangirl of our series if the opportunity ever presented itself. :lol:

Most of it is really really really overthinking the series though. Goku is not a deep character. And it bugs me how many people think he is lol.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:10 pm

While I know the story's not too deep or anything, I do admit I like seeing fanart of Goku and Chi Chi in close and romantic poses. But then I'm a sucker for romance. Will say I was surprised to learn there are DB yaoi fangirls, due to the lack of bishonen pretty boys.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Super Sonic wrote:While I know the story's not too deep or anything, I do admit I like seeing fanart of Goku and Chi Chi in close and romantic poses. But then I'm a sucker for romance.
Yeah, that's kinda what I mentioned with the warm and tingly thing lol. Stuff like that is cool. At least since it's nice to imagine that there was a reason for Goku to stick around other than food lol.
Super Sonic wrote: Will say I was surprised to learn there are DB yaoi fangirls, due to the lack of bishonen pretty boys.
Good point, but then... it's anime/manga. It's almost bound to happen. At the same time, things where Broly is subject to any of those situations isn't something very ...normal.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

DBZMan-18

Post by DBZMan-18 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 pm

I've read a few Gohan/18 (both versions) and Trunks/Pan and even a few Vegeta/18 stories if those count as strange

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:I'd keep Trunks and Pan, simply because I've gotten along with people who had the sort of age difference to their significant other.
Where she's ten and he's twenty-five?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Rocketman wrote:
nathantheguitarist wrote:I'd keep Trunks and Pan, simply because I've gotten along with people who had the sort of age difference to their significant other.
I think he means the age difference in general. But yeah, I'm pretty creeped about PanxTrunks.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Rocketman wrote:
It was more like 14-15 and 23-24 ish. I can't remember, and don't keep in touch with people lol.

Not as bad, and I'm not saying it's right or anything, just that I got along with them and it wasn't anything weird. My Mom's boyfriend is also like 10 or 12 years older than she is. It doesn't look as bad when you're 40+ though. :lol:

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 am

ShiningMoon wrote:Xyex, link to your [Future] Trunks/Eighteen fanfiction, pretty please? (Also, the other described series sounds pretty awesome. Raditsu/Chi-Chi sounds like an idea with some potential...but then I'm kind of a sucker for Raditsu, anyway. EDIT: Just realized that that is probably inherently obvious given my current avatar, and probably even more obvious if the whole image was visible, bahaha.)
The pairing in that isn't even remotely the focus on that fic (and it's a major AU, with no future anyone). It's just sort of an aside thing. It's referenced a few times (before a rather nasty... 'falling out' happens) and... that's it. There's more focus on Marron/Bra and 17/Pan in the story than there is Trunks/18 and they're not particularly centric either. It's more about the universe I've built up around them, and the on going adventure (and building apocalypse) than anything.

If you're still interested, though, check my signature. It's the story "The Darkness Overcomes You" on my FFnet profile.
Rocketman wrote:
Xyex wrote:18/Trunks (typically the future versions at that) is my favorite non-canon pairing in the series
She slaughtered half the planet, likely cut down his father, (in the special) killed the only person he's ever had a significant relationship with other than his mother and made his life an apocalyptic hell and you like pairing them up?

You've encapsulated everything that's so sickeningly wrong with fanfic.
Just to clarify, I never specifically meant future 18. I meant the future Trunks more than future 18. (The s on versions was a typo, in fact.) I can see both future versions working, with the right tweaking and changes made to the course of events, though. But it's more Future Trunks/Present 18. You know, the one that hasn't spent over a decade being psychopathic.
nathantheguitarist wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
It was more like 14-15 and 23-24 ish. I can't remember, and don't keep in touch with people lol.

Not as bad, and I'm not saying it's right or anything, just that I got along with them and it wasn't anything weird. My Mom's boyfriend is also like 10 or 12 years older than she is. It doesn't look as bad when you're 40+ though. :lol:
Age differences aren't such a big deal, especially once both people get older and the proportionality of it starts to drop. Something like 11 and 20 would be... not good. But 21 and 30? That works. In fact, that was me about five years ago.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 am

nathantheguitarist wrote: It was more like 14-15 and 23-24 ish. I can't remember, and don't keep in touch with people lol.
Actually since Pan was born in 779 and Trunks was born in 766, they are 13 years apart so they would be either 10/23 or 15/28 depending on how long after Z it(GT) is set. I'm such a frickin' nerd.

It isn't the age difference that disturbs me in this case though, it is more that people tend to write stories set when Pan is still underage.

Fortunately it does give me a lot of fodder to put in the story that I am currently writing.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 am

Xyex wrote:The pairing in that isn't even remotely the focus on that fic (and it's a major AU, with no future anyone). It's just sort of an aside thing. It's referenced a few times (before a rather nasty... 'falling out' happens) and... that's it. There's more focus on Marron/Bra and 17/Pan in the story than there is Trunks/18 and they're not particularly centric either. It's more about the universe I've built up around them, and the on going adventure (and building apocalypse) than anything.

If you're still interested, though, check my signature. It's the story "The Darkness Overcomes You" on my FFnet profile.
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. Well, I'm just kind of a sucker for seeing if people can convince me that a weird pairing is a good one, so I thought I'd ask. (Also I saw some awesome fanart of that pairing not too long ago that brought even the possibility of it to my attention.) Though the Marron/Bra sounds interesting as well; I always keep hoping to find DBZ fanfics with a meaningful (rather than just to draw people in/for the lulz/"'cause it's sexy!") lesbian relationship. Well, I guess I don't know that that's what that is in yours, but anyway, as you can see I have pretty low expectations for "meaningful"...
(But yeah, it's not as if any of those characters are my favorites, so I didn't mean to make it sound like I was all crazy over Trunks/18 specifically. It's just fun to look for fics where people are bold enough to try to convince the reader that some different pairing is feasible...er, well, you know, if it's done successfully.)

Anyway, building up the universe rather than the pairing sounds like the ideal way to go. Seems in many fics where there are pairings/romance/sex involved, the actual plot takes a[n extreme] backseat to development of said pairings, which is often frustrating and generally impossible to do well...from what I've seen, at least. Pretty tough to strike the right balance, I guess.
Might check it out if I get the time, though; thanks.

Er, a bit more back on the topic...
Trunks/Pan is kind of disturbing to me. Another really weird one I've seen floating around is Vegeta/Pan, which I don't get at all. (I think someone mentioned that one earlier in this thread?) That pairing seems to me like someone was using sarcasm to point out the ridiculousness of Trunks/Pan, but then someone who didn't catch the sarcasm decided to run with it.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 pm

ShiningMoon wrote:
Xyex wrote:The pairing in that isn't even remotely the focus on that fic (and it's a major AU, with no future anyone). It's just sort of an aside thing. It's referenced a few times (before a rather nasty... 'falling out' happens) and... that's it. There's more focus on Marron/Bra and 17/Pan in the story than there is Trunks/18 and they're not particularly centric either. It's more about the universe I've built up around them, and the on going adventure (and building apocalypse) than anything.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. Well, I'm just kind of a sucker for seeing if people can convince me that a weird pairing is a good one, so I thought I'd ask. (Also I saw some awesome fanart of that pairing not too long ago that brought even the possibility of it to my attention.) Though the Marron/Bra sounds interesting as well; I always keep hoping to find DBZ fanfics with a meaningful (rather than just to draw people in/for the lulz/"'cause it's sexy!") lesbian relationship. Well, I guess I don't know that that's what that is in yours, but anyway, as you can see I have pretty low expectations for "meaningful"...
Yea, it was a few fanarts that actually got me thinking of Trunks/18 in the first place. And then it just grew from there into my favorite non-canon pair.

And yeah, I know what you mean about meaningful lesbian pairings in fics. More often than not it's just some 12 year old who thinks they'd look 'hawt' together and is only writing it for the "Hay, look, gurlz kissing!" effect. Which is kinda depressing, cause the Yaoi fangirls can actually manage to work meaning into their weird shit.

Fear not, though. I give them the same treatment I do any other possible pairing. The pairing actually has plot importance, as well, as it becomes a major driving force for Bra's actions from about chapter 30 onward~
ShiningMoon wrote:Anyway, building up the universe rather than the pairing sounds like the ideal way to go. Seems in many fics where there are pairings/romance/sex involved, the actual plot takes a[n extreme] backseat to development of said pairings, which is often frustrating and generally impossible to do well...from what I've seen, at least. Pretty tough to strike the right balance, I guess.
Yeah, not an issue with me. I'm so not a romance writer. I'm a bit better with it than Toriyama and a trillion times better than Meyer, but who isn't? but it's not my forte (Action, adventure, and mysterious shit are) so I've always got the main plot in the front and any pairings tend to be little more than window dressing, as it were. They happen, they're there, but typically they're not expounded on much.
ShiningMoon wrote:Might check it out if I get the time, though; thanks.
Cool. It's my favorite of my stories.

And will probably be the biggest single story I have ever written by the time it's done. Nearly 200k words already and I'm, like, maybe a quarter into it? XD
ShiningMoon wrote:Er, a bit more back on the topic...
Trunks/Pan is kind of disturbing to me. Another really weird one I've seen floating around is Vegeta/Pan, which I don't get at all. (I think someone mentioned that one earlier in this thread?) That pairing seems to me like someone was using sarcasm to point out the ridiculousness of Trunks/Pan, but then someone who didn't catch the sarcasm decided to run with it.
Oh, I've seen Vegeta/Pan stuff before. That was completely and totally serious. It was... strange.

I've also seen plenty Gohan/Piccolo and some Goten/Piccolo and... it just never works from what I've seen of it. Piccolo/anyone just doesn't work because, well, it's Piccolo. I think the strangest pairing I've ever seen was Zarbon/Bulma. And it actually worked in the situation given.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Screw it, I'm scrapping the female GohanxPiccolo fanfic idea. It'd be too complicated for me to work around and I'm having second thoughts about it (Piccolo's too badass to have anything to do with anyone love-wise anyway).

On another note, Vegeta and 18 does seem like an interesting pairing. Like that thing when sometimes people act deliberately hostile (and sometimes over-the-top) towards someone in an attempt to cover up their love for them.

EDIT: What's the best unusual DB relationship fanfic that you guys have read?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Agreed, I think working Piccolo into a pairing successfully is a challenge (especially if you tend to, you know, like to keep your characters in-character). I think I might have mentioned this here or somewhere else or both (or neither?) but I've been thinking a lot lately (maybe in part due to the series of fics that I'm working on/wrapping up in the nearish future) about more unsettled/ambivalent (if that's the right way to say it) relationships. Like, in a lot of fanfic people tend to assume that if a character is with so-and-so, they are not with anyone else (they're a pairing or they're not) and so on. I think that it would potentially be easier to develop something Gohan/Piccolo or somebody/Piccolo if one considers this; that there could be some form of a relationship that is "incomplete," "never settled," "not fully reciprocated" or whatever. When I think of Goku/Vegeta, I tend to try to go from that angle lately. (Like, do either of those two seem the sort to enter a formal relationship? I don't think so.)

Vegeta and Eighteen would be interesting; I hadn't thought of that. (*gears in head spin*) Of course Vegeta acts deliberately hostile and over-the-top toward everyone, so I'm not sure that that's the best argument for them as a pairing.

Hm, the best unusual DB relationship fic... Well, if by unusual you simply mean non-canon, there's this pretty awesome Trunks/Goten one, which is way too much fun and picks up some deeper stuff as it progresses. I kind of went on a spree reading a big chunk of it one sitting, and it almost made me cry.
But I don't consider that pairing very unusual (kind of expected, really...) so um, hmmm...I'll have to think a little bit on the "unusual" part. There's gotta be one, I'm sure; just gotta try to remember...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:32 pm

ShiningMoon wrote:Vegeta and Eighteen would be interesting; I hadn't thought of that. (*gears in head spin*) Of course Vegeta acts deliberately hostile and over-the-top toward everyone, so I'm not sure that that's the best argument for them as a pairing.
Yeah, you're right about Vegeta and 18. But I was thinking that he could just have, like, a serious "grudge" against her for defeating and humiliating him, and he treats harsher than anyone else. And he only really treats Goku over-the-top--he just treats Piccolo and the others as inferior to him. But whatever.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.