Dragon Ball Blue Water Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Blue Water Dub

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 pm

I have noticed that people always talk about the Westwood DBZ dub & Blue Water's DBGT dub, but not very many people show love to the Blue Water dub of the original series. I'm not even in the countries this dub aired in, but I still love it, so I'm going to provide some clips of this dub. Early in the series there is some severe censorship as clip # 1 will show, but later on it's basically uncut. Excuse the quality of these clips as they're not the best.

Clip #1: Goku Gets A Fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvbEJ4oRik

Clip #2: Robot Oolong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qai_0cJhSkY

Clip #3: Toninjinka is a Gangsta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDmj0tQtag
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Blue Water Dub

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Wow, in clip #3 Oolong actually has a decent voice in an English dub! Cool.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Wow, in clip #3 Oolong actually has a decent voice in an English dub! Cool.
Yes I quite like Oolong's voice in this dub, and Bulma's is good in my opinion.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Ah, yes. I think I have an old VHS of this dub. It was where they were trapped in Pilaf's castle.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Wow, that's pretty terrible. But then, it is Blue Water, after all.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Oh come on it's not that bad. At least it's not as bad as the Big Green, Creative Products, Malaysian or Portuguese dubs are. Want bad watch those. Granted that it's not as good as FUNi's dub it does have it's moments where it shines. I can't wait to see more of it.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:10 pm

I guess I am the only person who loves the Blue Water dub of the original Dragon Ball. To me Zoe Slusar will always be the English voice of Kid Goku.

Maybe its just nostalgia but I always disliked Funimations dub of Dragon Ball because I couldn't stand the voices. Thanks for uploading the clips.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:44 pm

That was....Bad. The only voice that sounded somewhat decent was Oolong's.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:18 pm

I always thought Blue Water was at least decent and not horrible, but then again I've really only seen their dubs of G Gundam and select GT clips. However, Yamcha is absolutely horrible. The voice is good, but he's totally flat.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:46 pm

bkev wrote:I always thought Blue Water was at least decent and not horrible, but then again I've really only seen their dubs of G Gundam and select GT clips. However, Yamcha is absolutely horrible. The voice is good, but he's totally flat.
Yeah I agree. I prefer Sabat's Yamcha myself.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Maybe Sabat's current Yamucha.

Before that, surfer/stoner Yamucha.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 pm

penguintruth wrote:Maybe Sabat's current Yamucha.

Before that, surfer/stoner Yamucha.
Even that's better than Victor Atelevich's Yam(u)cha

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:31 am

I will henceforth refer to this dub as the "Thong Gokū dub". :P

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Big Momma wrote:Ah, yes. I think I have an old VHS of this dub. It was where they were trapped in Pilaf's castle.
This dub wasn't on VHS (or any home format). You must be thinking of the FUNi/BLT dub.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Ah, yes. I think I have an old VHS of this dub. It was where they were trapped in Pilaf's castle.
This dub wasn't on VHS (or any home format). You must be thinking of the FUNi/BLT dub.
Maybe he taped it? Wait, is Big Momma in the UK or Canada?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:21 am

I swear I remembered this dub being better than that. Perhaps this is proof that I am getting old.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 pm

I think the shitty quality of the recording is what makes this dub seem worse than it is. And this is certainly the best English dub I've EVER heard Blue Water create. I mean, this dub is ACTUALLY decent.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Raven

Post by Raven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, I think I actually prefer this Bulma over any other dub I've heard. Can't say the same about the rest of the casting though :shock:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:09 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:
Maybe he taped it? Wait, is Big Momma in the UK or Canada?
Nah, I'm in the US. So he's right. I haven't seen the tape in awhile, so I wasn't entirely sure if it was the same dub.
This is the one that I have:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog