"Not 'til the fish jumps"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Not 'til the fish jumps"

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Guys, there's a far more important question here. Until about half an hour prior, that entire area was under a thick ice pack.

Where did that fish come from?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:33 pm

What do you think people are fishing for when the cut a hole through ice?

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, the Cell Game Re-enactment opened with the logo, and FUNimation changed it to a corporate sponsor with a little jingle: "Waaaves and Rooocks!" followed by an announcer going, "This program is brought to you by Waves and Rocks."

EDIT: Aaaaand... yeah. :cry:
I must find the writer who thought this was funny and throw him in some waves and rocks. :evil:
I actually liked that joke. In fact it's probably the only moment where I will not only say that I enjoyed the (pre-Kai) dub version of, but vastly preferred to the Japanese scene. The original went more with the typical subtle Japanese humor in that 'haha, the joke is the corny costumes and effects and that this obviously didn't happen this way'. I think FUNi was brilliant to play it up with the hilarious B-movie acting and cheesy lines. The thing was meant to be a parody, and punching something like that up for the target audience is acceptable in my eyes. They didn't change the purpose of the scene, they just put a more American comedic spin on it, and since it was a parody to begin with, I think it worked well. The 'Waves and Rocks' thing just ties into the way they dubbed the rest of the parody IMO. Whether or not you think it's funny, it's hard to say it was inappropriate for the scene; it precedes a parody, and somehow I can't imagine the same silent Toei logo would work well with the rest of FUNi's version.

The problem is when FUNi tries to shoehorn humor into where it's not originally supposed to be, or...well I guess in this case, depending on the viewer, it was originally a joke, but not in the same way. They made the characters extremely OOC and break the fourth wall for something that didn't fit either character just to go out on a lame joke. FUNi can be humorous when they do things the right way, Dragonball just has a bad tradition of getting this treatment poorly, sadly even in Kai albeit rare (ex. Nappa's 'I HATE THE MEDIA!!' line). They need to just translate and localize as necessary to make it Dragonball In English, and hey, if there's an opportunity to put a unique spin on a scene that's supposed to be humorous already, maybe change a joke instead of trying to translate it directly (especially when the original might get lost in translation and not be funny anymore in English), etc...I'm usually okay with that. It's things like the fish joke, or cat loves food, or a lot of other stuff that yes, I know they've made great leaps to move away from, but they're memorable in the fans' minds and give the dub a bad rep - and it is sad to see them continue to attempt that occasionally even now in Kai. It's like they're afraid to break away from the mold they settled into for the past 10 years, even though that's more than anything what this series really needs.

Edit: OMG, 400 posts!! I've been far too active here lately for my usual vanish-for-11-months-of-the-year habits...I've been sick in bed watching Kai reruns on Nicktoons for far too long :cry:
Last edited by Suupaa Gohan 2 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:21 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Big Momma wrote:What's with the "This movie is brought to you by waves and rocks" thing that was mentioned? I'm guessing it's due to the Toei(or is it Shueisha?) logo shown at the beginning with the waves and rocks. Was there a dub line from it?
It was during Mr. Satan's Cell Games Re-enactment. It started out with the usual Toei intro, except it said ZTV. And in the dub, you hear a bunch of singers saying, "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAVES AND ROOOOOOOOOOCKS" and a voice saying "This movie is brought to you by waves and rocks"
Oh. Hahaha, that sounds really funny.

And thanks to you, too, Gaffer Tape. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog