"Not 'til the fish jumps"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: "Not 'til the fish jumps"

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Are you a sub fan then? Why would the Dub even matter either way to your enjoyment of the show. And You can't hate on TFS for anything that came before it. They are just doing a parody of the show, not the dub or sub directly.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Are you a sub fan then? Why would the Dub even matter either way to your enjoyment of the show. And You can't hate on TFS for anything that came before it. They are just doing a parody of the show, not the dub or sub directly.
What is with "dub fans" getting so over-defensive in this thread? What is wrong with linkdude20002001 giving a reason for not liking the dub?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:55 pm

It's not funny, but I'm not gonna nerdrage over it.

Rachel hit it on the head; "Waves and Rocks" was great.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:01 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Are you a sub fan then? Why would the Dub even matter either way to your enjoyment of the show. And You can't hate on TFS for anything that came before it. They are just doing a parody of the show, not the dub or sub directly.
What is with "dub fans" getting so over-defensive in this thread? What is wrong with linkdude20002001 giving a reason for not liking the dub?
Well, you know, the same reason that it's inciting a flame war to criticize one of the dub voice actors, I guess.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:16 am

I loved the original version too. Piccolo and Vegeta trying to mull over exactly what just happened and feeling dejected. That seems more humorous then a non sequitur fish joke. Different strokes for different folks.
Super Sonic wrote:It made me laugh. Grant it sounded a little corny, but to where it was funny.
penguintruth wrote:I don't even care if it's hilarious (and it isn't). Adding a line that wasn't there is unacceptable.
As I've said to everyone else who badmouths it, had that been in a Bugs Buny cartoon, you would've laughed or found it funny.
Sure, it probably would have fit better using Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck in a Loony Toon. I don't really understand how that detracts from people saying it was an unnecessary line in a Dragon Ball Z movie though. It's a totally different universe with two completely different characters and a presumably completely changed set up.
Last edited by Turtle Marked Stone on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:20 am

Which movie(s) was the "Waves and rocks" joke in?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:20 am

It wasn't. It was in the series when at the 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai where they play the re-enactment of the Cell Games. I admit I found that really funny.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:25 am

I don't remember it... But that's a funny joke.
I'm not sub fan. While I adore the Japanese actors, I'm a dub fan who's displeased with the English dub. I love watching Kai and the three Geneon dubbed movies in English (and exclusively do so).
And I'm not hating on TFS; especially not for something FUNi did.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:49 am

Super Sonic wrote:had that been in a Bugs Buny cartoon, you would've laughed or found it funny.
Surely you aren't so dense to think that's the objection here.

They added a line where there wasn't one. Not a line at all. No line whatsoever. They just added it. For no reason. Because they felt like it.

It's not a line that substitutes for another. Not a joke that replaces an untranslatable Japanese joke. They just said, "Fuck it, let's make this scene HILIARIOUS by adding this line for no reason whatsoever."

That is dumbfuckery of the highest order. That's like Goku talking about his split ends. Or cat loving food, yeah yeah yeah. It's pure, unadulterated stupid from the minds of the "writers" at Funimation, people who think they're witty and clever, who want badly to produce their own cartoons, but lack the vision or talent to do so, so they try to spice up shows that have already been written.

In other words, hacks.

Is one line such a big deal in the long run? No, of course not. But it's indicative of the general attitude Funimation has towards this material, a pervasive, dismissive, "We can do better" attitude. Well, they can't. They've never improved anything. They need to just do their jobs and shut up.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 am

I just can't find the "fish jumps" line funny. At all. It's like if someone in a comedy show said "not until the fat lady sings", and a fat woman came through the door and started singing. It wouldn't be funny to anyone over the age of eleven.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:57 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:07 am

Allow me to rephrase.

As a stand-alone joke in an otherwise faithful dub (hypothetically of course), I think it's funny. It's a strangely gratuitous moment in the original animation that's kind of funny when it's directly pointed out. If this were a one-time occurrence, I'd be totally fine with it.

As a line indicative of Funimation's overall treatment of the series, yes, it seems egregious.

I generally let this one slide because it's of such a different variety than the standard "Let's add a pun to spice up this serious scene" or "Let's add a line here just to avoid silence" attitude in the rest of the original dub. It seems like kind of a knowing in-joke about the footage as opposed to trying to cram their own stand-up into places it doesn't belong. Or at least it would if they'd treated the rest of the series better.

I just don't think it's comparable to "Cat loves food" or Goku's split-ends at all.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:49 am

Super Sonic wrote:As I've said to everyone else who badmouths it, had that been in a Bugs Buny cartoon, you would've laughed or found it funny.
...because Dragonball isn't a Bugs Bunny cartoon, and if it was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, it wouldn't be out of place...? So...your point is...?

Anyways, sub fan here, I dislike the line. It's not that the joke isn't funny (it's not hilarious, but it's not terrible), or that it breaks the fourth wall, or that OMG THEY ADDED A LINE WHERE THERE WAS NO LINE HOW DARE THEY or anything like that. It's because it's absolutely, completely and irrefutably out of character for both parties. The joke is that two of the most serious characters who try to interact with each other as little as possible are randomly sitting together on this little chunk of ice. Adding that line in kills the original joke, IMO, and replaces it with one that makes no sense coming from the parties in question.

If it had been, say, Kuririn and [x] (I dunno, Yamcha, Gohan, even Trunks, anyone really), I probably wouldn't mind it and would even laugh. The reason the line bugs me is because it's Vegeta and Piccolo, and it's a prime example of the dub painting the characters to be totally different than they're supposed to be.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 pm

It's my single favorite dub line in ALL OF EXISTENCE! Like many others have said, it's just a bout the only dub script change that's a welcome one. I think it gave that last random view of Piccolo and Vegeta actual purpose. It just felt awkward and pretty pointless without anybody saying anything.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I just can't find the "fish jumps" line funny. At all. It's like if someone in a comedy show said "not until the fat lady sings", and a fat woman singing came through the door and started singing. It wouldn't be funny to anyone over the age of eleven.
That's exactly it. It's sounds stupid, not funny. I'm watching a shonen anime, not some pre-schooler's show. O_o
Though, I guess you're right that elementary schoolers would find it funny too. But even as an elementary schooler, I'd've found that stupid, and wouldn't been embarrassed to watch a show with a script like that. In fact, I was embarrassed to watch DBZ ('cause of the script and music).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 pm

sumpter360 wrote:It just felt awkward and pretty pointless without anybody saying anything.
That's pretty much the point of that scene. I personally don't see how the dub of that scene makes it any more necessary or meaningful.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:It just felt awkward and pretty pointless without anybody saying anything.
That's pretty much the point of that scene. I personally don't see how the dub of that scene makes it any more necessary or meaningful.
The addition of lines ADDS to the scene.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Would you care to elaborate HOW? And you said "lines" in plural. Did you misspeak while referring to this line, or do you mean ALL additional dialogue adds to a scene?

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Would you care to elaborate HOW? And you said "lines" in plural. Did you misspeak while referring to this line, or do you mean ALL additional dialogue adds to a scene?
"Is it over?"
"Not 'til the fish jumps."
*splash*
"It's over."

Looks like multiple lines to me.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 pm

I never understood why they just sat there on the chunk of ice like they were stranded. They could have just flown away.