Your Cutlist for Dragonball Evolution?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Your Cutlist for Dragonball Evolution?

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 am

I'm sure some of you have heard about films being redited by fans in order to make them more accurate to their source material or more enjoyable in general. Some examples of this are Spider-Man 3 Redemption, Batman and Robin "Deassified" and Star Wars Episode 1: Shadow Of the Sith.

To my knowledge nobody has done a Dragonball Evolution edit yet so I thought it would be fun to see what some of you guys would edit out of the film be it entire scenes, dialogue or certain shots. Obviously adding things is out of the question seeing as how you don't have the actors on hand so you can only remove.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Your Cutlist for Dragonball Evolution?

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:11 am

I was going to aaaaages ago but never got to it, I even showed a few tests of my recolouring of Bulma's hair. :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Any scene mentioning or including Sifu Norris. Who the fuck is that? And when he shows up, he doesn't do anything.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Take out the high school scenes. Entirely.

If possible, take advantage of the 5.1 audio track to replace the music with Kikuchi's DB score.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Omit every scene

Except for chi-chi and the strawberry
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:05 am

B wrote:Any scene mentioning or including Sifu Norris. Who the fuck is that? And when he shows up, he doesn't do anything.
Who exactly is "Sifu Norris"? I've seen the movie twice, and I can't remember.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
B wrote:Any scene mentioning or including Sifu Norris. Who the fuck is that? And when he shows up, he doesn't do anything.
Who exactly is "Sifu Norris"? I've seen the movie twice, and I can't remember.
He was Ernie Hudson, who gave Roshi the sealing jar.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:38 am

That movie was trash from start to finish. I have a thing where I can watch crappy cheesy movies. If Batman and Robin is on the movie channels, I'd watch it for a laugh. If Speed Racer is on, I'd watch it for a laugh. If Dragon Ball Evolution is on, I skip it. I saw it once from beginning to end on Cinemax (thank god I didn't pay money for it), and I refuse to ever watch anything from it ever again. I will not even sit and watch a scene from it. The only thing to do is incinerate the copies of that movie and to the people who bought it on Blu-ray or DVD, you guys would have kind of like an exclusive limited edition super rarity. Because I honestly don't think that I've ever seen anything kill something I loved quite like that movie. I LOVED Batman and still didn't feel like Batman and Robin killed the franchise. I loved Spider-Man and still didn't feel that the movies killed it. I loved Street Fighter II The Animated Movie and still didn't feel like Street Fighter II V killed it (quite the different direction for this one lol), but as I watched Dragon Ball Evolution, I felt like my childhood was being raped while having its head smashed in by a brick.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:33 pm

"Sifu Norris"?
"Sifu" is close to a romanization for the Mandarin word for "Master" (It might be valid in a romanization system that I'm not familiar with).
"Master Norris"?

So what, was he a play on Chuck Norris, or what?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:25 pm

To put it simple Sifu Norris is Muten Roshi's master.

And regarding my opinion of the movie I still can enjoy it today. What I won't give to see the extended fight of Goku and Piccolo.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:31 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: But really, "I hope the director get's hit by a bus, and then a plane."
You're actually wishing someone who hasn't committed an immoral crime, like raping or killing someone, gets "hit by a bus, and then a plane". Oh my fucking god.

You're a fucking psycho.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: But really, "I hope the director get's hit by a bus, and then a plane."
You're actually wishing someone who hasn't committed an immoral crime, like raping or killing someone, gets "hit by a bus, and then a plane". Oh my fucking god.

You're a fucking psycho.
lol I don't think he was serious about that...
El Conejo Malo

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:

You're a fucking psycho.
lol I don't think he was serious about that...
He sounded serious. Just like those guys in the "Bitch I Look Like Goku" thread who wanted Soulja Boy to die.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:11 pm

caejones wrote:"Sifu Norris"?
"Sifu" is close to a romanization for the Mandarin word for "Master" (It might be valid in a romanization system that I'm not familiar with).
"Master Norris"?

So what, was he a play on Chuck Norris, or what?

"Sifu" is the Cantonese "spelling" of master or teacher. (Si1fu6) Shifu (pronounced Sure foo not Shee foo as a lot of people mistakenly do) is the Mandarin Pinyin spelling of the word master or teacher or sometimes can refer to a salesman that had to create his/her item in order to sell it such as a blacksmith or a potter.
I’ve got a lovely bunch of Dragonballs
There they are all standing in a row
Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head!

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Editing Evolution is actually something I considered in the past at one point. I'd probably add most of the deleted scenes back in, and maybe make some small cuts here and there. Unlike most of the boards I enjoyed Evolution, because I went in not expecting anything. This allowed me to enjoy it for what it was, a dumb action movie that doesn't take itself seriously. I wouldn't be editing the movie to make it more like Dragon Ball, I'd just be editing to make it a better movie.
­

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:13 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: He was Ernie Hudson, who gave Roshi the sealing jar.
Oh, I thought he was Mutaito.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:18 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote: He was Ernie Hudson, who gave Roshi the sealing jar.
Oh, I thought he was Mutaito.
He was speculated to be Mutaito, until the movie releaved the actual name "Sifu Norris".
I always did think it was a reference to Chuck Norris. XD

VxG<3er
Location: for website (www.picturetrail.com account : cosplaykitty444) living in Melbourne, Australia

Post by VxG<3er » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 am

That movie is a lost cause. It was rubbish whether you are a fan or not. I hope no-one wastes their time attempting to edit any of that garbage.
I'm in Japan.... overloading on Anime, constantly on the edge ^_^

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:09 am

His character actually did portray Master Mutaito, and was originally named Mutaito. The fact of the matter is that this film was a very loosed adaptation, so it wasn't uncommon for mistakes and changes to be made.

Personally, I would cut the following :

Goku in highschool (and everything to do with that i.e. the way he meets Chi Chi, the bullies, etc)
Goku complaining to Gohan about training
Goku training to "get the girl"
Yamcha (I thought he was a fighter?)
The world's martial arts tournament (no point if only Chi Chi and Mai are involved)
Chi Chi vs Chi Chi
Roshi's KameHameHa reviving Goku (although him meeting Gohan in "other world" was ok I guess)
The so called cliff hanger at the end

As for my personal changes, well that's a different story. Maybe that can be a thread if it isn't already.

And as for anyone willing to edit the film themselves in a decent manner, I will be more than happy to make a post about it at Dragonball Legends. My guess is the cut will consist of this :

Goku fighting Gohan, Piccolo destroying an entire city, Piccolo killing Gohan, Goku meeting Bulma and traveling to Roshi's house (skip the whole entering his house), Goku fighting Roshi, Roshi training Goku with (the only thing worthy really IMO) the movie's epic music in the bg, Goku meeting Chi Chi at training area, Piccolo attempting to resurrect Shenlong and Goku and Piccolo's fight.

Personally I thought the only thing similar to the anime was the very short lived Goku's Kamehameha vs Piccolo and maybe the ki blasts/knocking each other into mountain terrain. It seemed the movie built up to this point as the movie title even points to as "db evolution", as if it begins non Dragon Ball, but at the end, it's a bit like it (saying it evolved into Dragon Ball towards the end).

For example:

The beginning: Goku goes to highschool and gets picked on, complains about training, wants to get the girl, wears modern day clothes, spikes his hair with gel...basically some generic teenager.

More towards the middle: Goku has a vengence to kill Piccolo, we see a glimpse of his insane hunger, we see more of his fighting skills with his fight with Roshi, also his strength and cameo of his training with Roshi (large backpack = turtle shell), and the fact that Goku basically dropped his previous life as a student, normal kid, etc etc etc to go on this quest to become the Goku we know from the manga/anime. However, Justin Chatwin's version of Goku nearly destroys this concept, the personality of this live action Goku is obviously not the same as the original.

Towards the end: Goku's signature gi, his hair even resembles Goku's a lot more towards the end, Oozaru (although I thought the concept was horrible, the size of of the Great Ape didn't bother me too much, but the eclipse deal? and Goku returning to normal by simply overpowering the state of Oozaru in his head? wtf), Gohan finding Goku by "meteor", obviously shaping a Saiyan space pod, the short lived fight (if only it was never cut to begin with), Shenlong, bringing Roshi back to life, Dragonballs scattering and them eager to search for them again.

So for the film to "evolve" so quickly, there are obvious plot holes (the main one being, how the hell did Goku become that powerful in that short amount of time), most of which could have been avoided if the movie stuck to the source. And is it just me or did the movie's promotion material portray Dragon Ball a lot more than the film itself?
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community