DragonBall Kai > Original DragonBall anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

DragonBall Kai > Original DragonBall anime

Post by Nazi Cola » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:08 pm

In terms of debate, which do you think holds more weight? The new DragonBall Kai or the old, original anime? And why?

Right now, I use the old anime since I haven't seen Kai. But from what I can gather, I assume Kai would hold more weight because it's truer to the manga and debates about filler wouldn't be as present, as far as I'm concerned.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

penguintruth
Banned

Re: DragonBall Kai > Original DragonBall anime

Post by penguintruth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 pm

DBZ versus Kai is a false dichotomy. Mixing the two creates the perfect animated post-23rd Budoukai experience.

Kai is an ingredient, not a meal.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm

The original, it has ALL the footage.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm

I guess you could say Kai holds "more weight" than Z, but it hardly matters when the source material looms over both.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

NUDEoctopus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NUDEoctopus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:51 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:The original, it has ALL the footage.
Agreed, to me it is like trying to compare a field guide to an encyclopedia. Kai has whats important, but for all the extra filler material, you go to Z.
PSN: moyerman105

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 pm

If ONLY Kai was around, we would lose SO much of the show as a whole.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Another reason to love Dragon Ball, we have an option for filler or barley any.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:If ONLY Kai was around, we would lose SO much of the show as a whole.
Or they could've made a good adaptation in the first place?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Manga> Dragonball anime+ Kai> DBZ

Whether you like the pacing of Kai or not, I'd say just from a story coherency standpoint, Kai most definitely holds more weight than Z ever did.

gokuhan72

Post by gokuhan72 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I prefer DBZ over DB: Kai. I actually really like filler, I don't know why but I just do. Also with DBZ I get 294 episodes compared to 130? ( I think Kai is supposed to be around there). But I think it may also be a bit nostalgia based as to why I like DBZ over Kai.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 pm

The amine has more episodes so I like it better. Kai just doesn't cut it for me.
El Conejo Malo

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:02 am

Yeah but a lot of episodes are just "AAAAGHHHH lol I'm stronger than you" "no I'm stronger" "shall we just stand here till the clock runs out?" "sounds good".

Please. Kai is far superior. Plus it gets rid of garbage that confused the power levels, like Goku vs Buutenks and Pikkon vs Cell.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:21 am

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:Please. Kai is far superior. Plus it gets rid of garbage that confused the power levels, like Goku vs Buutenks and Paikuhan vs Cell.
It must be nice to be from the future.
-Rachel

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:26 am

Well, you know what they say: future events such as these will affect you in the future.

At some point, I might be interested in seeing Kai all the way through, but I admit things like the music I love are holding me back. Yamamoto's score just hasn't done it for me like Kikuchi's does.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 am

TripleRach wrote:
Ussj Future Trunks wrote:Please. Kai is far superior. Plus it gets rid of garbage that confused the power levels, like Goku vs Buutenks and Paikuhan vs Cell.
It must be nice to be from the future.
:lol: I see what you did there :wink:
I will agree with what some others have said. DBZ gives you the whole experience, what the studio wanted to make, even though, they had to make filler scenes.
If Kai holds more weight in debates just because it has edited out that filler, I don't know, because AFAIK they have kept some filler, like Krillin headbutting Imperfect Cell IIRC.
I will always go with: Manga>Daizenshuu>Anime.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:41 am

LeprikanGT wrote:The original, it has ALL the footage.
This reminds me of that line from Alternate Reality DBZ that goes something like: "you know how you have deleted scenes as bonuses on movie DVDs? Well, here's less footage and less scenes. Fans are pratically creaming their pants over it".

I lol'ed so hard.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 am

"Here let me trim the fat off of your steak"
"WHAT!? I HAVE LESS STEAK NOW!"
"W-well not really, it's just the chewy gross parts you'd have to wade through in order to get to the proper meat"
"FUCK YOU!"

Not really getting the "more is always better" mentality here. I mean I can understand not liking Kai for many reasons but...

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am

Turtle Marked Stone wrote:"Here let me trim the fat off of your steak"
"WHAT!? I HAVE LESS STEAK NOW!"
"W-well not really, it's just the chewy gross parts you'd have to wade through in order to get to the proper meat"
"FUCK YOU!"

Not really getting the "more is always better" mentality here. I mean I can understand not liking Kai for many reasons but...
Some people like that extra fat in their steak, I myself have always eaten it, so it would feel unnatural to me, if I suddenly received a steak without it, likewise with the fans of Dragonball Z. Some people just like to get all the footage.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:19 am

Then I guess it's true...there's no accounting for taste. :SMUGGO:

Seriously though, you'd like to eat the awful tasting, chewy bits that hold nothing of nutritional value just because you always have? Seems a bit silly to me but to each his own steak I suppose.