Pronounciation Help

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Pronounciation Help

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:16 am

So I was reading through this page on Daizex yesterday (which is great, BTW) and overnight I got thinking: how do you pronounce the Evil Dragons' names in Chinese? For example, would "Wu Xing Long" be pronounced like "Uu Shinron", how it's spelt, or another way?

I'm seldom actually going to pronounce them out loud, but the compulsive linguist in me really wants to know! Help would be greatly appreciated.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Pronounciation Help

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 am

I can ask my step-dad tomorrow since he's Chinese, but I believe it's Oo-shing-lohng or Woo-shing-lohng.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:28 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:So I was reading through this page on Daizex yesterday (which is great, BTW) and overnight I got thinking: how do you pronounce the Evil Dragons' names in Chinese? For example, would "Wu Xing Long" be pronounced like "Uu Shinron", how it's spelt, or another way?

I'm seldom actually going to pronounce them out loud, but the compulsive linguist in me really wants to know! Help would be greatly appreciated.

I learned chinese for 3 years (i still cant speak it properply) but my teacher told me my prononciation is pretty accurate and I cant count from 1-20 :D

"Wu Xing Long"

"Wu" would be kinda like "Woo"
However it has the so called "third tone" wich means that while saying "woo" you first have to stress the "oo"-sound a little then stronger like a wave here is a vid explaining it better : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_P_H9g ... re=related

"Xing" would be "Shee-ng" unfortunately I dont know the tone of this one

"Long" would be just like the enlish word "long" but with a tiny bit more stress on the "g" and the "o" just a tiny bit more like a "u"
-凯

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:18 am

Yeah, the pronunciation of Si Xing Long's name (Si = Soo) used to throw me off, too.

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:25 am

Savage68 wrote:Yeah, the pronunciation of Si Xing Long's name (Si = Soo) used to throw me off, too.
The correct way to pronounce "Si Xing Long" ;"Si" (meaning four) is not really pronounce Soo that would sound like Sue, but it more closely sounds like suh.

In fact here is 1-10 in Chinese (pinyin) and pronunciation just for kicks :)

1. yi - pronounced like "eee" really long "e"
2. er - pronounced like the letter "r" and nothing more.
3. san- pronounced like "sahn" or combining the word "on" with the letter "s".
4. si- see above
5. wu- as people have stated like "woo"
6. liu- probably the closest is "lee-oh"
7. qi- pronounced like "chee"
8. ba- just like a lamb "baa"
9. jiu- something like "jee-oh"
10. shi- Everyone gets this one wrong whether its the number or another variation of the word/character etc. Its pronounced "shur" or like the English word "sure"! When people call their masters "shee fu" instead of "shi-fu" it just picks at me! Please people don't make the same mistake that "Kung Fu Panda" made throughout their entire movie!

Obviously their are tones attached to each of them, but I won't delve that deep on a forum. :)
I’ve got a lovely bunch of Dragonballs
There they are all standing in a row
Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:51 pm

http://www.purpleculture.net/Chinese-Ch ... Online.asp

This thing is quite useful, I think.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah, basically everything said already. The Xing Longs(pronounced kinda like "Sihn Rowng" in my dialect)/ Star Dragons have somewhat strange pronounciations to those not familiar to 'em, so it's cool if you just use their direct translations in English.

Although, I do remember the second Dragon having a strange name. IIRC, they called him Liang Xin Long, when Liang is the word used for two things and not the number two(Er). I think the BW dub caught this and didn't name him at all.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm weird in that when I speak them aloud, I use the Japanese approximation (for example, "Ii-Shinron"), but write it out as "Yi Xing Long". I suppose it's mostly because I actually know how to pronounce Japanese, as opposed to Chinese...

RE: The number two, yeah, Julian noted this on the page:
Awesomeness wrote:The Chinese word for "two" is actually "Er," which is carried through to the name of the Two-Star Ball, "Er Xing Qiu" (written in Japanese as "Arushinchuu"). "Liang" is closer in meaning to "pair" than "two," so the reason for this change remains a mystery.
Strange, but interesting, stuff.

Which dub / area messed it up as "Li-Shenron"...? I know I've asked before, but my memory is nearing Toriyama-level.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Which dub / area messed it up as "Li-Shenron"...? I know I've asked before, but my memory is nearing Toriyama-level.
The Blue Water dub had Yi Xing Long as Li Shen Ron, though I chalk this up to the script writer. He probably romanized and typed "Yi" as "Ii" with a capital "I" on the script, giving the VAs the impression that it was pronounced "Lee."

Also, IIRC, the Cantonese dub fixed the 2-Star Dragon's name. IF IRC.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:45 am

Got it. Thanks everyone for your help.