The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
ahill1 wrote:It's a pity that we only have access to Viz, a shit translation regarding power debates. Don't you guys know any other translations that are reliable as Herms?
Well, I think Viz and Herms' translations focus on different aspects of the language. While Herms does a super-duper-job, his translations, while accurate, are very focused on strength debates, which sometimes feels odd when I read. I mean, you can say the same thing with different words to catch the reader's attention and that's fine.
It's not that.

Herms' translations are meant to be literal, entirely accurate approximations of the lines in the original. He doesn't have to care about pacing or flow or whether the line sounds natural or not, and can "just" give us more or less the same thing that was in the original.

Viz, on the other hand, is trying to make the lines sound good in English, and what works in Japanese doesn't necessarily translate exactly into English very well. That's why some liberties have to be taken with translation. Most of the changes are relatively minor, with no real affect on the plot. It's just that the power-level obsessed crowd have a totally different value system when it comes to translations, and don't seem to care about readability as much as whether something validates their opinions.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Yeah, this description seems to make more justice. I assumed Herms cares more about transmiting the japanese mannerisms to the lines, which I found special about his work. But if I were to read in Portuguese, I wouldn't say in Portugal but particularly in Brazil, it would feel too formal.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:34 pm

Herms, why do you pondered the possibility of Goku, while in Kaioshin's realm, referring to the kids individual KIs rather than Gotenks'? It was flat out stated that Goku could not sense the kids fused ki IIRC.

Ash57
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash57 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm happy about it because DBS sub teams here in Brazil are posting pretty reliable subs, i compared them to Herms and Dragon Team and it is almost identical.
"No matter how many times you spend on these forums. No matter how arrogant you are, you'll eventually lose a debate. So stop and admit that you're not omniscient"

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:02 pm

This might be an unusual request, but - for my master's degree, I need to write a 6K word extended essay, and my topic is the "Hero's Journey" monomyth and the ways it appears in DragonBall. Is there a place I might find the fully translated publishing details of the daizenshuu? I need them for the bibliography.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 am

zDBZ wrote:This might be an unusual request, but - for my master's degree, I need to write a 6K word extended essay, and my topic is the "Hero's Journey" monomyth and the ways it appears in DragonBall. Is there a place I might find the fully translated publishing details of the daizenshuu? I need them for the bibliography.
Most basic publishing details are covered on the individual pages for the Daizenshuus such as release date, page number etc.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 am

Shoryuken wrote:
zDBZ wrote:This might be an unusual request, but - for my master's degree, I need to write a 6K word extended essay, and my topic is the "Hero's Journey" monomyth and the ways it appears in DragonBall. Is there a place I might find the fully translated publishing details of the daizenshuu? I need them for the bibliography.
Most basic publishing details are covered on the individual pages for the Daizenshuus such as release date, page number etc.
Thank you very much!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Could someone please translate what's said here?
I'd really appreciate it.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Wed May 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Related to this same assignment - is there anyone who could tell me the specific episodes where 1. Goku talks with Piccolo about how, even if he could defeat Fat Buu as a Super Saiyan 3, he won't be around forever and it's time for others to save the world, and 2. Supreme Kai tells Gohan about the Z sword and Gohan wonders where he's heard something like this before. And what the translation of the original Japanese dialogue is?

I've only seen those episodes in the original Funi dub, and I don't have access to the Japanese original at the moment. To be honest, I'm not sure if 2. is even in the show, or if it was just in the manga.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Could someone please translate what's said here?
Sure.
Chapter 419 wrote:・・・なんだ 生きていたのか トランクス・・・
それにしても おまえほど ムダな努力が似合う バカは いないな・・・

What, you're still alive, Trunks?
Nevertheless, no other fool [dabbles in] futile endeavors as well as you do.
While trying to find your panel, I learned that Toriyama had actually copied it from Trunks the Story.
---
zDBZ wrote:Related to this same assignment - is there anyone who could tell me the specific episodes where...
Here you go.
#279 - [05:46.16] - Goku: I can say this now, but the truth is,
#279 - [05:48.16] - Goku: I could have beaten that chubby Boo back when I was at Super Saiyan 3.
#279 - [05:53.76] - Goku: But I wanted those young guys to do something about him instead.

#242 - [20:22.77] - Gohan: Seems like there was something like this in ancient folklore...
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Thank you, Emma.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Wed May 04, 2016 9:47 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:
zDBZ wrote:Related to this same assignment - is there anyone who could tell me the specific episodes where...
Here you go.
#279 - [05:46.16] - Goku: I can say this now, but the truth is,
#279 - [05:48.16] - Goku: I could have beaten that chubby Boo back when I was at Super Saiyan 3.
#279 - [05:53.76] - Goku: But I wanted those young guys to do something about him instead.

#242 - [20:22.77] - Gohan: Seems like there was something like this in ancient folklore...
Thank ye kindly.

If I could impose again - any chance you know the exact translation for what Goku says as he watches Supreme Kai's crystal ball right before Gohan begins his fight with Super Buu?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 pm

zDBZ wrote:If I could impose again - any chance you know the exact translation for what Goku says as he watches Supreme Kai's crystal ball right before Gohan begins his fight with Super Buu?
Here's Steve Simmons' translation of the entire scene.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:48 pm

This is a general question, but I always see 俺 written as オレ in this series. Is that normal/common in Japanese writing? Why katakana and not hiragana?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Came across something a bit funny last night.

When Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma see Vegeta's pod land on Namek, Krillin says: "Gohan!!!!! Suppress your Chi!!!! He'll sense you!!!!" I guess I just thought it was funny because Krillin didn't assume Vegeta could sense Chi until he saw him without a scouter later... :lol:

The image in question:
Was just wondering if the dialogue was similar to the original. Would appreciate it.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Came across something a bit funny last night.

When Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma see Vegeta's pod land on Namek, Krillin says: "Gohan!!!!! Suppress your Chi!!!! He'll sense you!!!!" I guess I just thought it was funny because Krillin didn't assume Vegeta could sense Chi until he saw him without a scouter later... :lol:

The image in question:
Was just wondering if the dialogue was similar to the original. Would appreciate it.
"Gohan!!! Eliminate all signs of your presence!!! He'll realize you're there!!!"

It's a good deal more vaguely worded than what Viz changed it to, if that helps.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:23 am

I figured it'd be worded that way in the original. Thanks, Adamant.

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Tue May 10, 2016 3:25 am

To be fair, he could have been thinking vegeta might have a new scouter with him...

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 pm

A question for Dragon Team.
In the latest episode Whis says: "It appears Beerus-sama is really starting to enjoy this, He's never fought in such a restraint before"
What does he mean by that? It seems contradictory and confusing. Because the way how he says it should logically be that Beerus can finally go wild after slacking of for so long. But the word restraint is contradictory to that because he has to restrain himself.. And thus shouldn't be able to fully enjoy it. So what is it?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:A question for Dragon Team.
In the latest episode Whis says: "It appears Beerus-sama is really starting to enjoy this, He's never fought in such a restraint before"
What does he mean by that? It seems contradictory and confusing. Because the way how he says it should logically be that Beerus can finally go wild after slacking of for so long. But the word restraint is contradictory to that because he has to restrain himself.. And thus shouldn't be able to fully enjoy it. So what is it?
It's like people who impose strict challenges on themselves for video games, in order to make them more interesting.

Try a Level 1 Kingdom Hearts 2 Critical Playthrough to get the general idea.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"