Ages (Characters Throughout the Series)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

naked snake
Banned

Ages (Characters Throughout the Series)

Post by naked snake » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:40 pm

[ snipped post asking for clarification on character ages throughout the series ]

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Goku's age is stated to be 12 at the beginning of DB. After that, we have to rely on mathematics to determine his age. Piccolo's age is pretty easy to figure out, since we know when he was born. He was actually only about 8 years old when he fought Raditz.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Ages ??

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:05 pm

naked snake wrote:The whole way through the series of DB,DBZ and GT does it ever clarify Gokus age or power level or Picolos for that matter?
If you want to continue posting here, I'd highly suggest re-reading the forum rules. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:39 pm

May as well...

Goku's age goes as follows:

Landing on Earth - 0
Bump on the head - 1
Pilaf/21st Budokai/Red Ribbon - 12
22nd Budokai/Piccolo Daimao - 15
23rd Budokai - 18
Marriage/Gohan's birth - 19
Death/Saiya-jin/Namek/Freeza/SSJ - 24 (remember, he doesn't age while dead)
Androids/Cell - 29
Buu - 29 (would be 37)
Uub - 39 (would be 47)

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Well since the age questions have been answered, might as well answer the power levels.

The last time Goku's power level is ever stated is Ginyu's scouter reading, which reads him at 180 000.

Piccolo's last power reading was through Nappa's scouter, and I believe it was around 1400.

Now, obviously they both become far more powerful then their final scouter level reading indicated, but a specific 'power level' afterwords is never given. Anything beyond those readings is pure speculation.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:31 am

Son Goku's age is said to be 14 at the start of Dragon Ball, but is later to be found out as 12. But then that's most likely counting from the time he was found by Gohan...however, it's most likely that's his real age anway. So he would be 39-40 at the end of DBZ and either 45 or 50 in GT (depending on how many years you think took place between the series).
Piccolo...is just as old as Kami, I would suppose, although technically he would be younger since the god cast him out of himself once he had already matured and trained for godhood. The Piccolo we know, however, was spawned/cloned three years before the 23rd Tenkaiichi Budoukai, making him about fifteen/sixteen or so years younger than Goku. So I guess Namekians age pretty fast...with the exeption of Dende. Another one of Toriyama's inconsistencies, or just something to do with Piccolo being a clone and all? That is, if he is indeed a clone, not just an offspring.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:08 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:So I guess Namekians age pretty fast...with the exeption of Dende. Another one of Toriyama's inconsistencies, or just something to do with Piccolo being a clone and all? That is, if he is indeed a clone, not just an offspring.
There's actually a plausible explanation for the aging differences between Piccolo and Dende. Seems to me there are two primary classes of Namekians - Fighters and Healers. It's possible those in the 'Fighting' class reach their full size very quickly, so they could be ready to battle if the need was ever there. Healers wouldn't have to age as quickly, as they could preform their tasks just fine in their smaller state.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:12 am

I think that Piccolo grew up so fast because, unlike most nameks, he ate fish and stuff, so he had calories to waste. >.>;; Unless the scenes of chibi Piccolo Jr. are simply filler in the DB anime.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:46 am

I think they were.

And I think that tealsmith's explanation is the correct one (I think the same explanation is in one of the Z Dragon Books).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:45 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:I think that Piccolo grew up so fast because, unlike most nameks, he ate fish and stuff, so he had calories to waste. >.>;; Unless the scenes of chibi Piccolo Jr. are simply filler in the DB anime.
The only chibi Piccolo scene in the manga is a single panel where he curses Goku and says he'll avenge his father (next to him is the hatched egg shell).

Maybe that's why Piccolo aged so quickly: he IS Piccolo Daimao, otherwise Kami would have died when Goku killed the original Piccolo.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:32 pm

Dayspring wrote:Maybe that's why Piccolo aged so quickly: he IS Piccolo Daimao, otherwise Kami would have died when Goku killed the original Piccolo.
More like a reincarnation or something similar to that of a descendant.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:52 am

Although he calls Piccolo his father, he shares the life bond with Kami. So, I'd say he is the clone of Daimaou. He even calls himself his reincarnation at one point, but I'm pretty fuzzy.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:29 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:Although he calls Piccolo his father, he shares the life bond with Kami. So, I'd say he is the clone of Daimaou. He even calls himself his reincarnation at one point, but I'm pretty fuzzy.
Either incarnation or reincarnation. That's why I said that Piccolo is Piccolo. Hee hee. Grammatically obvious statement. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:36 pm

Wasn't it stated that Namekian years are shorter than human years (something like 125 - 150 days)? Therefore he matures quickly becuase a year for us is something along the lines of three for him, making him around 9 when he fought Goku and around 12 when he fought Radditz.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:24 pm

Caracal wrote:Wasn't it stated that Namekian years are shorter than human years (something like 125 - 150 days)?
It wasn't.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Wouldn't that mean that Piccolo is REALLy old though?
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:26 pm

Domon wrote:
Caracal wrote:Wasn't it stated that Namekian years are shorter than human years (something like 125 - 150 days)?
It wasn't.
I think it was, when they find that the Namekian DragonBalls are able to be used again in 130 days.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:26 pm

Domon wrote:
It wasn't.
Uh, yeah it was.

A Namekian year is 1/3 an Earth year (if I remember correctly). They were talking about this when making the final wishes to Porunga at the end of the Freeza saga. That's why it took under a year from the time Namek exploded to the time the Namekians left for a new planet.

Ohhhhhh! Just beat out by Rocketman! :P

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:00 pm

But the years of Namek weren't the issue here. I pointed out how Piccolo matured fast, yet Dende hadn't. I go with the idea that it's because of his warrior status.