DragonBall Z: Sagas

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

DragonBall Z: Sagas

Post by lost in thought » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:31 pm

Now available, I figured it could be helpful to make personal opinion/help topic for it, because I just came back from looking at the mess that is the GameFaqs forums for this game, and it looks like the Devil shit out socially retarded, partially cynical, only half-complete spawns.

It's really ugly at GameFaqs, so I figured this might be an apropriate place to seek intelligent opinions on the game, and not "I told you so"'s, or "Itz r s0 frezKin gayz~!!111six".

Yeah. Lets do this right, shall we?

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:50 pm

Anyone have it yet (it won't be out here in the U.K for a while).
I've sorta been bashing it too but it will be good to see the end product.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 pm

We played up through beating Vegeta on Earth, this evening. It's... uhh... it's a DBZ video in the very traditional sense.

That being... it's... uhh... yeah.

Then again, we only played that much so far. I'll comment more on it as we play through. Right now, though, I must do new animation screen-caps.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:16 pm

To be honest, the game isn't very good. I actually purchased it today... however, there are a few elements of the game I actually liked.

First and for most, being able to control Goku in the way that you do, sadly it's far too linear, and is very repeditive... The second thing I liked, was the narrated intro to each saga, however any good that the game itself managed to have was eclipsed by the hard controls, and less than unique level builds.
Although I said 'hard' to describe the controls, I do not mean the sense that they are complicated, more that once you attack your character kind of 'sticks' in the same place for a few seconds, leaving him open for damage, and with this comes you forced to try to remaneuver a barely working auto-aim system, that only seems to work best when you're flying (which oddly enough is a double tap of the X button away.) Another suitably smaller hassel I have on the control end, is tapping R1 to block, which in close quarters combat (the majority of every fight,) it really doesn't help.

Personally, I think the game isn't *that* bad, but Atari really phoned it in on this one, and provided less of the 'anime experience' they were shooting for, and more a detailless psuedo-top-down arcade. Saga's reminds me a lot of the arcade game 'Gauntlet,' which doesn't suit the series at all; so much of what made the Anime enjoyable was lost on the conversion into Sagas, and because of this were left with is something even less enjoyable than Budokai 2's "Dragon World."

When I bought this game earliar today, I so wanted to like it; the way I like the Budokai series, LOG2, and Buu's Fury, but sadly that cannot be because of this product. Even though my hopes for this title have been dashed, it wont stop me from trying to beat it...

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:16 am

This is what we call "milking the franchise." What a poor excuse for a game. If it wasn't for the fact that it has the "Dragon Ball Z" logo on it, this game would never have been made (nor would it sell).

This game involves:
Walking in a straight line and fighting 300 Saibamen (be careful now, some of them are very big!).
Boss fight.
Walking in a straight line and fighting 300 soldiers.
Boss fight.
Walking in a straight line and fighting 300 robots.
Boss fight.

All the while collecting Z coins and selling them for muscles/powers...

This is pathetic! If you're going to buy a 3rd person rpg/fighting game, at least shop around for something good (or just wait for the new Zelda). Don't fall into buying this crap just because it has the DBZ logo on it (although I wouldn't be surprised if it became a hit for that very reason).
^Originally posted by me on January 24^

I'm curious now, how much of my prediction is true?

Is the game completely linear, or is there some freedom to explore the world and such?
Is it just simple "punch enemies and repeat" style gameplay, or is there some variety and skill to the battle system?
Are there actually coins that you collect and trade for powers? If so, are they mandatory to progress the game, or just a side mission type thing?
Finally, is this game worth a purchase, or do you wish you had spent your money on something else?

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:01 am

DBW wrote: Is the game completely linear, or is there some freedom to explore the world and such?
Is it just simple "punch enemies and repeat" style gameplay, or is there some variety and skill to the battle system?
Are there actually coins that you collect and trade for powers? If so, are they mandatory to progress the game, or just a side mission type thing?
Finally, is this game worth a purchase, or do you wish you had spent your money on something else?
1.) Yes, it is completely linear.
2.) Yes, it does have the "punch enemies and repeat" formula for gameplay.
3.) Yes, it does force you to collect coins to purchase powers. Realy mundane.
4.) Yes, these coins are mandatory, just as mandatory as defeating every saibaman that comes in your area. (You can't progress, unless you do defeat them all; which is ironic because it serves no point other than to try and prolong your stay on each level.)
5.) I purchased this game, it isn't worth it, unless you want to deny how bad it is, and beat it for bragging rights. (What limited a game like this could give.)

Matthew

Post by Matthew » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:37 am

Well, crap. I will probabbly rent the game first if its so bad, and then decide if I buy it. I'm really not into giving up fiftey or so dollars just for a game that I don't even know that I'll like. If y'all say its as bad as it is, compared to Dragonball games, what would yall say is better? The old card based games(for NES, I think they were.), or this one? Believe it or not, I've enjoyed every Dragonball game I've played except for a couple. That DOES include Final Bout. I spent so many hours level up my guy in that game... I Really should load it up, and see what level he was... Ahh... Memories....
None right now, wait till I put one in later.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:34 pm

The only good thing was the animation...

it's just repeating the thing over and over. The graphics aren't event all that great either. I'm just thankfull I didn't drop down the $50 for it. I might pick it up for the animation when it goes down in price.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:15 pm

To be honest Matthew, I would say it's *worse* than Final Bout, or even Ultimate Battle 22. Even though you like Final Bout, I can't see anyone liking this... there are just too many faults to even enjoy it.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 pm

In it's defence however... sorta. Jedi Power Battles was full of bugs... but with two players it could be a blast. =D Of course... JPB this game is not.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Got a DBZ:Sagas Review for the PS2 here.

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/r ... 3708.shtml
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:33 pm

At this point we don't really need one Sebastian, unless you find one giving it a 1, or a -1 (out of 10,) since it's quite obvious that it will recieve atleast a 4/10, or a 1/5, and at this point a 'review' doesn't even matter since almost all of the magazines available are completely biased against DragonBall in the first place.

But if you want to look up reviews, since we know this game is trash, find me a 1/5 or less, and or 2/10 or less. (You know what I mean by grading scales right? Most magazines use a review score of a possible 10 pts.)

That is your mission if you choose to accept it...
...this tape will self destruct in 6 seconds.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:54 am

Please God, let this game be reviewed on X-Play! If anyone will give it a fair review, it's Adam Sessler! :P

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:38 am

DBW wrote:Please God, let this game be reviewed on X-Play! If anyone will give it a fair review, it's Adam Sessler! :P
*evil smirk* heh heh heh... YEAH! Sessler is the final judgement of ANY game!

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:39 am

I bought this game about nine hours ago and I've already beat it on hard. And that pretty much completes the whole game. I was hoping the "secret" characters would have something more to them like their own levels or something rather than just all appear at once with nothing special about them. Oh well, atleast the fifty dollars I spent on it gave me something to do for half the day. :P

I hear most people are disappointed by this game, yet it's selling quite well. I wonder why? It must just be the magic of the DBZ logo. Make a game with DBZ in the title, slap Goku's face on there, and you've got a million seller. :lol: I wonder if that'll inspire a sagas 2? If so, they'll need to improve everything quite a bit.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:35 pm

Metrite wrote: I hear most people are disappointed by this game, yet it's selling quite well. I wonder why? It must just be the magic of the DBZ logo. Make a game with DBZ in the title, slap Goku's face on there, and you've got a million seller. I wonder if that'll inspire a sagas 2? If so, they'll need to improve everything quite a bit.
Yes, a lot of people are, myself included. You already knew that though, didn't you?

Anyway, yeah it's a dissapointing game that should have been bargain binned' from the start, $50.00 is far too much to pay for a game of this class, especially when the latest "ESPN" sports titles sell for $20.00 new, and have a strong fanbase. If they do make a sequel, 'improve' isn't an option, they should just send the work on over to Dimps, being the guys who created the Budokai series thus far, and the series to date has been quite good, as well as popular, or even WebFoot who did the handheld series Legacy of Goku, and we know LOG2 and Buu's Fury are quite good games... with that said- Atari really took a chance on using this "Avalanche Software" and for this they got a poorly made game.

At the end of the day, when a companies track record looks like this:
  • Dreamcast:
    Prince of Persia

Game Boy Advance:
    Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams

GameCube:

Genesis:
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Nintendo 64:
    Off Road Challenge
    Rampage 2: Universal Tour
    Rugrats in Paris

PlayStation:
    NHL Open Ice
    Rampage 2: Universal Tour
    Rugrats in Paris

PlayStation 2:
    25 to Life

SNES:
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Xbox:
    25 to Life
You might be inclined to rethink your prospect of hiring them.
(Developed games list from: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/12634.html)

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:02 pm

I think this is just another YYH Dark Tournament, with Falcouner music and edited clips. Its worth maybe 1 or 2 rents if you really want to beat it. They do some stupid things with the plot though, like having Goku fight on Yardrat, and prototype androids running around Trunks' future. Oh, and get this. "The other dimension" is back. Freeza utters "I'll send you to the next dimension" several times when fighting him on Namek.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:40 pm

Well I just rented it, so I'm about to play it. Problem is, I haven't unpacked any of my game consoles or anything, let alone set them up, after the move.

I think I know it's going to suck, but that's not going to stop me from playing it...
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:59 pm

IGN gave it a 4 out of 10. Ouch.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:15 am

Aw c'mon man. Sagas aint that bad. It could have used some improvements, a lot of imrovements at that but still, at least we finally get to hear Kaio-Ken (which should have been part of the game) and not Kayoken.