What's Your Favourite Season of DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

What's Your Favourite Season of DBZ

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:53 am

For me it's a tie between seasons 6 and 8.

I'm going by Funimations Seasons by the way. :wink:

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DinoChow
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What's Your Favourite Season of DBZ

Post by DinoChow » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:10 am

Well, since they're cropped and saturated to the point of brutal eye-assault, I'd say none of the "Seasons" are my favorite. :D

But I am fond of Dragon Box One (the Saiya-jin arc is so perfectly done), and the Cell Games (DBox Five), though I can't quite say what's my favorite. I love all of it pretty equally...except the Buu arc, which is still awesome, if drastically less so than everything before.
Visit my entertainment website, "Jonathan Lack at the Movies," for reviews of film, TV, music and more! You can also find my work in the weekly Thursday print edition of "Your Hub" in The Denver Post!
http://www.jonathanlack.com

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:For me it's a tie between seasons 6 and 8.

Which FUNimation "seasons"? The Toonami broadcast "seasons", or the orange brick "seasons"?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:30 am

Which Funimation seasons?

On TV, there were six.

On DVD, there are nine.

But really, there are no fucking seasons of Dragon Ball Z. If we're going by seasons of the English dub, I'll go with every season of Kai.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 am

Sorry for the mix-up guys. I'm talking about the episodes contained within each Orange Brick. Nothing to do with the dubs or the remastering, just the episodes.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:39 am

No worries. I thought it was easy enough to understand.

I don't know exactly which episodes go into each Season. Since you do, I'll just go by arc and you'll probably know which season I'm talking about:

Right now, through the Dragon Box releases, I own up to just before the Cell Game. I tend to watch Dragon Box 2 the most, which has the portion where Goku fights Reacoome, Jees, and Baata. I'd have to say that's my favorite part, with what's probably "Season 1" being a close second.

Lately, though, I've seen those portions so much that I tend to watch DBox 4 the most, which contains most of the Artificial Human stuff up to just before the Cell Game. I'd probably watch even later into the series more often if those DBoxes had already been out.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 am

Season 1. Awesome plot twists, shocking and tragic revelations, and an incredible clash between Goku and Vegeta. The saiyan arc has grown to be my favourite out of the entire Z series.

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Tie between Saiyan arc and Cell Games.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Namek arc (not necessarily the Frieza portion) and Kid Buu arc.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:For me it's a tie between seasons 6 and 8.

Why do people have to go by these "seasons"? I don't own them and they don't make sense. It makes it hard to say which my favourite is, since you're basically asking which VOLUME I like most (rather than the episodes that are contained within). All I know is that "season" two had the worst looking video, so that would be my least favourite.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Meethinks you guys are making this way more difficult than it actually is.

Anyway, I'd have to go with Season 6.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:27 am

I'm with linkdude. As someone who didn't purchase the orange bricks beyond the first two for review, I have no knowledge whatsoever of what episodes they even roughly contain without looking at the DVD Guide on my own website.

When I hear "season" or "FUNimation" and "DBZ" in the same sentence, I still think back to the only time I've ever had that be even remotely relevant to me -- the syndication + Cartoon Network run of FUNimation's English dub.

No-one's making things "difficult" other than FUNimation. Again, remember that this website and forum may speak English, but the world hardly revolves around FUNimation and their North American release. Ask a fan from Chile what their favorite "season" is, and they'll probably just give you a rough story arc they like the most.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 am

23rd TB through the Freeza Arc.

Reasoning:

- For some reason I prefer Goku as a character when he's physically an adult (probably because that's how I was introduced to the character), and the 23rd TB is where he begins to appear as such.

- The SSJ transformation is introduced at the very end of the Freeza arc, but it has yet to be whored out and abused, and essentially decide who's worth anything in the story.
Last edited by Zephyr on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Winter.

Oh you mean saga? Well that would be the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai saga. As of now at least, I'm kinda sick of Super Saiyans.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:46 pm

The Saiya-jin arc. It's just amazing.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:16 pm

The 22nd Budokai Tenkaichi to the end of the Piccolo Daimao Arc. In a close second place would be the Pilaf Arc.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Ranmarotto

Post by Ranmarotto » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:53 pm

I can decide between these three-- But I most liked the Saiyajin Arc, the Freeza Arc and the Buu Arcs. Sorry if that's about half the series.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:56 pm

If you're going by FUNimation's season sets, I will have to say season 1.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 am

I'm not sure which FUNimation "Season" is my favorite, but my favorite arc would be a tie between the Namek arc and the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai.

Reasoning: Freeza is one of the best villains in the entire series, in my opinion, and as for the 23rd Budokai, I really liked Goku VS Piccolo, and not to mention Goku's "proposal" to Chi-Chi. Goku was so silly, even as a young adult.
So mondo lame.