Toei Officially Acknowledges Yamamoto's Kai Rip-Offs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Toei Officially Acknowledges Yamamoto's Kai Rip-Offs

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Toei Animation officially acknowledged Kenji Yamamoto's rip-offs in the score of Dragon Ball Kai. They are going to replace every rip-off piece used in the episodes with other music.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/pdf/110309.pdf

This is obviously a piece of news related to Kai and probably the topic shoud have been posted in the Kai section, but since I thought this problem could spread to the entire Dragon Ball franchise, I posted this here. If it's inappropriate, please move the topic.

*Edit: These are probably the rip-offs Toei mentions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqo-mrU4ak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcPv6olllQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0CP4kGbxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI0DIr5btss
Last edited by kei17 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledged Yamamoto's Rip-off

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 am

Wow this is interesting. :shock:
I didn't know there were rip-offs and I'm surprised someone who does this for a living would do something like that.

Does it say which songs are rip-offs?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CODii
Regular

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledged Yamamoto's Rip-off

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 am

I haven't really bothered to follow Kai, so I'm totally in the dark. Can someone please fill me in? What "rip-offs?"

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledged Yamamoto's Rip-Off

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am

Maybe this is the reason of Kai's cancellation! Is it?
CODii wrote:I haven't really bothered to follow Kai, so I'm totally in the dark. Can someone please fill me in? What "rip-offs?"
"rip-offs" means copying.

Here's a topic about it.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledged Yamamoto's Rip-Offs

Post by penguintruth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 am

What? How exactly do they plan to replace the music? Are they going to get Yamamoto to do new stuff? Have Kikuchi come in? New prints of the DVDs and Blu-Rays? Are they refunding the already purchased ones? Are they cancelling the CD releases? What about international releases?

This seems like a really desperate gimmick to drum up more business for the franchise.

If they recalled all of the shows that had music that was "ripped off" from other composers, a good number of anime wouldn't even be on the market (just look at all those "Yoko Kanno Plagarizes" comparison videos).

Didn't Yamamoto mostly rip off himself?

Rip offs or not, it's a lot better than Faulconer's garbage.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:29 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Maybe this is the reason of Kai's cancellation! Is it?
I doubt it, but I guess this is the very reason of Nicktoons' sudden cancellation of the new episodes.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 am

Kind of funny how he ripped off Terminator music for the Cell arc considering Future Trunks and the jinzoningen were partly inspired by the old Terminator movies. It's wrong to rip off other compositions, but that's still an amusing song to pick considering.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 am

kei17 wrote:
I doubt it, but I guess this is the very reason of Nicktoons' sudden cancellation of the new episodes.
But there was a new episode tonight and there's one tomorrow, too. They've already shipped Part 4. I doubt Funimation gives a fuck.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 am

penguintruth wrote:
kei17 wrote:
But there was a new episode tonight and there's one tomorrow, too. They've already shipped Part 4. I doubt Funimation gives a fuck.
So how about the score in that new episode?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:35 am

I didn't notice any changes.

Can I get a Schemen?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:45 am

Are you serious? Those are some really good themes. And isn't the composer known for doing this with the Budokai games? He did his own versions of Earth Wind and Fire songs along with some Tower of Power songs in those games.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 am

So are these going to affect re-airings, home video releases, or both? Reminds me of what happened with Final Fantasy VIII. The demo that came with Brave Fencer Musashi featured the Dollet raiding scene with a completely different song than what we would eventually hear in the final release. Rumor has it that the song was changed for its uncanny resemblance to The Rock's main theme..
Last edited by Levlik on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:09 am

When I first heard "A new foe raises his head" (Track 7 ) I KNEW it was something from termiator, but I franklly I thought it was paying homage to the terminator franchise because robots, androids, and so on.

Sad thing though, I like his track more than the original.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 am

More reason why the entire soundtrack should have just been replaced with "Formidable Warrior - The Saiyan".

Like Guile's theme, it fits every situation.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:28 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
CODii wrote:I haven't really bothered to follow Kai, so I'm totally in the dark. Can someone please fill me in? What "rip-offs?"
"rip-offs" means copying.

Here's a topic about it.
I know what "rip-offs" means. I was just wondering what exactly had been ripped off. Thanks to kei17 for posting the links. Those are ridiculously similar.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:32 am

My guess is that they're going to stop the production of the current Blu-ray boxes and DVDs, pull all the copies that are still in stores, then print them again with the replacement score and give replacements to anyone who already bought the Blu-ray boxes and DVDs and then do the same with "Soundtrack 3". I'm guessing that it will be Yamamoto who will be doing the new scores

And FUNi will do the same with "Part 4".
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 am

Kind of funny how he ripped off Terminator music for the Cell arc considering Future Trunks and the jinzoningen were partly inspired by the old Terminator movies. It's wrong to rip off other compositions, but that's still an amusing song to pick considering.
Which is even funnier when you think about the fact that Terminator itself is actually a rip off, which James Cameron himself admitted (bragged about).
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:39 am

Thus making the copies with the "rip-off" music more valuable by being (relatively) rare collector's items.

And selling more soundtracks with the new music.

Thus giving Toei more profit, funding the later continuation of DB Kai.

KEIKAKU DOORII.

Can I get a Schemen?

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:41 am

penguintruth wrote: But there was a new episode tonight and there's one tomorrow, too. They've already shipped Part 4. I doubt Funimation gives a fuck.
I doesn't matter if Funimation "gives a fuck." Especially now that Toei has come out and acknowledged this, they could stand to face serious litigation if they release the offending songs.