GT- A Viewing Experience.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

GT- A Viewing Experience.

Post by Snail » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:17 am

Consider this a blog in regards to my commentary of the series.

This will mark my first time in viewing Dragonball GT in sequential order! Prior to this, I've probably seen a good 40 episodes of the series. I've also spent the past three-to-four years slowly creeping through the entirety of the Dragonball, and Dragonball Z franchise from start to finish; just something I've been trying to scratch off my bucket list in the past decade.

It must be noted that I'm not trying to make an incredibly insightful review of the series, but instead I'll be keeping up with some daily to weekly ramblings on what I've seen; initial thoughts if you will. I hope that I can provide for a somewhat entertaining read..or atleast something to give the fine folks here at daizex to digest. I'm bound to surface questions and discussions as well.

So here I go. There's a lot of baggage going into this series, but I've taken an astoundingly long break from any taste of GT, so I'm going into this with an open mind.

Without further ado, my thoughts on the first two episodes.

Ep - 1: "A Devastating Wish" / "The Mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Son Goku Becomes A Child!?"
Episode one starts things off quite nicely. Great animation, and a fun return from Pilaf and co. Goku zapped into a child again? Alright, it's a fun twist..I'll take it..the Black star balls?....not so much. I find it absurd as to how the deities of planet Earth are absolutely clueless all the damned time. Some housekeeper you are Mr.Popo. Hilarity ensues as Son Goku interacts with the cast again. It's not a jarring change from where the series left off in Z, which is a plus. Had a smile on my face the entire episode, despite it's tiny blunders the episode is 'feel-good', and refreshing.

Ep - 2: "Pan Blasts Off" / "I Am The Leader! Pan Flies Into Space!!"
The second episode is more of the same, except with a terrible downgrade in animation. Also, I thought the sub plot with the kidnappers was a waste of time to be blunt. Pan starts the ignition, and the spaceship zooms off into space. If I recall, fans criticized the misuse (or lack of use) in the character of Goten. From a technical viewpoint, it was a smart decision on Toei's part, in benefit of miss Masako Nozawa. Other than carrying a slight suspense as to who the main crew could be, this episode is surprisingly bland.

Ep - 3: "The Ultimate Moneygrubbers!! Imegga, Planet Of Merchants"
The gang is forced to land on the merchant planet of Imegga. I find it funny how the crew is so at ease upon entering a new planet. Strangely, there's no indication as to how they deemed the environment safe to tread but I'll assume that was all done off-screen. The merchant planet this episode is set on is fun, I feel like I'm watching an RPG. Full of problems that can't be solved with a random power up and flurry of ki-blasts; hijinks are bound to ensue within the next few episodes. I like it. On a random note, it's interesting how the ost actually makes the series feel older than it's predecessor, Dragonball Z.

Ep - 4: "Wanted!! Desperado Son Goku!?"
So we're introduced to the first batch of villains! Gotta say, these are some strange and loopy character designs. It seems that characters in space in the Dragonball-verse usually borderline on cross-dressing a lot of the time. Goku and co. embark on a goofy reconnaissance mission that was quite entertaining and it seems the gang will soon face their first 'serious' battle against Don Kee's top bodyguard Redgic!

Ep - 5: Finding a Strong Guy!! The Bodyguard Redjic

I've made mention of this before already, but the series really does harken the 90s style of RPGs. Even the musical element of the production is abound with this flair. Was this a trend perhaps in the mid 90s for anime? In any case, some of the 'real action' starts up as this side story comes to a close. Well, not really, but it certainly plays off better than how I remembered it. Goku shows off with a Super Saiyan transformation, and the baddies are forced to abolish their rule over the inhabitants of Imegga. It's a nice three-parter story, and it's fitting that the audience shouldn't feel any suspense throughout. To elaborate, the story is written with the consciousness that Goku and co. can easily solve the problem through fists, but we're subjected to something that is nice and light; some fodder for amusement I suppose. After all, we're not supposed to take things seriously..yet. So, I'm expecting more of this fluff. I say bring it on.

Ep - 6: It's Going to Hurt?! Goku the Dentist

And on with the show! The gang locates a Black Star Dragonball, and reaches their destination. From the first bit, I can already tell that this would turn out to be an episode of joyful entertainment. Goku is just too awesome. I'm not saying anything new here in pointing out Goku's incredibly carefree attitude, but it's hard not to make mention. He literally laughs throughout the entirety of the journey thus far; it's purely a vacation for our hero. This episode is great since it actually emulates what we see from the series' intros and outros. Overall, a fun episode.

Ep - 7: Beloved Honey?! Trunks is Betrothed

The second Black Star Dragonball is discovered! A throwback to the Oolong arc from Dragonball. Unfortunately, Toei fails to produce a throwback with a little more 'oomph'. The planet's inhabitants are poorly designed, and the appearance of Zunama, the 'earthquake monster' is dull. The only amusing tidbit out of this episode involves Trunks' makeover (reminds me of when my girlfriend slapped makeup on my face, equipped with extended lashes). Speaking of which, I've only just realized how much the character of Trunks has evolved. The contrast is quite apparant, as he's grown from a brash and wild youngster into a much more cautious and timid individual. Personally, I'm fine with that but I do wonder what the general fan's perception on what the outcome on the character is. The ordeal presented in this episode falls under a rather disappointing concept, of which will overstay it's welcome as it ends with a cliffhanger.
Last edited by Snail on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: GT- A Viewing Experience.

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:01 am

Excellent thread! I'm looking forward to seeing a first time viewer's episode by episode review like you're doing. I'd like to see what one thinks at the end of each episode.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Terrible animation aside, I really enjoy the second episode. Both Pan and Goku's subplots are genuinely amusing. How can you not love the kidnappers calling Vegeta for ransom?

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Are you watching the english or japanese dub?

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Scarz wrote:japanese dub
:twisted:
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Scarz wrote:Are you watching the english or japanese dub?
Japanese. I decided back in 06/07 to sit my ass down and go through the series in it's entirety through it's original Japanese audio. It's been a slow crawl, but I've finally reached GT! Mind you, I've actually seen a good chunk of Dragonball GT before, however it was not through sequential order. I've also stayed away from any discussion or clips in regards to the final bits of the series, which from what I can gather, I'm in for a treat.

*edit

"The Ultimate Moneygrubbers!! Imegga, Planet Of Merchants"
The gang is forced to land on the merchant planet of Imegga. I find it funny how the crew is so at ease upon entering a new planet. Strangely, there's no indication as to how they deemed the environment safe to tread but I'll assume that was all done off-screen. The merchant planet this episode is set on is fun, I feel like I'm watching an RPG. Full of problems that can't be solved with a random power up and flurry of ki-blasts; hijinks are bound to ensue within the next few episodes. I like it. On a random note, it's interesting how the ost actually makes the series feel older than it's predecessor, Dragonball Z.

"Wanted!! Desperado Son Goku!?"
So we're introduced to the first batch of villains! Gotta say, these are some strange and loopy character designs. It seems that characters in space in the Dragonball-verse usually borderline on cross-dressing a lot of the time. Goku and co. embark on a goofy reconnaissance mission that was quite entertaining and it seems the gang will soon face their first 'serious' battle against Don Kee's top bodyguard Redgic!
Last edited by Snail on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Snail wrote:
Scarz wrote:Are you watching the english or japanese dub?
Japanese.
Traitor! I'm just kidding. I'm currently re-watching GT myself (the english dub) without skipping through the episodes this time around. I can't say I enjoyed the first few episodes as much as you did. Personally there were just to many annoying little issues I had with the story that stopped me from really liking the episodes (and it has nothing to do with the english dub I assure). Maybe if I watch the japanese dub it would be more enjoyable to watch but I don't think that's the case. One day I will watch GT in it's original Japanese dub but I'm going to stick with english version for now.

EDIT: *Watches ep. 6* Now that I think about it, maybe I should be watching the Japanese dub. I can't stand the bad puns.
Last edited by Scarz on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

This seems like a really fun thread. I look forwars to seeing more of your mini-reviews. And yeah, Dragon Ball GT comes off as a huge 90s RPG.

And yey! Your using my episode title translations, lol. I was kinda surprised to see them here, XD.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I don't know why, but I find it more interesting reading what someone thought about a series like GT episode by episode than Dragonball and Dragonball Z.

Yeah, nice reviews.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Snail wrote:I find it funny how the crew is so at ease upon entering a new planet. Strangely, there's no indication as to how they deemed the environment safe to tread
Son Gohan and Kuririn did the same thing when they arrived on Namek. When Bulma was checking to see if the environment was safe to go out, Gohan and Kuririn had already walked out, leading Bulma to get mad at them.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Yay more mini-reviews!

Ep - 5: Finding a Strong Guy!! The Bodyguard Redjic

I've made mention of this before already, but the series really does harken the 90s style of RPGs. Even the musical element of the production is abound with this flair. Was this a trend perhaps in the mid 90s for anime? In any case, some of the 'real action' starts up as this side story comes to a close. Well, not really, but it certainly plays off better than how I remembered it. Goku shows off with a Super Saiyan transformation, and the baddies are forced to abolish their rule over the inhabitants of Imegga. It's a nice three-parter story, and it's fitting that the audience shouldn't feel any suspense throughout. To elaborate, the story is written with the consciousness that Goku and co. can easily solve the problem through fists, but we're subjected to something that is nice and light; some fodder for amusement I suppose. After all, we're not supposed to take things seriously..yet. So, I'm expecting more of this fluff. I say bring it on.

Ep - 6: It's Going to Hurt?! Goku the Dentist

And on with the show! The gang locates a Black Star Dragonball, and reaches their destination. From the first bit, I can already tell that this would turn out to be an episode of joyful entertainment. Goku is just too awesome. I'm not saying anything new here in pointing out Goku's incredibly carefree attitude, but it's hard not to make mention. He literally laughs throughout the entirety of the journey thus far; it's purely a vacation for our hero. This episode is great since it actually emulates what we see from the series' intros and outros. Overall, a fun episode.

PS - should I start sprucing up the thread with images?

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Snail wrote:PS - should I start sprucing up the thread with images?
I like it as-is. Your mini-reviews are kept to a nice and constrained pace.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Snail wrote: PS - should I start sprucing up the thread with images?
Yeah, it seems fine as it is. If anything, maybe add the reviews to your first post for better organization?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 am

Great thread idea. I too have not seen GT yet... never had any real interest in it to tell you the truth. So the only exposure to it I've had is through GT story elements being in the video games. Last summer I watched all of DB subbed, followed by the three current (at the time) Z Dragon Boxes. After the 7th Box is out, I'll continue into GT for the first time. This gives me a good idea of how someone in a similar situation reacts to it. I don't expect to find GT to be super awesome but I'm hoping I can tolerate it as a stand alone story.

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:21 am

Suggestions noted.

Ep - 7: Beloved Honey?! Trunks is Betrothed

The second Black Star Dragonball is discovered! A throwback to the Oolong arc from Dragonball. Unfortunately, Toei fails to produce a throwback with a little more 'oomph'. The planet's inhabitants are poorly designed, and the appearance of Zunama, the 'earthquake monster' is dull. The only amusing tidbit out of this episode involves Trunks' makeover (reminds me of when my girlfriend slapped makeup on my face, equipped with extended lashes). Speaking of which, I've only just realized how much the character of Trunks has evolved. The contrast is quite apparant, as he's grown from a brash and wild youngster into a much more cautious and timid individual. Personally, I'm fine with that but I do wonder what the general fan's perception on what the outcome on the character is. The ordeal presented in this episode falls under a rather disappointing concept, of which will overstay it's welcome as it ends with a cliffhanger.
obiwan23s wrote:Great thread idea. I too have not seen GT yet... never had any real interest in it to tell you the truth. So the only exposure to it I've had is through GT story elements being in the video games. Last summer I watched all of DB subbed, followed by the three current (at the time) Z Dragon Boxes. After the 7th Box is out, I'll continue into GT for the first time. This gives me a good idea of how someone in a similar situation reacts to it. I don't expect to find GT to be super awesome but I'm hoping I can tolerate it as a stand alone story.
As long as you go into the story with an open mind, the series is quite enjoyable.

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:00 am

An overdue review?! Fear not!

Ep - 8: Even Goku Gets Hit!! Full-Force Whisker Power

Current troublemaker Zunama is written with dialogue of which includes the usage of the term 'mazu' often. I did a little search on the net and discovered that 'mazu' is used in Japanese as an adverb akin to 'now', or 'anyway'. An interesting little tid-bit that is not directly related to the series; I also stumbled upon the meaning of 'mazu' in Vietnamese, of which is the name for the indigenous goddess of the sea of whom is said: protects fishermen and sailors. Zunama it seems, is the opposite in comparison. Back to the episode, Trunks is taken away by Zunama and the gang goes into search. It's nice to see Goku using his nose to sense Trunks' presence, a great touch that harkens back to Goku's roots in Dragonball. Our heroes eventually engage with a now drunken-Zunama, and it is revealed that this beast is a fraud. Zunama's home within the volcanic mountain erupts, and Goku saves the day. Another Kamehameha triumphant! Overall, a very bland side quest for the second ball. However, the ending was quite a surprise, as the heroes' second Dragon Ball is whisked away by a strange alien being.. donning a red jumpsuit. Seriously, the designs for GT villains are pretty horrendous.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 am

Glad that you seen to be enjoying it somewhat so far. I'm waiting for you to get to the next arc. In my opinion GT got pretty good from there on.