DBZ: Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi (Pre-Release Discussion)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: DBZ: Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi (Pre-Release Discussion)

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Aside from the extreme lack of supers Android ultimates, the Gotenks fight looked great. Why does the roster look sooo tiny?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:33 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Why does the roster look sooo tiny?
Because it might be? Dunno, don't care.

Seeing how we know the gameplay is repetitive and the same for every character, the only thing I care about is the roster. I already know they've cut characters, but unless they wow me with whatever new they are adding back in and can bring it close to the total we had in RB2 for the final product, I don't even really want to talk about it... Right now, as of that latest video, we have the same number of base slots as we did for RB1. Some character may have been made transformations (Majin Vegeta added to Vegeta, or Ultimate Gohan added to Teen Gohan), but we also still see some base forms missing as well. If this will represent the final product, I don't know, but right now, I'm not happy and I'll be keeping my money. Rather go buy Sagas...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:39 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Titan wrote:More precisely it is the outfit he was wearing when Goku became SSJ3 which is different from the last one.
Kinda, its technically a new outfit since its a mixture of them if you base it off the anime. When he saved Gohan from Buu, the outfit is blue, has a short "skirt" and a white cape. Then, there was the green and brown/orange one with the long "skirt" from the SS3 transformation, and then his Saiyan Arc green pants and no shirt when avoiding Super Buu's genocide attack.

This animation looks to be using the colors from when he saved Gohan on the outfit from the SS3 transformation...
If you exclude the colours, the outfits are different:
1-the capes are different

2-the size of the skirts

3-the last one has sleeves and boots

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This animation looks to be using the colors from when he saved Gohan on the outfit from the SS3 transformation.
That's true!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:46 pm

Titan wrote:If you exclude the colours, the outfits are different:
I'm aware, I just figured discussing the colors and skirt size would be enough to get my point across. Every characters outfits that tend to look the same to the casual viewer almost always have differences that people don't notice (like Goku's boots gaining laces and then swapping the colors), but I typically obsess over said details because I strive for accuracy when I'm drawing them.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Ah, I'm glad to see they're removing some of the more redundant forms (base Cell Games Gohan, for example). They could probably do the same with base teen Gohan, although I'd prefer keeping Ultimate Gohan separate.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Why don't people want base forms?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:53 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Why don't people want base forms?
Because there's no reason to have them. Child Gohan is a base form, there's no need for the other two Gohan to have base forms when they can spend that time and money on other characters. Heck, Boo arc Gohan could probably go without his first Super Saiyan form. Since there's only one Gokuu, Trunks, and Vegeta now they should keep their base forms, though.
She/Her
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Because there's no reason to have them. Child Gohan is a base form, there's no need for the other two Gohan to have base forms when they can spend that time and money on other characters. Heck, Boo arc Gohan could probably go without his first Super Saiyan form. Since there's only one Gokuu, Trunks, and Vegeta now they should keep their base forms, though.
One of the worst ideas IMO. It removes my freedom to play the game and enact the scenarios I want on the battle field. I always play matches with at least some kind of brief story idea in my head, and removing the option to drop to base form, if I so desire, irks me to no end. They've already limited the combat to pretty much the same repetitive QTE with a couple of free choice punches here and there...no reason for them not to be able to put a bunch of skins over the models in a game that is mostly prerendered events anyway. I get that they made a lot of changes to other aspects of the game, but they already had a 100 models done, all they basically had to do was reshade them...which is basically nothing seeing how they already did a ton of work on costumes and hairstyles for the Create-A-Character. I bet you I'd be able to make a base Gohan from the Cell Arc in the CaC (though with a tail >.>), so why couldn't they just make the official character's hair black for a base form?
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:00 pm

But almost every base form has a fight in what should be a complete story mode. And now that I think about it too, every WILL play basically the same. Looks like skill and timing will be replaced by strategy. :/

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:01 pm

I want base forms even if they were useless in the series simply for the sake of completeness.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Exactly. Teen Gohan fought Base Goku, adult Gohan fought Dabura, Trunks and Goten fought eachother, And Goku And Vegeta fought plenty of people in base forms.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Because there's no reason to have them. Child Gohan is a base form, there's no need for the other two Gohan to have base forms when they can spend that time and money on other characters. Heck, Boo arc Gohan could probably go without his first Super Saiyan form. Since there's only one Gokuu, Trunks, and Vegeta now they should keep their base forms, though.
But they should have kept Goku & Vegeta SSJ4...
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
One of the worst ideas IMO. It removes my freedom to play the game and enact the scenarios I want on the battle field. I always play matches with at least some kind of brief story idea in my head, and removing the option to drop to base form, if I so desire, irks me to no end. They've already limited the combat to pretty much the same repetitive QTE with a couple of free choice punches here and there...no reason for them not to be able to put a bunch of skins over the models in a game that is mostly prerendered events anyway. I get that they made a lot of changes to other aspects of the game, but they already had a 100 models done, all they basically had to do was reshade them...which is basically nothing seeing how they already did a ton of work on costumes and hairstyles for the Create-A-Character. I bet you I'd be able to make a base Gohan from the Cell Arc in the CaC (though with a tail >.>), so why couldn't they just make the official character's hair black for a base form?
It's not at simple as just recoloring the hair and eyes. They'll have to add in base Gohan's fighting style, too, which takes away time and effort they can place elsewhere. Gohan never even uses that form for fighting outside of the the Boujack film.

Base Cell arc Gohan is in six or seven other games. Removing him here isn't a big deal.
LeprikanGT wrote:But almost every base form has a fight in what should be a complete story mode. And now that I think about it too, every WILL play basically the same. Looks like skill and timing will be replaced by strategy. :/
It's not going to be a complete story mode. These things never are, espicially with the limited time and budget these games get.
She/Her
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It's not at simple as just recoloring the hair and eyes. They'll have to add in base Gohan's fighting style, too, which takes away time and effort they can place elsewhere. Gohan never even uses that form for fighting outside of the the Boujack film.
Have you been following the game, this is Ultimate Tenkaichi...what fighting style? They can just use the same animations like the did in in the previous games. Nothing new required, asside from a couple of punching/kicking/charging animations (all which could be used from SS Gohan), base Gohan is going to do is the exact same prerended stuff as Goku, Vegeta, Buu, Cell, and EVERY other character will do with the same chasing, smashing, blur combos, and rapid flurry of hits for the "Increase Ki QTE" or the "Increase Spirit QTE".
JulieYBM wrote:Base Cell arc Gohan is in six or seven other games. Removing him here isn't a big deal.
In your opinion, sure...

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:44 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Titan wrote:If you exclude the colours, the outfits are different:
I'm aware, I just figured discussing the colors and skirt size would be enough to get my point across. Every characters outfits that tend to look the same to the casual viewer almost always have differences that people don't notice (like Goku's boots gaining laces and then swapping the colors), but I typically obsess over said details because I strive for accuracy when I'm drawing them.
I also think details are important.Personally,i'm surprised that finally Ten is wearing this outfit.Toriyama did a great job designing this one.Both are very cool. 8)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:44 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It's not at simple as just recoloring the hair and eyes. They'll have to add in base Gohan's fighting style, too, which takes away time and effort they can place elsewhere. Gohan never even uses that form for fighting outside of the the Boujack film.
Have you been following the game, this is Ultimate Tenkaichi...what fighting style? They can just use the same animations like the did in in the previous games. Nothing new required, asside from a couple of punching/kicking/charging animations (all which could be used from SS Gohan), base Gohan is going to do is the exact same prerended stuff as Goku, Vegeta, Buu, Cell, and EVERY other character will do with the same chasing, smashing, blur combos, and rapid flurry of hits for the "Increase Ki QTE" or the "Increase Spirit QTE".
Of course I've been following. Maybe not as closely as others, but I've followed closely enough to know that they've outright stated they have removed characters. Obviously this was for a reason, beingthat they didn't want to bother adding in base Gohan and they didn't think anyone would care. "Who is going to refuse to buy the game because we've removed extraneous forms of a character that has been in dozens of games?"
JulieYBM wrote:Base Cell arc Gohan is in six or seven other games. Removing him here isn't a big deal.
In your opinion, sure...
Well, I think we already established that.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Budokai 3 had 40 something characters and it was a great game. I really wish people stop crying about not having 100+ characters, it seems like most fans don't like any DBZ game that does not play the Sparking series or have a huge section of characters since 2006 or 2007. Fighting games with a huge section of fighting are always end up being broken or unbalanced, like Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for example. I personally never been a big fan of the 3rd Sparking game, it seems like the games have been hit or miss since then to me. I hope this game will be a improvement over them.

Also on the character section screen, I saw more blocks after the create a character section. Maybe DLC character blocks?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:05 pm

The more characters the more fun I will have on the long run. It's as easy as that. It gets boring rather quickly when having less characters to choose from. Also the frustrating thing isn't the fact that there are so less characters this specific time but the fact that they add characters AND THEN remove them again. That is the thing that makes me rage inside of me.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:07 pm

What's uuuuup!!! Playing Japanese version of Sparking! Meteor and keepin' my money........ :(
Well, RB2 had Hatchihyakku, some never before seen playable characters and 30 minute renewed story (minus the story mode, but galaxy mode was prety refreshing fun for me, altough when you unlocked everything major, it wasn't that much fun). What this game offers other than remade scenes from anime, smaller and based on anime/manga incomplete roster (smaller than RB2, what I heard!!) and character creator advertised trough characters made from mixture of previously used ones based on DB Heroes, which really don't excites me at all by design.
Only thing that will make me buying this game will be Bardock as Super Saiyan and Chilled with henchman (That one looked pretty awesome in the short comic) + Japanese score for Europe used in the series.....

PS: For fanatical defenders, yeah, I'm a major bitcher and I will even nitpick count of Mr. Satan's hair on his chest!!
InfernalVegito wrote:The more characters the more fun I will have on the long run. It's as easy as that. It gets boring rather quickly when having less characters to choose from. Also the frustrating thing isn't the fact that there are so less characters this specific time but the fact that they add characters AND THEN remove them again. That is the thing that makes me rage inside of me.
I'm with you brotha!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Finally Goku's got his Gi with the symbol on it! This is the first game to get that right! Best of all it's the one that says his name on it which is the most versatile, as in, it could be used whatever part in the series. It's also respectable to Kame-sennin!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada