Sword skill

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Sword skill

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Wed May 04, 2011 5:48 am

I realize this may not be qualified as in-universe, but, since Cross Epoch exists, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Although extremely proficient with a blade, how do you think Yajirobe would do in a sword fight against Roronoa Zoro?
Both seem extremely talented with a blade, but, I just can't help but wonder, who is better?
The question here, is not only that, but, on a world ranking, how talented is Yajirobe?
How would he do in a sword fight against Yamcha, or Trunks, of Tapion, or Terror, or Kugo, if the fight was purely sword skill based? I realize none of these people use the same style blade.

I'd like to think (Power levels aside) that Yajirobe is one of the best swordsmen in existence, but against Zoro, or another swordsman of equal power level, I'm not sure how he'd do.

Thoughts, opinions?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Sword skill

Post by rereboy » Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 am

Zoro can slice a big ship in one slash and he can even cut metal when he is focused. And he has no super human abilities, just sword skill.

So, Zoro is better with a sword than anyone in Dragon Ball.

kaioshoryuken

Post by kaioshoryuken » Wed May 04, 2011 6:42 am

Yajirobe would lose the battle - you know he hates being in the face of danger. That little pansy is just going to run away :P

So, while he might have some power and epic skills, he's just not going to use them, therefore losing.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 am

Yajirobe has unnatural strength for a human, but then again so does Zoro.

Zoro is far more skilled than any sword fighter throughout DBZ.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:12 pm

rereboy wrote:And he has no super human abilities, just sword skill.
Zoro displayed super-human strength through the whole manga...

Besides, "sword skill" in One Piece world means stopping a magma punch!
Silver Sinspawn wrote:Although extremely proficient with a blade, how do you think Yajirobe would do in a sword fight against Roronoa Zoro?
Yajirobe is even stronger than Goku and Ma Junior in the 23rd, he is so being the normal humans that it's already hard to find a manga to compare

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Fox666 wrote:

Not really... I get your point and he is strong (strength wise), but I consider super human level strength something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoPzZmoH ... re=related

Considering that Goku was able to lift Giant Piccolo at the 23rd tournament and since Yajirobe in the saiyan saga is much stronger that Goku was at the time , I would consider something like that to be the minimum for a character to have super human strength when we are talking about super strength in One Piece and Dragon Ball.
Last edited by rereboy on Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Zoro isn't strong as Jozu (who is?), but we have seen a lot of super-human feats

Here is one example from a very old chapter

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Hmm, granted, I had forgotten about that moment.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Wed May 04, 2011 4:46 pm

rereboy wrote:Hmm, granted, I had forgotten about that moment.
You forgot about that epic moment? *gives you the evil eye*

What skill what might the OP be talking about? Yajirobe? Sword skill? He's just a fat, lazy samurai has been who happens to carry a sword around. When has he shown he has any skill with it? Slashing Vegeta's tail off is hardly skill, more inhuman strength than anything.

Zoro would put Yajirobe to shame
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Zionist wrote:When has he shown he has any skill with it?
Perhaps slicing Cymbal in two, which Goku was impressed by. Other than that, we don't see him do much with it, but I think it's safe to assume that he's fairly skilled with it. Same with Trunks, as he uses it as his main weapon and against the Androids.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed May 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Fox666 wrote:Yajirobe is even stronger than Goku and Ma Junior in the 23rd, he is so being the normal humans that it's already hard to find a manga to compare
Uh... not really. I'm a pretty big manga fan (I own over 300 volumes), and characters "surpassing human limits" is pretty damn common. I'm not big on fanmade power levels, so I don't have much to say when it comes to stuff like "Could DB character A beat One Piece character B? How about Kenshin character X?" I just wanted to point out that Dragon Ball is most certainly not the only manga that features humans performing superhuman accomplishments.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Perhaps slicing Cymbal in two, which Goku was impressed by. Other than that, we don't see him do much with it, but I think it's safe to assume that he's fairly skilled with it. Same with Trunks, as he uses it as his main weapon and against the Androids.
Inhuman strength was what that was. Slicing through someone is strength. Skill is what the likes of Dracule Mihawk displays. Using a tiny necklace sized sword to fend off three normal sized katana. That's skill. Slicing through skin, strength

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Zionist wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Inhuman strength was what that was. Slicing through someone is strength. Skill is what the likes of Dracule Mihawk displays. Using a tiny necklace sized sword to fend off three normal sized katana. That's skill. Slicing through skin, strength
Fair enough. What would you call Trunks slicing Freeza into pieces? Skill or just strength and speed?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Strength and Speed. Strength to slice through his body, Speed for how quickly he was slicing. Ya know, I guess Trunks vs Frieza had at least some skill involved, he did dice Frieza into tiny pieces. Eh... Not much though

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Zionist wrote:Strength and Speed. Strength to slice through his body, Speed for how quickly he was slicing. Ya know, I guess Trunks vs Freeza had at least some skill involved, he did dice Freeza into tiny pieces. Eh... Not much though
Yeah, I agree.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed May 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Zionist wrote:
rereboy wrote:Hmm, granted, I had forgotten about that moment.
You forgot about that epic moment? *gives you the evil eye*

What skill what might the OP be talking about? Yajirobe? Sword skill? He's just a fat, lazy samurai has been who happens to carry a sword around. When has he shown he has any skill with it? Slashing Vegeta's tail off is hardly skill, more inhuman strength than anything.

Zoro would put Yajirobe to shame
One Piece is pretty long as it is and I've read/watched it much less than I read/watched Dragon Ball. That scene in particular I think I've only read/watched it once.

I clearly remember how Zoro defeat that guy but I forgot about him lifting that thing.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 am

kaioshoryuken wrote:Yajirobe would lose the battle - you know he hates being in the face of danger. That little pansy is just going to run away :P

So, while he might have some power and epic skills, he's just not going to use them, therefore losing.
If we ignore the fact that he is a "coward". If he was more powerful than a man who was more powerful than a man who blew up the moon, then he's clearly amazingly powerful.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 am

Eddie wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yajirobe is even stronger than Goku and Ma Junior in the 23rd, he is so being the normal humans that it's already hard to find a manga to compare
Uh... not really. I'm a pretty big manga fan (I own over 300 volumes), and characters "surpassing human limits" is pretty damn common. I'm not big on fanmade power levels, so I don't have much to say when it comes to stuff like "Could DB character A beat One Piece character B? How about Kenshin character X?" I just wanted to point out that Dragon Ball is most certainly not the only manga that features humans performing superhuman accomplishments.
Well, which other mangas we have which guys travel across the whole planet and even destroy them? =P

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu May 05, 2011 6:27 am

Fox666 wrote:Well, which other mangas we have which guys travel across the whole planet and even destroy them? =P
Tenchi Muyo! is even further beyond Dragon Ball in that regard. But I think Eddie's point was that "super human" in the real world and "super human" in shonen are two separate things, not that every other shonen is comparable to Dragon Ball in its feats. I mean, how many shonen swordsmen can we name that can't cut something in half that would be impossible in the real world?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Thu May 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Fox666 wrote:

It was the mastery of haki that let Shanks/Whitebeard stop the magma fist, not his (as of yet unseen but much heard of) sword skill.

Sorry, had to say something to that. :P
Proud to be a S<3NE.