Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ooishi Doing V-Jump Manga

Post by Shoryuken » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Kyabira: キャビラ = Can't figure out anything possibly for it.
Toobi: トービ = Beat? ビート
Could be caterpillar (キャタピラー) and beetle (ビートル). Kinda like those two guys from the Anoyoichi-Budokai, in the anime...
IMHO his sealife theme, shark fin and all, means that it probably could be taken from caviar (キャビア Kyabia) plus the kaiju-name suffix -(j)ira.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Shoryuken wrote:IMHO his sealife theme, shark fin and all, means that it probably could be taken from caviar (キャビア Kyabia) plus the kaiju-name suffix -(j)ira.
Suffix that comes from "kujira" / "whale".
My first guess was "caterpillar" (so the two bad guys would have bug-based name puns, versus fruit-based name puns for the good ones), but that too sounds possible, indeed.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Can't wait for them scanlations :3

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Just gonna remind people to go out and actually purchase things if you want them. Don't just rely on scanlations for stuff. Put your money where your fandom is to some degree.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Just gonna remind people to go out and actually purchase things if you want them. Don't just rely on scanlations for stuff. Put your money where your fandom is to some degree.
Coming from the guy who is hosting Neko Majin scanlations. You can preach if you want, but I'll purchase the manga and support the fandom when it's available in the US, the same as I did with Cross Epoch (not that I see that happening any time soon). Until then, I'll follow the same rule set forth with your hostings, and I'll wait for the inevitable scans and then buy it when I can understand it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Okay, you don't need to bash VegettoEX. As far I know, the site hosting must follow laws. VegettoEX can't simply let people turn the forum in a piracy sharing room. And he was relatively relaxed in simply giving a council.

Takuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Takuy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Just gonna remind people to go out and actually purchase things if you want them. Don't just rely on scanlations for stuff. Put your money where your fandom is to some degree.
Lets not forget that...it's pointless to buy an imported product if you can't understand it. I'm sure everyone would import it, if they knew the language and could understand what they bought.

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Takuy wrote:
Lets not forget that...it's pointless to buy an imported product if you can't understand it. I'm sure everyone would import it, if they knew the language and could understand what they bought.
That all depends. I have been buying Japanese Dragonball books with the intent or learning the language & eventually being able to read them. I know that will take many many years, but in the meantime I can look at the pretty pictures, & as it is they tell enough of the story in most cases.

Sadly the August issue of V-Jump is sold out, unless someone knows anywhere else I can buy it online...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 am

I barely read any Japanese but I still buy the Japanese books. There's more to a book than just the words inside of them. Having the eight Japanese tankoubon I have on my shelf is a mark of prestige among my collection. If I had the money I'd buy all of these special JUMP issues on a regular basis for the sake of my collection.

Then again, that'd probably come after I buy myself a computer, PS3, HDTV, and car. O.o
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:40 am

Fox666 wrote:Okay, you don't need to bash VegettoEX. As far I know, the site hosting must follow laws. VegettoEX can't simply let people turn the forum in a piracy sharing room. And he was relatively relaxed in simply giving a council.
I wasn't really trying to bash him or suggest he allow links to the scanlation once it becomes available, but not all of us would be able to buy the magazine anyway, even if importing was an option because magazines aren't like books. Most of the time, when their run is done, you're out of luck. I have neither the money nor the means to import a book which is sold out nearly everywhere, costs almost more than the book itself to ship, and that I can't understand. When/if the product becomes available to me in my country I will be happy to buy it at the reasonable price at which it is sold, but until then I will do what I have to do to learn about or view more of the franchises story.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:16 am

Why does every point Mike tries to make become a source of conflict?

All I gathered from his comment is that, in addition to sharing information about the manga, to actually buy the manga and support the franchise. That's... kinda how fandom is meant to work. o.o

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Sadly the August issue of V-Jump is sold out, unless someone knows anywhere else I can buy it online...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0054QVOZ0/

Their shipping prices are painful if you only want to buy one item (I bought a couple things with mine), but if you want it badly enough, it's still in stock for now. And if it does run out, you could even consider using a deputy service to buy a copy from one of the other sellers.
-Rachel

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Dizrythmia wrote:That all depends. I have been buying Japanese Dragonball books with the intent or learning the language & eventually being able to read them. I know that will take many many years, but in the meantime I can look at the pretty pictures, & as it is they tell enough of the story in most cases.
Ditto.

Amazon-JP shipping is a bit too steep for me at the moment for just one item, I think I'll wait untill Mandarake or whatnot has it.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 pm

StarRot wrote:Amazon-JP shipping is a bit too steep for me at the moment for just one item, I think I'll wait untill Mandarake or whatnot has it.
Same here. As much as I want to purchase this issue I have to wait until it's up on another online store that has reasonable shipping prices.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:03 am

I buy quite a lot of Japanese books that I can't understand either. I'll gladly buy this Bardock Manga if it comes out as a Tankobon. But I do have to agree with the comment made about Neko Majin. People can easily obtain that Tankobon from online websites, yet this very site hosts some Scanslations.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 am

I'm with Lemmy -- why do you people have to take things to such crazy degrees and get your panties in a wad over a helpful suggestion?

I didn't say don't look for scanlations ever period. I didn't say don't pass them around on your own. I didn't say your mom is a whore because you anticipate them instead of wanting to spend years learning Japanese.

I simply suggested that, after plenty of posts in a row expressing interest in getting it for free, hey -- maybe you might want to also purchase something every once in a while, too, since it's actually NEW and AVAILABLE and might be worth adding to your collection. We've talked so much about the franchise's merchandise sales sending it down into oblivion lately, that maybe fans that want to see new stuff like this might actually want to support it every once in a while in a legal fashion if they want more.

I mean, we're talking a $5 magazine here. If you're near an area and can pick it up, AND you're interested in it, there's really no excuse. If you're not near a place that has it and can't find it online, OK fine... maybe consider picking it up in the future. I'm struggling to understand why this is such a preposterous concept.

Back to your regular, non-snarky, helpful discussion. Thanks!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 am

How much is this issue of V-Jump on Amazon Japan? I checked myself, but what I came up with can't be right. 500 yen for the issue and 3000 yen for shipping and handling to North America? Which comes to about $43 USD??? Really?!

Edit: Oh thats the price of shipping and handling for "Express Shipping." Well, then where is the price for regular shipping?
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am

There isn't, since that's their only option on Amazon Japan for overseas shipping.

Other places will get it in stock soon. The issue JUST came out this past week, and it's a monthly magazine. If anyone has suggestions on reliable places to get it, by all means toss them into the mix.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:26 am

What about your local Kinokuniya stores. Don't they have them?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:What about your local Kinokuniya stores. Don't they have them?
Sadly, not everyone of us lives near one. :P
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf