Reanimated parts you prefer.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Reanimated parts you prefer.

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I know one of the parts of Kai that is pretty disliked by the majority is the newly redrawn sequences. Bits that were redone either to eliminate cell damage, conform to modern standards, fix errors, or just plain update the show. Now, a lot of these were horridly done either with poor line art or simply showcasing any little animation mistakes in the tracing now in HD glory.

Still, there were scenes that were improvements IMHO. This is the thread to discuss the parts you thought looked better or were at least well done.

To start off, I really liked the updated Ginyu Tokusentai entrance as well as the sequence with Vegeta firing multiple Ki blasts at Gohan.

What do you guys think?

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Reanimated parts you prefer.

Post by penguintruth » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 pm

A lot of Cell Games stuff looks pretty gorgeous.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:58 pm

penguintruth wrote:A lot of Cell Games stuff looks pretty gorgeous.
So they fixed some of the um... overly-jaded-pointy drawings from the Cell saga?

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:06 am

None of them. They all look awkward and unconvincing to me.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:47 am

I liked the Gyallic Hō vs. Kame Hame Ha scene.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 am

I love the reanimated bits in Cell's Perfect Transformation sequence (which will be aired on Nicktoons Thursday) Anyone who doesn't...well then they just don't :p I believe its the best reanimated scene(s) out of every episode in Kai.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:
penguintruth wrote:A lot of Cell Games stuff looks pretty gorgeous.
So they fixed some of the um... overly-jaded-pointy drawings from the Cell saga?
Well mostly I'm talking about bits of SSJ and SSJ2 Gohan during his fight with Cell. Just stunning at times.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

One redrawn scene I liked was the shot of Gohan in episode 93 when hes about to confront Cell. (The shot is also used at the end of the recap in episode 94)

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 pm

One thing I've noticed is that the scenes that have a lot of animation that they have to redo is better than scenes that are basically still images with lipflaps.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 am

The re-traced parts of the episode where Vegeta dies at the hands of Freeza stick out in my mind for some reason. Honestly though, I kind of just wish scenes in Kai weren't re-animated at all, but I understand why they are.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 am

Puto wrote:I liked the Gyallic Hō vs. Kame Hame Ha scene.
I have to second this opinion.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:38 pm

A lot of the scenes with new auras or ki blasts look amazing, such as the one where Vegeta spams ki blasts at Gohan, but that was completely redrawn, so I don't know if that counts...
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:05 am

I prefer the Goku/Ginyu body change scene. I really like that rainbow effect.